SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 12, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #8,266 of 8,639
Anyone else notice that the sound improves half an hour or so after startup? Could very well be that's in all in my head but I notice this every time... Also possible my ZX507 isn't burned in fully. I always notice something is lacking in the sound if I haven't turned it on for a week and then gradually 30 mins in I notice greater transient impact. Very happy to concede it's all placebo but I think this every time. Just wondering if anyone notices this also. Wish I could keep this player on all the time but keeping it on charge all the time can't be good for the battery.

Digital circuitry performs best when it’s functioning at its optimal temperature. I believe your observation about sounding better after a half hour is an example of this phenomenon. ✌️

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #8,267 of 8,639
Likely it's the crossover network or cables that require burn in time. BA drivers are so small that they are probably set in with minimal burn-in times.

Just to share a story:
I went to a very high end audiophile shop to look for AES to AES digital interconnect for my mutec ddc to Yggdrassil dac. The first question the shop owner ask me about is what type of music I listen to. I was kinda surprised by his question, instead of asking me about my budget, he asked about my music preferences.

So it turn out that he wanted to know about my sound signature preferences. Warm or Vshaped or bright. So as to recommend a cable that suits my gear.

At that time I thought it was kinda strange that even digital transmission cables can have their own sound signature. Since my preference is neutral, I told him that and he said that I am the rarer one, most would prefer a warmer sound signature.

The shop owner then told me to burn in for 48hours before it will sound ok. He was willing to offer me a 7 day exchange if I didn't like the cable's sound signature.

I thought it was strange that even cables required burn in but it ended up being true. The AES cable exhibited a overly euphonic sound initially but after 48hours burn in, it did took on a neutral sound that I was looking for.

I return to the shop another day and asked the shop owner why do cables need burn in and he told me that the copper wires inside the cable needed burn in time to realign itself at the atomic level for optimal electron flow.

It’s more so due to the dielectric (insulation) on the cable requiring stabilization. In a sense, higher quality cables with their insulation are like high quality capacitors, they need burn-in time.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #8,268 of 8,639
They do sound quite different from one another, especially on the bass notes and soundstaging. But like all things, it’s going to be subjective, some can notice differences while others can’t tell. Sometimes it’s due to listening volume levels or dsp setting or just how resolving your gear are.

Using Direct Source will reduce the differences between the players but there are still differences in the sound.

Comparing the three software players really does make me conclude how much audio alteration Sony does in its Walkman music app, it seems like Sony audio engineer has done a lot of sound tuning within the app itself and made the software player to focus much more on the ability for the listener to hear finer soft sound details over having the sharpest transient sound delivery.
So my UAPP update of track testing. As some said, bit more clinical, less warm compared to Walkman App (testing balanced, Noble K10U, silver cable, low gain)
Summary

Its now like having two DAP's, a warmer one with Walkman Player and a more "clinical, brighter" one with UAPP. UAPP is best for Tidal too if you can stream (no offline of course). It is a bit slow browsing with UAPP compared to fine with Walkman and, and I'm sure Walkman App will give better battery life. Stick with Walkman App for DSD.
Amazed how different UAPP presents things vs. Walkman music app. Only on my first album yet, so need to get acclimated to UAPP.

I realize these posts are pretty old now (around page 462-465), but do people still feel this way? I am having a hard time discerning any differences in the sound between UAPP and the Walkman App. (via Direct Source). Sometimes UAPP can seem very slightly more clinical, but most times I cannot tell at all when just toggling between apps.

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #8,269 of 8,639
I realize these posts are pretty old now (around page 462-465), but do people still feel this way? I am having a hard time discerning any differences in the sound between UAPP and the Walkman App. (via Direct Source). Sometimes UAPP can seem very slightly more clinical, but most times I cannot tell at all when just toggling between apps.
Haven't had mine for some time now and moved onto a WM1AM2.

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #8,274 of 8,639
lol. No need to bicker. I was just curious how people felt. But as I've continued reading in the thread (around pg. 500 now), I have noticed that the addition of bit-perfect signal paths via UAPP and Neutron, among others, has probably slightly reduced the differences in sound between apps. No doubt Sony Walkman App sounds the best and has that signature Sony sound that we love and crave, but the third party apps are pretty damn close. I think I'll be mainly sticking with the Walkman App either way due to the much better battery life. Really doesn't even compare to using streaming apps. I can get batterly life nearly twice as long if I stick to the Walkman App.

Since Head-Fi will no longer allow me to attach photos to posts . . . ??? Need to contact the mods about that one I guess. . . but here is an imgur link with some pics of my new 507: https://imgur.com/a/HLYmQ8w

Freaking love this thing.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #8,275 of 8,639
lol. No need to bicker. I was just curious how people felt. But as I've continued reading in the thread (around pg. 500 now), I have noticed that the addition of bit-perfect signal paths via UAPP and Neutron, among others, has probably slightly reduced the differences in sound between apps. No doubt Sony Walkman App sounds the best and has that signature Sony sound that we love and crave, but the third party apps are pretty damn close. I think I'll be mainly sticking with the Walkman App either way due to the much better battery life. Really doesn't even compare to using streaming apps. I can get batterly life nearly twice as long if I stick to the Walkman App.

Since Head-Fi will no longer allow me to attach photos to posts . . . ??? Need to contact the mods about that one I guess. . . but here is an imgur link with some pics of my new 507: https://imgur.com/a/HLYmQ8w

Freaking love this thing.

Me too, very happy with this recent purchase. I agree on using the Walkman player for files in order to minimize power consumption. I bought the 507 so I could listen to my favorite internet stations, Radio Paradise (lossless), Bandcamp (lossless), and SomaFM.

The small size and build quality are big pluses as well. 👍

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #8,276 of 8,639
Have done some reading in the thread, but thought to ask for some real-life feedback — anyone using the ZX507 for streaming Apple Music, if yes — how do you like it, and do you think it’s worth having the ZX507 for this purpose?

To clarify— I understand that I will not be getting bit-perfect playback unfortunately by streaming Apple Music, but was considering the ZX507 as a standalone music device to use with my IEMs… however before I make the decision it would be nice to speculate if it’s worth going for the ZX507 or if I would be better off with my iPhone and a lightning to 3.5mm dongle, given that I don’t plan on using Sony’s Walkman app and use it strictly as a streaming device for Apple Music lossless (and UAPP doesn’t work for Apple Music).

Thanks in advance!
ZX507 is an excellent DAP depending on how you like your music colored. For music enjoyment, I personally prefer the way the Sony sounds for general listening and excels in this area. The 360 sound headphone profile I use is MDRZ1R - 1. Works best with my main IEM OG TheiAudio Monarch paired with Monarch MKII cable. This cable gives the IEM noticeable clarity, stage width and further separation between instruments.

For critical listening i have the DX240+stock amp and added Amp8 MKII. I did modify my ZX507 4.4 cables to Sony Kimber cable which sounds fantastic.

Tips will also change the sound by a lot. Best sounding tips I've heard to date with my IEMs is the Moondrop Spring Tips. Get a pair if you don't have any.

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #8,279 of 8,639
Took the player to canjam and it handled everything thrown at it very happy.

I did the same thing. My Lotoo is too bulky whereas the Sony easily slips into my jeans. Since I’m primarily into iems, no trouble either using the Sony to drive everything I tried. That’s one of the things I love about the ZX507, its svelte build. 👍

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #8,280 of 8,639
Are y'all as troubled by Sony's battery practices as I am? Well, for whatever it's worth, here's the service manual for the NW-ZX507, from which it's possible to glean at least a few details on the ZX507's battery. (Battery-related information starts on page 31.) Perhaps it'll inspire a bold soul to have a peek inside their own NW-ZX50*?

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back