SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 31, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #871 of 7,541
i guess if it not officially released until 8 nov (according to pricejapan) and after that when actual owners can play with the settings, how exactly can anyone inc sony reps(?) say for 100% yes or no? it is all speculation until then.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #872 of 7,541
yup, you can order the Hong Kong version which is the same as the European version from yesasia.com, they ship worldwide, I just ordered a pink 64GB and they'll ship it within 7 days, I'm so excited.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #875 of 7,541
Like some have observed, I cant believe the battery life on this thing...it last FOREVER.
Been using it constantly since yesterday afternoon....its not even close to be finished. The EQ on this player is the bees knees

Compared to the X1 I'd take this over it 10 times out of 10 without question, compared to the X3 its a close call but I think this wins overall, so many positives from the UI, to the clean sound, the EQ, the portability and looks.

You really need to acquaint yourself with the sound options to get the best out of this player, I found leaving DSEE HX and Clear Audio off, but tailoring Clear Bass and the EQ to be the best option for all the types of music that I listen to, which is quite varied.

Using Sony MDR-V6s and Etymotic ER4-PT to present music in clear monitor fashion, everything sounds absolutely fantastic, you'd be nuts not to give this player some time. Very happy indeed.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #876 of 7,541
  Like some have observed, I cant believe the battery life on this thing...it last FOREVER.
Been using it constantly since yesterday afternoon....its not even close to be finished. The EQ on this player is the bees knees

Compared to the X1 I'd take this over it 10 times out of 10 without question, compared to the X3 its a close call but I think this wins overall, so many positives from the UI, to the clean sound, the EQ, the portability and looks.

You really need to acquaint yourself with the sound options to get the best out of this player, I found leaving DSEE HX and Clear Audio off, but tailoring Clear Bass and the EQ to be the best option for all the types of music that I listen to, which is quite varied.

Using Sony MDR-V6s and Etymotic ER4-PT to present music in clear monitor fashion, everything sounds absolutely fantastic, you'd be nuts not to give this player some time. Very happy indeed.

100% TRUTH.The eq,especially bass boost on walkmans is indeed awesome,,,plus the unique eq preset is great for pop.

In comparison x1 lacks the bass boost and its difficult to use a 7 band eq urself.

Now if only sony could release it in india
mad.gif
.My brother is already finding x1 bulky and was complaining about wheel too.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #877 of 7,541

I did audition the A15 briefly and thought it sounds very good as well.  Almost bought it on the spot but settled with the PHA-3 and will wait for price of the A17 to come down slightly state side.  I'm not hurting given that I already have the ZX1.  The ZX1 does sound better than the A15 on a short encounter tho...just mainly on better refinement over all.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #878 of 7,541

Thanks for these comments about battery life and tailoring the sound!  It's very encouraging.

I love Sony!

Prior to getting the bug-ridden FiiO X5 a few months ago, with which I purposely avoid UI bugs by using only folder browsing for file navigation, I used a Sony PCM-M10 recorder/player as my DAP for over 3 years, almost daily, via the Line Out from its 96/24-capable, proprietary sigma-delta DAC to either a Meier Stepdance or an iBasso PB2.  

Sony really knows how to build electronics that are efficient in terms of battery consumption. Not only can the Sony PCM-M10 go more than 30 hours on a pair of rechargeable AA batteries, it has a microSD card reader - and that is a big deal for me, as it allows me to carry my entire library of 44/16 and 96/24 WAV files (it only supports WAV and MP3) on eight 64GB cards (they're not full yet) in this nifty carrier:

DiMeCard micro8 microSD Memory Card Holder

People who use iDevices - all of which lack card readers - really don't know what they're missing.  Whether 16GB, 32GB, or even 128GB - that's all you get!  They seem to be brainwashed into thinking that it's "OK" to constantly delete and upload new music into their iDevices for a day's outing, or deleting apps and photos to make room for more albums.  What a hassle!

And Apple has recently discontinued the iPod Classic (including the 160GB model) - allegedly for "lack of parts availability," not for lack of sales!  

tongue.gif

My Sony PCM-M10 is back in service despite my having the FiiO X5, now that I am Beta testing the OPPO HA-2 DAC/amp, but I'm bypassing its ESS9018M2 DAC, taking the M10's Line Out to the HA-2's very capable amp section, which lasts about 8 hours per charge cycle.  (Note: This is a prototype, so changes may occur in the release version - likely for the better, but it's best to make this known.)

In my experience, the Sony PCM-M10's UI has been bug-free across over three years of daily use.  Just think about that in comparison to the gear coming from iBasso, HiFiMan, Astell & Kern and FiiO, for example - which can still be troublesome, even if you wait for several firmware upgrades before buying, instead of jumping in as an early adopter (i.e. as a volunteer QA tester.)

But get this:  Sony has never released an update for its version 1.0.0 firmware for the PCM-M10, but these other vendors pour firmware updates down our throats continuously, until the updates just stop coming - with bugs still outstanding - on the release of a replacement product. Now, we have to cut them a lot of slack, seriously, for the fact that they are producing product in small numbers, and they give us products with powerful amps and great sound quality that the legion of Joe Consumers out there simply aren't capable of appreciating with their ear buds and cheap headphones.  

But the quality control of Sony's UIs is what I love about Sony more than anything else!  They get it right before they release their products to the customers. And from my perspective, OPPO is every bit as dedicated to quality assurance as Sony. Take this with a grain of salt, if you like, given that I've been a Beta tester for OPPO since December of last year, but I'm telling you, OPPO and Sony, independently, are birds of a feather in terms of QA, compared to any of the other portable Head-Fi manufacturers, with the exception of CEntrance and Meier Audio - in my admittedly very limited experience - but thus far, OPPO, CEntrance and Meier Audio have not released any DAPs that require a UI, so my hat's off to Sony for delivering a complex UI that's as friendly as that of a Sandisk Sansa Clip+.

Sony's biggest problem, in my opinion, is that they (smartly) go for high-volume sales - they are not a boutique manufacturer - but the problem with this has been that they have to cater to Joe Consumer, but Joe Consumer is ignorant of "high fidelity audio" for lack of a better term. What Joe Consumer wants more than anything else is a small, lightweight form factor, sleek appearance, and a very long battery life.  

The easiest way to keep the size and weight down is to use a small battery, and this in turn requires a W-E-A-K amplifier. But remember, Joe Consumer doesn't know any better. Sony's intended market for their DAPs has no knowledge of all the relatively inefficient, great-sounding headphones that need a lot more power than what the Sony PHA-1 and PHA-2 amps can deliver.  At a still moderate 320mW per channel of maximum output - not rms - into 32-Ohms, the Sony PHA-3 DAC/amp is their first viable option, in my opinion, for use with relatively inefficient headphones, but they have to be cabled for the PHA-3's balanced output or you won't even get the 320mW peak output.)  

We don't have specs yet for the OPPO HA-2 and it may very well turn out to have less power than the Sony PHA-3, especially given that it's smaller and lighter, but I'm hearing excellent bass control and great dynamics from the prototype I'm testing, when used with the relatively efficient OPPO PM-1 planar magnetic.  (Again, the released version may be perform differently.)  

In addition to accepting digital input from iOS and Android devices (most of which lack card readers), the OPPO HA-2 accepts USB input for Hi-Res PCM and DSD files from PCs, laptops, Macbooks, etc. - so I'm hoping that the Sony NWZ-A17 can be used with the HA-2 via the WMC-NWH10 cable.

I'm waiting for OPPO staff to tell me whether or not the HA-2 expects to receive 5VDC power (in addition to data) when using USB input.  If not, I'll order an A17 to find out if it's compatible with the HA-2.

----------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:  OPPO staff says they have tested their HA-2 portable DAC/amp with a Walkman (?) using the WMC-NWH10 cable (pictured above) and found that due to the Walkman supplying only data, without providing 5V power at the cable's USB A connector, the HA-2 cannot detect that it's connected to a USB source.  

The HA-2 has a three-position "A/B/C" source selection switch that communicates your choice of sources, as follows:

A - Analog Line In from an external DAC (to the Line In TRS jack)
B - iOS digital (using the provided Lightning to Micro USB connector, for example)
C - USB digital from a PC or Mac -or- Android digital (using the Micro USB connector)

My conjecture (not from OPPO staff, directly) is that because the "C" selection is used for both Android devices and USB from PC or Mac, the HA-2 distinguishes Android devices by the absence of 5V power seen at its Micro USB port, where a Mac or PC would provide power in addition to USB data.  Thus, a Walkman with WMC-NWH10 cable is incorrectly seen by the HA-2 as an Android device (in the absence of 5V power at its USB A port.)

I have imagineered (but have not tested) the following solution for using an OPPO HA-2 with a Sony Walkman + WMC-NWH10 cable:

5V power could be supplied to the HA-2's micro USB port along with data from the WMC-NWH10 cable by using....

An amazingly inexpensive yet well-reviewed, 5V rechargeable battery pack with perfect dimensions for stacking very nicely with the OPPO HA-2:

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B00KT26W0Q

This (or a different 5V battery pack) could be connected to the WMC-NWH10 cable, with one of these (or its equivalent):

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Power-Sharing-Cable-131046/dp/B0031ESJ2S

A USB Mini B female to USB Micro B male adapter (or cable) would be needed to connect to the HA-2:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJ3JEGM

That's a bit of Rube Goldberg contraption, but it should allow a Walkman to be used with any USB DAC that requires 5V power, including a Geek Out, a CEntrance DACport LX, an Audioquest Dragonfly, a JDS Labs ODAC, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

Sony is selling the A17 directly via eBay, here in the States:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/311136014454
(Most retailers here are only accepting pre-orders, expecting to ship on 24 November.)

Amazon currently has only one seller that can ship the WMC-NWH10 from the States (instead of from overseas): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FF086HE

Mike

12/28/2014 UPDATE:  
OPPO engineer's have successfully tested the current OPPO HA-2 prototype with the Sony NWZ-A17 and WMC-NWH10 cable. They are compatible!

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #879 of 7,541

Thanks for these comments about battery life and tailoring the sound!  It's very encouraging.

I love Sony!

Prior to getting the bug-ridden FiiO X5 a few months ago, with which I purposely avoid UI bugs by using only folder browsing for file navigation, I used a Sony PCM-M10 recorder/player as my DAP for over 3 years, almost daily, via the Line Out from its 96/24-capable, proprietary sigma-delta DAC to either a Meier Stepdance or an iBasso PB2.  

Sony really knows how to build electronics that are efficient in terms of battery consumption. Not only can the Sony PCM-M10 go more than 30 hours on a pair of rechargeable AA batteries, it has a microSD card reader - and that is a big deal for me, as it allows me to carry my entire library of 44/16 and 96/24 WAV files (it only supports WAV and MP3) on eight 64GB cards (they're not full yet) in this nifty carrier:

DiMeCard micro8 microSD Memory Card Holder

People who use iDevices - all of which lack card readers - really don't know what they're missing.  Whether 16GB, 32GB, or even 128GB - that's all you get!  They seem to be brainwashed into thinking that it's "OK" to constantly delete and upload new music into their iDevices for a day's outing, or deleting apps and photos to make room for more albums.  What a hassle!

And Apple has recently discontinued the iPod Classic (including the 160GB model) - allegedly for "lack of parts availability," not for lack of sales!  

tongue.gif

My Sony PCM-M10 is back in service despite my having the FiiO X5, now that I am Beta testing the OPPO HA-2 DAC/amp, but I'm bypassing its ESS9018M2 DAC, taking the M10's Line Out to the HA-2's very capable amp section, which lasts about 8 hours per charge cycle.  (Note: This is a prototype, so changes may occur in the release version - likely for the better, but it's best to make this known.)

In my experience, the Sony PCM-M10's UI has been bug-free across over three years of daily use.  Just think about that in comparison to the gear coming from iBasso, HiFiMan, Astell & Kern and FiiO, for example - which can still be troublesome, even if you wait for several firmware upgrades before buying, instead of jumping in as an early adopter (i.e. as a volunteer QA tester.)

But get this:  Sony has never released an update for its version 1.0.0 firmware for the PCM-M10, but these other vendors pour firmware updates down our throats continuously, until the updates just stop coming - with bugs still outstanding - on the release of a replacement product. Now, we have to cut them a lot of slack, seriously, for the fact that they are producing product in small numbers, and they give us products with powerful amps and great sound quality that the legion of Joe Consumers out there simply aren't capable of appreciating with their ear buds and cheap headphones.  

But the quality control of Sony's UIs is what I love about Sony more than anything else!  They get it right before they release their products to the customers. And from my perspective, OPPO is every bit as dedicated to quality assurance as Sony. Take this with a grain of salt, if you like, given that I've been a Beta tester for OPPO since December of last year, but I'm telling you, OPPO and Sony, independently, are birds of a feather in terms of QA, compared to any of the other portable Head-Fi manufacturers, with the exception of CEntrance and Meier Audio - in my admittedly very limited experience - but thus far, OPPO, CEntrance and Meier Audio have not released any DAPs that require a UI, so my hat's off to Sony for delivering a complex UI that's as friendly as that of a Sandisk Sansa Clip+.

Sony's biggest problem, in my opinion, is that they (smartly) go for high-volume sales - they are not a boutique manufacturer - but the problem with this has been that they have to cater to Joe Consumer, but Joe Consumer is ignorant of "high fidelity audio" for lack of a better term. What Joe Consumer wants more than anything else is a small, lightweight form factor, sleek appearance, and a very long battery life.  

The easiest way to keep the size and weight down is to use a small battery, and this in turn requires a W-E-A-K amplifier. But remember, Joe Consumer doesn't know any better. Sony's intended market for their DAPs has no knowledge of all the relatively inefficient, great-sounding headphones that need a lot more power than what the Sony PHA-1 and PHA-2 amps can deliver.  At a still moderate 320mW per channel of maximum output - not rms - into 32-Ohms, the Sony PHA-3 DAC/amp is their first viable option, in my opinion, for use with relatively inefficient headphones, but they have to be cabled for the PHA-3's balanced output or you won't even get the 320mW peak output.)  

We don't have specs yet for the OPPO HA-2 and it may very well turn out to have less power than the Sony PHA-3, especially given that it's smaller and lighter, but I'm hearing excellent bass control and great dynamics from the prototype I'm testing, when used with the relatively efficient OPPO PM-1 planar magnetic.  (Again, the released version may be perform differently.)  

In addition to accepting digital input from iOS and Android devices (most of which lack card readers), the OPPO HA-2 accepts USB input for Hi-Res PCM and DSD files from PCs, laptops, Macbooks, etc. - so I'm hoping that the Sony NWZ-A17 can be used with the HA-2 via the WMC-NWH10 cable.

I'm waiting for OPPO staff to tell me whether or not the HA-2 expects to receive 5VDC power (in addition to data) when using USB input.  If not, I'll order an A17 to find out if it's compatible with the HA-2.

Sony is selling the A17 directly via eBay, here in the States:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/311136014454
(Most retailers here are only accepting pre-orders, expecting to ship on 24 November.)

Amazon currently has only one seller that can ship the WMC-NWH10 from the States (instead of from overseas): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FF086HE

Thats some eye popping gear u got there mate,,,IMPRESSIVE.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #880 of 7,541

plus i love the walkman eq..........thats the one reason i love this thing.

Btw my brother got x1 yesterday and says its bulky and dosen't fit in jeans
eek.gif
He was pretty happy with e-474 walkman i gave him

I'm really excited about this.

The FiiO X5 EQ is horrible, in my opinion.  It kills transparency with even the slightest gain or attenuation applied.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #884 of 7,541
so now you know that Zilch0md wouldn't find the X1 to be bulky ^_^.

sad to read about the X5's EQ, they followed popular demands and provided more than a +/- treble and bass, so I hoped it would be a nice one. I know most people like the EQ from sony, but to me the range of frequency that 1 slider moves is too wide, so when it's nice to balance a signature, it's useless as a real EQ to get rid of a focused spike on some headphones like the usual 9-10khz boost on so many IEMs as a poor attempt to hide how much they roll off just after. and for that, I'm still looking for anything better than rockbox. I convert my tracks with the EQ for an IEM and I'm in the process of making myself one SD card per IEM that way. it's pretty lame but that's the only way for me to really EQ what I like.
in that respect android offers some great stuff like viper4android, but ... well it means dealing with android(and the latest update with the joke trying to lock external memory didn't make me laugh that much), and the usual big ass screen that kills battery life. the perfect solution may come, but it's not here yet.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #885 of 7,541

the low output of the Walkman DAP series (generally either 5mW+5mW or 10mW+10mW) is what i consider to be the achilles heel of an otherwise stellar player, though so long as i pair my Walkman with a fairly efficient headphone there is absolutely no need for an amp and the results are stunning .

currently my favorite cans are the Grado PS500e (far more efficient than my SR60i or SR80i though it seems the entire e series from Grado are far more efficient than the i and non letter series which preceded them) through a Sony NW-F807 64gb Walkman purchased from a Japanese vendor via Amazon in Sept 2013 - and the synergy between that pairing is the stuff of dreams! Even the pre- 'loudness wars' recordings i own (i.e. my vinyl rips of the first two albums by The Cars or Steve Hoffman master of Steely Dan's 'Aja') are plenty loud at 2/3rd's the maximum volume level using the PS500e (and really even using any of my other headphones un amped apart from my DT770 80Ω Beyers which  require me to add my iBasso D2+ Boa amp/dac to the set up ) but as  heatofamatch noted a couple of pages back in his post, the Sony Walkman series really do seem to have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' sparkle,warmth and synergy with open back headphones that simply doesn't come through in iem's for whatever reason.and even sounds great with any of my closed back cans,and while in the instance of my D2+ which is a great amp/dac combo it may add a lot more amplitude and open up the midrange on certain V shaped headphones, it still lacks the warmth and presence of Sony's native amplifier.so for the money I feel Sony deliver more than sufficient bang for the buck.can't wait to get an a17.will definitely own one before the years end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back