Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Apr 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,471 of 2,024
Quote:
I agree that the LOD on the F is rather low in output level.  However, I find it to sound better than the headphone out when amping the lineout with my Pico Power.  Still, the improvements aren't drastic.

Makes sense... I suppose I can't extract enough volume using the line out to get a viable comparison when using my Mad Dog orthos. They are quite power hungry!

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,473 of 2,024
Quote:

The CKS1000 can be a better choice for the F due to the output impedance needed for the XBA-40 (at zero if possible), anyway the XBA-4 play well for me with the F and they have a lot of bass :)

Thanks, i wish i can try them out before buying..
so imma wait till July since i'm traveling to japan.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,474 of 2,024
Different question for you guys about the F series.  Does anyone still use playlists and if so, what media manager are you using to transfer them onto the F?  I have at least 50% of my files in Flac, if that makes a difference.  I wasn't happy with any of the immediate options, but wanted to see what everyone else is using.  By the way I've got the white F807, and am slowly transitioning from my X1061, love that little guy.  My previous library was managed by win media player since I had mostly mp3 and wma files.  Love the F, don't know if as much as the X, still some issues with the software and software and physical choices I don't agree with; however, I do enjoy listening to Flac now especially with my MDR-1R headphones...wow! 

Regards
JB

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #1,475 of 2,024
I don't really use playlist, the only playlists I use are either recently added (which is automatically available), and the songs I used for testing equipments (made using on the go playlist)

For transferring my media, I simply use drag and drop

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,476 of 2,024
Quote:
Different question for you guys about the F series.  Does anyone still use playlists and if so, what media manager are you using to transfer them onto the F?  I have at least 50% of my files in Flac, if that makes a difference.  I wasn't happy with any of the immediate options, but wanted to see what everyone else is using.  By the way I've got the white F807, and am slowly transitioning from my X1061, love that little guy.  My previous library was managed by win media player since I had mostly mp3 and wma files.  Love the F, don't know if as much as the X, still some issues with the software and software and physical choices I don't agree with; however, I do enjoy listening to Flac now especially with my MDR-1R headphones...wow! 

Regards
JB

If you find the F is too big, you may want to get the A86X walkman.  I love the X, but prefer my the A & F over the X for sure.  The F is a tad long but beside that I found it to be a great and well executed product by Sony. 
Quote:
I don't really use playlist, the only playlists I use are either recently added (which is automatically available), and the songs I used for testing equipments (made using on the go playlist)

For transferring my media, I simply use drag and drop

Drag and drop as well.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,477 of 2,024
Alright, thanks, it sounds like I'll just go drag and drop.  I'm going to have to do some major managing of my library to update tags and what not, that should preclude the need for playlists, provided that I've got everything tagged with the right genres.  

As for the size of the F, I have no problem with that, I just miss the X's physical buttons.  Additionally, the F's walkman software, while sounding great (which is most important to me), just doesn't seem to have some of the intuition that the X had.  For instance, if you select a song to play, then the unit's display goes off, when you go back to the song list, it starts over from the top of the list.  That wasn't an issue with the X.  Also, when playing my library on random, the unit may land on a song from an artist that I would like to listen to more of, there's no way of selecting that artist from the song playing, you have to back up to the library and find the artist then go from there.  Not big deal, but just little things I enjoyed about the previous walkman iterations, nothing that a firmware update or software update couldn't fix.  The F sounds fantastic, and it plays Flac, so I couldn't ask for anything else.  Thanks for the help guys. 

jb

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,478 of 2,024
Quote:
Alright, thanks, it sounds like I'll just go drag and drop.  I'm going to have to do some major managing of my library to update tags and what not, that should preclude the need for playlists, provided that I've got everything tagged with the right genres.  

As for the size of the F, I have no problem with that, I just miss the X's physical buttons.  Additionally, the F's walkman software, while sounding great (which is most important to me), just doesn't seem to have some of the intuition that the X had.  For instance, if you select a song to play, then the unit's display goes off, when you go back to the song list, it starts over from the top of the list.  That wasn't an issue with the X.  Also, when playing my library on random, the unit may land on a song from an artist that I would like to listen to more of, there's no way of selecting that artist from the song playing, you have to back up to the library and find the artist then go from there.  Not big deal, but just little things I enjoyed about the previous walkman iterations, nothing that a firmware update or software update couldn't fix.  The F sounds fantastic, and it plays Flac, so I couldn't ask for anything else.  Thanks for the help guys. 

jb

Bold - doesn't happen to my F
Red - Yeah, that's one annoying thing, but if you didn't turn off the screen, it won't be restarted to the top of the list
Underline - I don't get what are you trying to say, if you want random songs only from specific artists, go to artist section, pick your artist, play

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,479 of 2,024
Quote:
Underline - I don't get what are you trying to say, if you want random songs only from specific artists, go to artist section, pick your artist, play

I think he means if let's say he's random listening to all of his music, then a Bob Marley song comes up, he'd want to click Bob Marley's name to show up more of his songs and continue listening from there. Kinda like coverflow. Well, even Xperia phones with Walkman had that on Gingerbread I remember, it disappeared on ICS and onwards, though.

The fact that gets to me is that you can't even search for a specific song. At least on my Walkman Z. Xperia walkman software has more features.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,480 of 2,024
Anyone here ever tried the 'reverb' on playerpro cause mine didn't have effect at all no matter what surrounding I choose..I just bought my nwz f806 and I wonder if anyone else have issue like me..thx

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,481 of 2,024
Quote:

I think he means if let's say he's random listening to all of his music, then a Bob Marley song comes up, he'd want to click Bob Marley's name to show up more of his songs and continue listening from there. Kinda like coverflow. Well, even Xperia phones with Walkman had that on Gingerbread I remember, it disappeared on ICS and onwards, though.

The fact that gets to me is that you can't even search for a specific song. At least on my Walkman Z. Xperia walkman software has more features.

aah, I see now, yeah they don't have anything like that.

I don't really mind about that though, but search would be really nice

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,482 of 2,024
Quote:
For instance, if you select a song to play, then the unit's display goes off, when you go back to the song list, it starts over from the top of the list.  

Ok, so I was going about the song list incorrectly, I was using the android back button to go back to the song list, which after the display goes dark would then revert to the top of the songlist, no matter how large of a list (I could be on song 60 of 61, but the list goes back to 1). However, if I just swipe to the left, while on the currently playing song cover art, then the song list that's brought up is what I'm after, which displays the song in the order of the list.  So at least that's figured out.  Now if only the search function or the ability to select an artist from a randomly playing song was brought back, we'd be good to go. 

Thanks
JB

May 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,483 of 2,024
Quote:

Ok, so I was going about the song list incorrectly, I was using the android back button to go back to the song list, which after the display goes dark would then revert to the top of the songlist, no matter how large of a list (I could be on song 60 of 61, but the list goes back to 1). However, if I just swipe to the left, while on the currently playing song cover art, then the song list that's brought up is what I'm after, which displays the song in the order of the list.  So at least that's figured out.  Now if only the search function or the ability to select an artist from a randomly playing song was brought back, we'd be good to go. 

Thanks
JB

THAT, is if you didn't set random play as your default....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back