SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #346 of 7,541
A shootout between the NWZ-A17 and FiiO X5 high-resolution players seemed like a good idea, as they're nearly the same price. The X5 is more powerful and can play full-size headphones a lot louder, but it's bigger and bulkier; I prefer the NWZ-A17's user-interface and easier-to-read display. The X5's controls are awkward to use, and worse yet, it occasionally stops playing tunes (the reset gets music back on track). The X5 sounds warmer and fuller paired with my Audio Technica ATH-M50x and Sony MDR 7520 headphones. The NWZ-A17 was lighter in tone, with a smaller sound stage. The X5 opens up the sound; it's less inside my head, and the X5 also did a much better job with difficult-to-drive (300 ohm impedance) Sennheiser HD-580 headphones. The NWZ-A17 didn't cut it with the HD-580s.

Continuing with Logitech UE 900 in-ear headphones, the X5 and NWZ-A17 were more evenly matched, but the tonal differences were still there. The NWZ-A17's sound is more present; the X5 is sweeter and more laid-back. Which is better is very much a question of personal taste. I prefer the X5, you might love the NWZ-A17.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-tiny-high-resolution-audio-player-might-be-the-next-big-thing/#ftag=rss.audiophiliac.ftag

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #347 of 7,541

It's perfect in my opinion.  I don't own super duper high end headphones worth more than my laptop but comparing it to other walkmans I have and owned, the A15 is the best so far in terms of audio quality. I personally do not hear any hiss, maybe my headphones are not as sensitive as others here, but I do plan on purchasing the new XBA-A2s one they are released, either here in Europe or just import them from Japan, so perhaps the hiss will appear then.

The A is what I've wanted in a walkman, smaller size, expandable memory, and built in amp, only thing missing is built in noise cancellation, but you can't always have everything.  I haven't used the F885, partly because it costs too much for a stand alone mp3 player and I already had an android device, my xperia z1.  As for the ZX1, it is not on sale here in Poland, and costs even more than an arm and a leg probably if I imported it.

Most of my music is 320kbps bought online, only flac I own is whatever I rip from my CDs, which is less likely now since my FW Vaio died and my Vaio pro 13 has no cd drive.  Buying hi-res audio is also not possible since my genre music is not sold in hi-res, except WAV but upgrading at this point in time would cost me way too much money.

It is always to best test out the device in store before deciding whether it is what you would like in a player.  The A15/17 can receive songs via bluetooth, so one can always bring their smartphone and send a song over bluetooth to test it out.

i am looking to buy the same XBA A2 as well...i am thinking of getting the Japanese import if there is  english menu  because of the atrac and noise cancellation support

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #348 of 7,541
  i am looking to buy the same XBA A2 as well...i am thinking of getting the Japanese import if there is  english menu  because of the atrac and noise cancellation support

....pricejapan.com confirmed that the menu can be changed to English.

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #350 of 7,541
pricejapan charging $310 for the 32gb 
basshead.gif
 I might just get usa 64gb for same price

but Tenso should be around $275 or less

glad to hear the Japan version BLUE will have English
if someone else can confirm that would be great

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #352 of 7,541
I won't believe what pricejapan says regarding the menu language until someone buys the Japanese version and confirms it does change to English, then I'd buy it for sure, why the heck do they put sound cancelling only for Japan!!??

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #353 of 7,541
noise cancelling requires dedicated nc earphones too right?

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #355 of 7,541
  I won't believe what pricejapan says regarding the menu language until someone buys the Japanese version and confirms it does change to English, then I'd buy it for sure, why the heck do they put sound cancelling only for Japan!!??

i am certainly waiting for our Japanese friends on here to confirm that

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #356 of 7,541
as it was suggested it might be a way to get passed the european volume restriction and they think USA is in Europe?
or perhaps some unknown poll showed that noise canceling wasn't a great selling point abroad?
maybe the extra ring adds some noise or grounding quality problems and it would explain why the ZX1 didn't have it?

but most probably because Sony. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back