SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,521 of 7,541
Hello!

Been stalking this thread for quite a while before making a purchase of a Sony NW A16 MGS. I am a big fan of the Metal Gear games and I saw that Sony was releasing a special version of the A-10 just for MGSV:TPP.  I am new to HiRez audio but with such a sweet player I definitely want to get the most out of it. This thread has been a wealth of information, and please correct me if I have asked something already answered in the many pages. 

I have a couple of questions if you guys could help me that would be awesome.

1. I assume my product is region locked and therefore stuck in Japanese? I knew this was probably the case and I know a little Japanese and have already figured out a couple of the menu options but I just wanted to know if anyone knew about this particular model.

2. Related to "1" can anyone share some images of the basic menus/settings page in English and I can try and match up that for my version. From the Japanese unboxing videos to some press photos it looks like lots of the items are in the same place, I figure anything from the A-10 series could help me. 

3. I just updated the firmware using the Media-GO app I found on this thread, and those patch notes were in Japanese :) Its ok to update Japanese player with English version of Media Go? I hope they would release and English option down the line but I doubt it.

4. Would these Sennheiser HD 598 (http://amzn.com/B0042A8CW2) be good match for the A16? I have the PC360's for PC gaming through my Creative Zxi sound card and they sound great. I was hoping these would too considering they look similarly designed.  I was also seeing some Sony AINC thing which I figured was something paired for Sony Headphones?

5. If there is anything else you guys think would be important to point out to a new Walkman owner, specifically the A10 Series please let me know.

Thank you so much! 

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #5,522 of 7,541
  Hello!

Been stalking this thread for quite a while before making a purchase of a Sony NW A16 MGS. I am a big fan of the Metal Gear games and I saw that Sony was releasing a special version of the A-10 just for MGSV:TPP.  I am new to HiRez audio but with such a sweet player I definitely want to get the most out of it. This thread has been a wealth of information, and please correct me if I have asked something already answered in the many pages. 

1. I assume my product is region locked and therefore stuck in Japanese? I knew this was probably the case and I know a little Japanese and have already figured out a couple of the menu options but I just wanted to know if anyone knew about this particular model.

2. Related to "1" can anyone share some images of the basic menus/settings page in English and I can try and match up that for my version. From the Japanese unboxing videos to some press photos it looks like lots of the items are in the same place, I figure anything from the A-10 series could help me. 

3. I just updated the firmware using the Media-GO app I found on this thread, and those patch notes were in Japanese :) Its ok to update Japanese player with English version of Media Go? I hope they would release and English option down the line but I doubt it.

4. Would these Sennheiser HD 598 (http://amzn.com/B0042A8CW2) be good match for the A16? I have the PC360's for PC gaming through my Creative Zxi sound card and they sound great. I was hoping these would too considering they look similarly designed.  I was also seeing some Sony AINC thing which I figured was something paired for Sony Headphones?

5. If there is anything else you guys think would be important to point out to a new Walkman owner, specifically the A10 Series please let me know.

Thank you so much! 

Regarding #2, here is a link to the online English manual page for the Home Menu:

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwza10/v1/en/contents/TP0000428511.html

You'll probably find that manual of good use.

Re: #4, I have the HD598. They have a warm sound with the A17. I don't need to have them very loud to get very good bass. In fact a volume level of 16 is fine for comfortable listening. But for Metal? I don't know.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #5,523 of 7,541
  I have te XBA-H3 (for sale :D) but i note those are difficult to drive with my A17 (international model), not about loudness but feel they sound a bit tubey, not meant warm tube amp-like sound but if sound was played down a drain pipe

my MDR-1R sound great on the player albeit sometimes mid-centric but mostly gone

I know what you mean and that's exactly how I also would describe the sound of the A paired with my xba h3. Now the X does not have any issues driving the h3. Funny thing is, the A seems to drive my MDR-1A cans pretty well (better volume, a little more bass) so it seems like I'll have to invest in another pair of iems. Could you recommend some good in-ears for the A? I was looking at the xba z5, I could get them for about 599$ but I'm not sure if these will make any difference.

Using an AMP would also be a good idea but as I said, I'm on the road most of the time and carrying a player + AMP isn't very portable for me. I also carry a Z3 phone in my pocket...

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #5,525 of 7,541
I picked up an A15 from Amazon recently and It seems to be acting a bit strange - certain albums that are visible in medioGo are not visible when I unhook it from the computer. When it starts and scans the library it comes up with a message that the device might have been disconnected during transfer (it hasn't) and Sense me channels just makes it crash everytime. Any help appreciated before I give it a reset?

EDIT: Solved - did a library rebuild and it seems ok now. Not entirely sure what caused it, perhaps something didn't transfer properly?!

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #5,527 of 7,541
Hi all. Got a question re Bluetooth on the nwz-a17. I bought a tiny portable Bluetooth speaker (anker a7910) which doesn't have any volume controls. When I pair up the a17 it plays at a fixed but too loud volume. But the a17 volume control is now disabled. I've no way to drop the Bluetooth paired volume down to a listenable level. Anyone any thoughts, suggestions etc?
 PS to be honest its not a huge problem. The anker speaker also came with a lead (headphone plug to mini USB) and if I connect using that the volume control on the a17 DOES work then. Its just a shame that with a Bluetooth connection the volume control gets disabled and thus your speakers, headphones etc must have a volume control to be able to adjust volume level!
Regards.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #5,528 of 7,541
dont know about your bluetooth speakers .. but i tested the bluetooth connection before and the volume level works ... despit that there are no indication for volume level .. but it do work

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #5,529 of 7,541
  Hi all. Got a question re Bluetooth on the nwz-a17. I bought a tiny portable Bluetooth speaker (anker a7910) which doesn't have any volume controls. When I pair up the a17 it plays at a fixed but too loud volume. But the a17 volume control is now disabled. I've no way to drop the Bluetooth paired volume down to a listenable level. Anyone any thoughts, suggestions etc?
 PS to be honest its not a huge problem. The anker speaker also came with a lead (headphone plug to mini USB) and if I connect using that the volume control on the a17 DOES work then. Its just a shame that with a Bluetooth connection the volume control gets disabled and thus your speakers, headphones etc must have a volume control to be able to adjust volume level!
Regards.

not sure this will work but have you tried turning down the A17's volume a few notches before enabling bluetooth on your a17 and connecting it to your bluetooth speaker?
i think the volume may be determined by whatever it was set at prior to turning on the bluetooth function.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #5,530 of 7,541
  The Final Audio Heaven V make a great match with the A17. The clear, airy sound of the A17 combined with the slight warmth of the Heaven V go together just great!

dunu 1000 sounds incredible with the A17

Thanks, I'll check them out. Hope I can find these models in my country because importing would cost me a lot.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #5,531 of 7,541
I was at the IFA fair in Berlin yesterday and tried the A15 with the short Oppo DAC cable with every portable DAC i could find.

I can confirm that this combo works with every DAC i tried. I assume this combo works simply everytime.

I tried the following DACs:
Sony PHA-3
Onkyo HA-200
Teac HA-P50
Audio Technica  AT-PHA100

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #5,532 of 7,541
  Hello!

Thank you so much! 

Hey!!!   MGS fan? Me too.  I was gonna purchase the A16 Metal gear but I decided to go with something more 80s / Walkman like:
Cayin N5
Threw a diamond dogs sticker on it.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,533 of 7,541
I know what you mean and that's exactly how I also would describe the sound of the A paired with my xba h3. Now the X does not have any issues driving the h3. Funny thing is, the A seems to drive my MDR-1A cans pretty well (better volume, a little more bass) so it seems like I'll have to invest in another pair of iems. Could you recommend some good in-ears for the A? I was looking at the xba z5, I could get them for about 599$ but I'm not sure if these will make any difference.

Using an AMP would also be a good idea but as I said, I'm on the road most of the time and carrying a player + AMP isn't very portable for me. I also carry a Z3 phone in my pocket...

I ordered the sep-up frim the H3: the XBA-A3 (xheaper than XBA-Z5) still not in my hands... seems funny amazon says pending for shipment and the seller "japaneseLady" says they shipped it yesterday

Thereason i am selling the H3 in favor of the A3, becaiuse some people here and other sites claim these are the incremental development of sonys previos Hybrid (as they developed a new linear-drive armature instead of rod-driven).

Even with an amp like my HA-2 i note the "tubey/hollow" sound of the H3's like played in a small bathroom / drain sewer / Underground subway station

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #5,534 of 7,541

Regarding #2, here is a link to the online English manual page for the Home Menu:

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwza10/v1/en/contents/TP0000428511.html

You'll probably find that manual of good use.

Re: #4, I have the HD598. They have a warm sound with the A17. I don't need to have them very loud to get very good bass. In fact a volume level of 16 is fine for comfortable listening. But for Metal? I don't know.

Thank you!

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #5,535 of 7,541
  I was at the IFA fair in Berlin yesterday and tried the A15 with the short Oppo DAC cable with every portable DAC i could find.

I can confirm that this combo works with every DAC i tried. I assume this combo works simply everytime.

I tried the following DACs:
Sony PHA-3
Onkyo HA-200
Teac HA-P50
Audio Technica  AT-PHA100

which oppo short cable? you meant the micro USB-B to micro USB-B or a sony sspecial one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back