SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Nov 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #7,293 of 7,541
Good day mates,
I've used the Sandisk Sansa Fuze (rockboxed) for some years and I absolutely love it. However my Fuze started to lose charge pretty quickly and I decided to buy the A15 as it gets lots of good review. I've recently got a A15 on Black Friday, and I was so excited to try out the a15 to find it (a little ) not what I expected. Somehow it seems a little muddy and lacks the mid. 
The head and earphones I use are Soundmagic E50, Sennheiser Hd280, JVC HAS220 and a pair of apple earpod ( I'm no audiophile at all).
On the Fuze, I usually use the default EQ preset or maybe no EQ at all for some jazz and laid-back songs. For more energetic genres like some Blues or Electro-Pop I use the jazz preset or boost the bass and treble by 6db. That's why I consider myself a guy who like the V-shape sound signature.
On the A15 I've found myself to use the 5-band custom eq like this ( +2,+1,+3,+1,+2) to get a sound that is decent to me, and the heavy eq preset for the energetic genres(I know that I should be lowering bands not boosting theme but lowering the band doesn't give me the effect that I love ???),  I can't quite get the sound I love from the Fuze. (I've heard good thing about the Clear Audio+ but I think I can only tolerate it with the Soundmagic E50 on). I played around with the VPT settings too but they can't seem to give me the feeling of the crossfeed and stereo widening 120% combo on rockbox, the VPT Studio is decent for me though).  I was hoping that I would like the sound from A15 better. Is there something wrong with the A15 or if I'm so used to the sound from the Fuze that it's so hard for me to adapt to another DAP?
Hmm I really loved to keep the A15 as the cover art display is so nice, the UI is good. I get quite long battery life and don't have to fear that the sd card faster than class 10 won't operate properly on my player like the Fuze . Is there a way to properly tune the EQ to get the sound I love ? 

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #7,294 of 7,541
  Good day mates,
I've used the Sandisk Sansa Fuze (rockboxed) for some years and I absolutely love it. However my Fuze started to lose charge pretty quickly and I decided to buy the A15 as it gets lots of good review. I've recently got a A15 on Black Friday, and I was so excited to try out the a15 to find it (a little ) not what I expected. Somehow it seems a little muddy and lacks the mid. 
The head and earphones I use are Soundmagic E50, Sennheiser Hd280, JVC HAS220 and a pair of apple earpod ( I'm no audiophile at all).
On the Fuze, I usually use the default EQ preset or maybe no EQ at all for some jazz and laid-back songs. For more energetic genres like some Blues or Electro-Pop I use the jazz preset or boost the bass and treble by 6db. That's why I consider myself a guy who like the V-shape sound signature.
On the A15 I've found myself to use the 5-band custom eq like this ( +2,+1,+3,+1,+2) to get a sound that is decent to me, and the heavy eq preset for the energetic genres(I know that I should be lowering bands not boosting theme but lowering the band doesn't give me the effect that I love ???),  I can't quite get the sound I love from the Fuze. (I've heard good thing about the Clear Audio+ but I think I can only tolerate it with the Soundmagic E50 on). I played around with the VPT settings too but they can't seem to give me the feeling of the crossfeed and stereo widening 120% combo on rockbox, the VPT Studio is decent for me though).  I was hoping that I would like the sound from A15 better. Is there something wrong with the A15 or if I'm so used to the sound from the Fuze that it's so hard for me to adapt to another DAP?
Hmm I really loved to keep the A15 as the cover art display is so nice, the UI is good. I get quite long battery life and don't have to fear that the sd card faster than class 10 won't operate properly on my player like the Fuze . Is there a way to proper tune to EQ to get the sound I love ? 

sorry for your bad experience ..may be you can return , sell it and get a cowon instead ..cowon are kings of sound effects and has more power than sony 

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #7,295 of 7,541
Good day mates,
Hmm I really loved to keep the A15 as the cover art display is so nice, the UI is good. I get quite long battery life and don't have to fear that the sd card faster than class 10 won't operate properly on my player like the Fuze . Is there a way to proper tune to EQ to get the sound I love ? 

I will echo Mmets comment. I love my unit and keep the Clear+ on all the time. I find DSEE just ruins the sound and don't run anything else. I LOVE the sound of this unit with Clear plus. On my ipod Classic (7th gen), I don't like any EQ settings and keep them all off.
I paid about $310.00, tax in, for mine and think it was a great value. If I could get another one for half that, I'd jump on it quick.
But if you don't like the sound signature it produces, time to move on. Hopefully you got it cheap enough that you can flip it without losing any money.

Shane D

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #7,296 of 7,541
  Good day mates,

sansa + rockbox has been a dream combo for years when it came to EQ and crossfeed for me. I'm afraid the sony won't offer the same customization, the EQ is too minimalist, and there are no pure crossfeed that can be set to how you feel is right. the surround studio setting is the closest thing to a crossfeed, but it's a fixed option.

cowon as suggested has a good deal of DSP settings, IDK if one would help achieve the exact stuff you had on the fuze though, because cowon does cowon. a lot of settings, a lot of chance to end up with something we like, but more by chance than by conscious control of clear settings IMO. the most likely stuff to achieve a particular sound would be anything with a well developed rockbox to replicate what you had, or some android device where you could try rockbox, but most likely would achieve better with one of the huge number of players available, each with more or less setting options. and if you root it, then you can add viper4android to whatever app you're already using to play the music, which would multiply the setting options.

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #7,297 of 7,541
  Good day mates,
Hmm I really loved to keep the A15 as the cover art display is so nice, the UI is good. I get quite long battery life and don't have to fear that the sd card faster than class 10 won't operate properly on my player like the Fuze . Is there a way to properly tune the EQ to get the sound I love ? 

I have A25 and it needed a burn in of about 120- 150 hours. Initially it was not having the sparkle and not fun at all. After burn in it is just awesome. Same may be true with A25 as well. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #7,298 of 7,541
Good day pals,
thank you for your kind replies. I did some more listening today,with and without any dsp, and it turns out on the A15 some songs sound phenomenal, but most songs sound not quite right. I can definitely say that I didn't get a defective unit or so, maybe I'm just not used to the sound from the Sony player world. In 2007 I got my first mp3 player which is a cheap sony E series but it was totally better than the phone that I use, which is why I have such high expectation for the A series.
When I use the Sansa Fuze I sometimes feel that I don't really need all those deep customizations, since I play safe with the presets anyway and just some intuitive settings. I've tried the 10-band graphical eq but got into paranoid  because it allows me to adjust also the q and the frequency of each band. That's why I thought maybe I just need the play around with well-thought presets offered by players from companies with reputation. 
I'm using an Iphone and viper4android is not for me sadly. The battery on my phone is really important as I'm an assistant, if my boss can't call me then I'm done. I won't listen to music on the phone unfortunately, to save a little charge. The Cowon DAPs are very nice, especially the Plenue D. However they are a bit out of my budget ( I got the A15 for $100 at a local store). I almost bought the xduoo x3 due to its capability of running rockbox, but I got turn down by the quality control and the way they support their product ( plus my friend's xduoo x2 just suddenly die 3 weeks ago). Someday I will give Chinese players a try, but not this time, have to wait for them to evolve more. Hmm I will let the A15 burn in for a few days to see if I like it better, hopefully it will start to shine. 
Do you guys feel the mid on the A15 is a little bit lacking ? 

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #7,299 of 7,541
Good day pals,
thank you for your kind replies. I did some more listening today,with and without any dsp, and it turns out on the A15 some songs sound phenomenal, but most songs sound not quite right. I can definitely say that I didn't get a defective unit or so, maybe I'm just not used to the sound from the Sony player world. In 2007 I got my first mp3 player which is a cheap sony E series but it was totally better than the phone that I use, which is why I have such high expectation for the A series.
When I use the Sansa Fuze I sometimes feel that I don't really need all those deep customizations, since I play safe with the presets anyway and just some intuitive settings. I've tried the 10-band graphical eq but got into paranoid  because it allow me to adjust also the q and the frequency of each band. That's why I thought maybe I just need the play around with well-thought presets offered by player from companies with reputation. 
I'm using an Iphone and viper4android is not for me sadly. The battery on my phone is really important as I'm an assistant, if my boss can't call me then I'm done. I won't listen to music on the phone unfortunately, to save a little charge. The Cowon DAPs are very nice, especially the Plenue D. However they are a bit out of my budget ( I got the A15 for $100 at a local store). I almost bought the xduoo x3 due to its capability of running rockbox, but I got turn down by the quality control and the way they support their product ( plus my friend's xduoo x2 just suddenly die 3 weeks ago). Someday I will give Chinese player a try, but not this time, have to wait for them to evolve more. Hmm I will let the A15 burn in for a few days to see if I like it better, hopefully it will start to shine. 
Do you guys feel the mid on the A15 is a little bit lacking ? 

hope things go better for you .
and yes mids of the player are laid back ... i had F806 before and had a better clarity in mids ... but A out perform it at other aspects of sound

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7,300 of 7,541
Hmm, I've discovered a peculiar problem recently. I bought a new digital album from 7digital (flac) and while all the files play without a hitch on my PC, only half the files show up within the player itself with the last song added having a glitch and terminates halfway through playback. I've tried numerous times to re-add the files using copy-paste to the sd card but every time the library rebuilds the files just disappear from the folder. What could be the problem?

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #7,301 of 7,541
In case anyone is looking for one. I'm listing an OEM PHA1a cable. WM-PORT cable (Walkman) to PHA1a or any AMP with Micro USB. See my classified listing in the cables for sale forum.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7,302 of 7,541
Is the A10 now obsolete? 
Think about it. My Huawei Mate 8 sounds great with T5p.2 right out of the HP jack (has even a little more power than the A10). With 4000 mAH battery and 256 GB mSD, neither battery life nor storage are problems any longer. I have radio and Bluetooth streaming. I love this little gem of a Walkman, but I guess I don't need it any longer 
confused_face.gif

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #7,303 of 7,541
Is the A10 now obsolete? 

Think about it. My Huawei Mate 8 sounds great with T5p.2 right out of the HP jack (has even a little more power than the A10). With 4000 mAH battery and 256 GB mSD, neither battery life nor storage are problems any longer. I have radio and Bluetooth streaming. I love this little gem of a Walkman, but I guess I don't need it any longer :confused_face:  

The phone/phablet, 6" I believe, is not quite as pocketable! Does not have physical controls and I'm pretty sure will not have the life span if the Walkman. It will be obsolete in 1 year whereas an eight year old walkman like the A818 is still relevant and good.

i though my Xperia was an adequate replacement I was wrong and I have now got another A15.

Music is important and does deserve a dedicated device really.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #7,304 of 7,541
  Hmm, I've discovered a peculiar problem recently. I bought a new digital album from 7digital (flac) and while all the files play without a hitch on my PC, only half the files show up within the player itself with the last song added having a glitch and terminates halfway through playback. I've tried numerous times to re-add the files using copy-paste to the sd card but every time the library rebuilds the files just disappear from the folder. What could be the problem?

​Still haven't solved the problem btw. :/ Has anyone had similar problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back