SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 16, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #7,321 of 7,541
Does anyone know if this has overcharge protection? Just realised I left mine plugged in yesterday, and it will have been on charge for about 100 hours before I can get back to it. Will that kill the battery?

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #7,323 of 7,541
On or Off only changes where to stop charging/discharging I imagine, not the action of stopping when a value is reached. almost all batteries nowadays have some little circuit to stop the charge at some point. shiiiit happens but it would be very unlikely.
just imagine all the devices with a 2 or 3hours charge that we let plugged all night, they don't all boom and burn the house down.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #7,324 of 7,541
If anyone here like me has been hunting for a "full size" DAP similar in sound to the A10 walkmen other than the $$$ walkmen, I think I can rec the Opus#1- of the DAP's i've tried since, the closest i've found... of course it's kinda clunky shaped, the battery is only ~8hrs, it's not as feature rich and the firmware/UI has some bugginess but that seems to be the case with every non-Sony DAP :veryevil:

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #7,325 of 7,541
If anyone here like me has been hunting for a "full size" DAP similar in sound to the A10 walkmen other than the $$$ walkmen, I think I can rec the Opus#1- of the DAP's i've tried since, the closest i've found... of course it's kinda clunky shaped, the battery is only ~8hrs, it's not as feature rich and the firmware/UI has some bugginess but that seems to be the case with every non-Sony DAP :veryevil:

fiio x5 3rd gen. ?

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #7,326 of 7,541
fiio x5 3rd gen. ?

Have you heard it? I thought it was not out yet, but it looks nice & sure the price will be very reasonable. The only device I have heard with 4490 DAC was the L5 Pro which was very nice though quite different from A17, but I guess there can be a lot of flexibility in how that sounds especially with different amp chips etc...

Personally I think I can settle down with Opus and A17 now, no complaints (especially if Opus can fix usb dac in future firmware). I have not had good luck w/ Fiio products in the past except for my walkman LOD, but I hope the x5iii lives up to its promise.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #7,327 of 7,541
Have you heard it? I thought it was not out yet, but it looks nice & sure the price will be very reasonable. The only device I have heard with 4490 DAC was the L5 Pro which was very nice though quite different from A17, but I guess there can be a lot of flexibility in how that sounds especially with different amp chips etc...

Personally I think I can settle down with Opus and A17 now, no complaints (especially if Opus can fix usb dac in future firmware). I have not had good luck w/ Fiio products in the past except for my walkman LOD, but I hope the x5iii lives up to its promise.

no i didn't.. just suggesting it to you to consider... it looks really good

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #7,328 of 7,541
If anyone here like me has been hunting for a "full size" DAP similar in sound to the A10 walkmen other than the $$$ walkmen, I think I can rec the Opus#1- of the DAP's i've tried since, the closest i've found... of course it's kinda clunky shaped, the battery is only ~8hrs, it's not as feature rich and the firmware/UI has some bugginess but that seems to be the case with every non-Sony DAP
very_evil_smiley.gif

What are the specs of the amp section? The only DAP I'll consider buying after A17 is one with comparable battery life and UI experience and can drive Beyer T1 (600 ohms) efficiently. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #7,329 of 7,541
What are the specs of the amp section? The only DAP I'll consider buying after A17 is one with comparable battery life and UI experience and can drive Beyer T1 (600 ohms) efficiently. 

2.1 Vrms SE, 2.3 balanced unloaded are the specs I've seen, no idea how that would do Beyer. Seems to do my 320 ohm VE Zen ok but possibly a little under- I haven't listend closely though.

I don't think this dap is for you then lol since its worse in all those things except power... just for me it is the first dap since A10 that really had the kind of sonic character I was looking for.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #7,330 of 7,541
The a15 is on my wishlist but i am still in doubt as there is a EU volume cap on the device. I would be mainly using it with RHA MA750i and Aurisonics Bravo Harmony. The a15 ticks almost all of my boxes except for the EU volume cap.

I am also considering the a35 but that one has no aptx. Does aptx really make a difference ? I want to go wireless in the future.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #7,331 of 7,541
 protocols on BT work only if both devices can do it(else they revert to the default most basic stuff), so it's pointless to worry about aptx if you don't have a clear idea about the headphone you'll use.
also if you don't have plans in the immediate future, the next gen of BT will have higher ... everything but energy consumption(now when will that be implemented in new DAPs? IDK).
I don't worry about the volume cap much, it's a weak DAP rendered even weaker, but most IEMs will never never need more. now BT strength on my A15 is a little weak(the "I can block the music with my butt", kind of weak). I ended up getting a cheap smartphone just for BT purposes.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #7,332 of 7,541
Yes the bluetooth output in terms of volume seems to be limited on the A15. I only have a cheap pair of Sony SBH60s but they sound a lot louder from my Sony phone than the Walkman, much louder than any wired set in fact. If I try to increase the volume above a certain level using the A15 I just get the sound of warning beeps in my ear!

The range of the Walkman BT is less than the Xperia also. Its still acceptable and another advantage of using bluetooth with the A15 (as well as the obvious lack of wires) is being able to control music ie volume/ next track etc remotely with the player in your pocket.

EDIT should add the volume controls are deactivated when transmitting to my bluetooth dac/receiver. The BT works similar to a fixed line out.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #7,333 of 7,541
I have a Trinity BT lanyard on the way which supports aptx. I will use it with my Aurisonics Eva or Harmony. So i have "some kind of plan". I will probably also add some on-ear headphones to my collection like B&W P5 wireless which also supports aptx.

I'll probably wait for another 2 months. I am in no hurry. Just weighing up some options. And the A15 is a good candidate. Too bad the Cowon Plenue D does not support BT otherwise it was a no brainer for me. Fiio X1ii would also be candidate but there seems to be a lot of problems in the current firmwares.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #7,335 of 7,541
I am an NWZ-A15 newbie. I don't like iTunes at all. I am looking for an alternative that I can use on my iMac to use to transfer music in Flac format and playlists to my Sony player. I would appreciate some help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back