SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #137 of 7,541
Be aware that the X5 has a file limit for creating their database and I don't think they have fixed it yet...

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #138 of 7,541
I think each manufacturer includes a microSD card slot for very different reasons. By the amount of access and liberty they give you, you can draw a conclusion on how they really intend for you to use the card (i.e. if they wish to allow you to supplement the internal storage with this card at all, or NOT). So we'll have to wait and see if Sony keeps up its good form and allows us maximum expansion/integration.

It's not just hardware manufacturers, even Google can do incredible silly things like restricting external card access in KitKat. Of course they'll have prepared a somewhat reasonable excuse for what they do, but I do not believe for one minute that it's meant for safety, because any form of safety is always a persistent concern, it is not the kind of concern that's okay to ignore for several years then suddenly turn around and say "oh now is teh time, see we're good people so we wanna do this now."
tongue.gif

On an unrelated topic, Sony has increasingly complied with whatever google wants to do (e.g. onscreen home button row, android wear) because it wants to build/scale the Xperia business, and that worries me.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #139 of 7,541
  That's actually a very valid point (thank you for catching that),i've never used the 12tone/senseme feature on my F807 because i read a few reviews prior to purchasing the F807 about how long it takes to scan everything for the 12 tone analysis and so I have always just plugged my player in to the usb port and then used the Sony content transfer window or simply copied then pasted my music or video files into the music and/or video sub folders of the walkman folder on my computer, - and i know even doing that if i add (for example) a gigabyte of music it still takes around a minute or two to update the files after disconnecting the usb,and so even without using the senseme feature it would take quite awhile (over an hour i'd estimate) for the player to scan in all the data on a 64 or 128gb card.i hope the card will read/scan quicker but as you say we can't be certain until it's released. so yes for bana the X5 would be a better option in that regard.

Guys, I already have an Ipod classic with 240GB. On the Ipod forum, we are all currently looking to do 1TB with the release of a msata adapter in the next 2 weeks.
The idea of walking with a bunch of SD cards does not sound very appealing.
As the Ipod classic is no longer offered by apple, I was looking forward to a solution for the future.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #140 of 7,541
  You guys use SenseMe. Thats as atrocious as their SonicStage

hehe. I like it, but of course I'm a special case as I change the files on my DAPs maybe 3times in the DAP's lifetime. so I really go through the nightmarish scan of all the files maybe once a year. I like it because it's my redneck version of pandora ^_^ (pandora still not available in my country when it must be close to 10years old now and must have hundreds of millions users, and that's massive bull*****).

anyway for someone changing files on a regular basis, I would tell him to never ever scan the playlist as it's a massive waste of time.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #141 of 7,541
Anyone found anywhere to order this aside from sony?  With the f866 amazon had a fair old discount on it so hoping for something similar.  Of course it would be nice to walk into town and get it but these days buying anything but apple on it seems near impossible :frowning2:

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #143 of 7,541
  Hate to say it, but I have the Sony e474 walkman and its better than the X3, and that was with a co owner agreeing.

you can't say stuff like that, again for each headphone its source. the X3 was the first cheap DAP I owned that was really able to drive very nicely my hd650 on its own(it has tremendously more power than any sony dap). it was also the only cheap dap I had with zero audible hiss on any IEM. and lastly it had a super low impedance so my multidriver IEMs didn't have a shift in frequency response.
in the beginning it sounded weird, but I've been told that since whatever firmware version, it's a nice sounding DAP. can't confirm, I didn't keep it. oh! and it's working as a desktop DAC.

not trying to say the X3 is "better" than anything in a universal way, the battery life was too short for my needs, I wouldn't want to have dropped the X3 on the ground too often or sit on it too much, the UI was ok but clearly not as nice as sony. and I sure prefer having something super slim like a E475 or e585 in my pocket than a X3. just to say that we all have different needs and the X3 checks some very specific boxes that the E475 can't hope to touch, and vice versa.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #146 of 7,541
We were only using our respective in ears( not my H3s), and his were an upgrade to mine. I liked the X3 sound, but my sony was richer and slightly fuller. With 24/192 the X3 was better, but not with standard downloads. These were both our views, objectively made after much testing, and I took no pleasure from it. I don't doubt the X3 has greater power and is better when you go beyond 192 kbps, so the comparison was limited.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #147 of 7,541
  We were only using our respective in ears( not my H3s), and his were an upgrade to mine. I liked the X3 sound, but my sony was richer and slightly fuller. With 24/192 the X3 was better, but not with standard downloads. These were both our views, objectively made after much testing, and I took no pleasure from it. I don't doubt the X3 has greater power and is better when you go beyond 192 kbps, so the comparison was limited.

no problem mate. I'm not saying you're wrong in what you heard, I only disagreed with the definitive way you said it before. for example, I clearly favored the sound of the F886 to the sound of the X3 as long as music is concerned on any non picky IEM, and lots of people came to say that the F886 was "the best" or clearly better than XXXXX on the dedicated topic pushing more people to get one wihtout actually knowing anything(but that's headfi I guess).
but then a lot of those who bought the 886 where bummed when they realized they couldn't listen to their usual hard to drive headphone at loud enough volume, when X3 and DX50 could. I myself heard some little "tac" noises that made listening to the most sensitive IEMs unbearably annoying(but totally unnoticeable for most people on most cans). we can all come to some extreme situation, where sounding nicer isn't the priority anymore, and solving a problem is.
now on some not too sensitive/ not too low impedance IEMs, or not too hard to drive headphones, I totally agree with your findings with pretty much any sony dap against the X3 when listening to mp3. so again it's only the way to say it
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #148 of 7,541
Though I'm happy with the 192kbps Sony show,with both my H3's and xb 90 ex, I'd like to see the A17 against the F886 in comparison. It might make me stay at 192 with the advances in DSEE etc over my e474. I liked the 192/24 album on the X3, but hearing DSD on the AK 120 alone blew me away, so if the two Sony's only match the X3/5 on 192/24 Ill probably just stick with 192 kbps Mp3. I'm happy enough with my fave albums on the current set up, so I await the A17 reviews, happy knowing my H3's will be fine when and if I start dishing out a £10 note on FLAC etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back