SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #7,411 of 8,639
When I see 'coherent and fatigue-free sound signature that can work well for very long listening sessions ... no harshness or sibilance', I feel that DMP-A55 Walkman with IER-H500A achieves the same thing, albeit at a much lower cost.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #7,412 of 8,639
Anyone know if a battery case exists for the 507?
I’ve never found one. I wish there were.

I did look at building something if I could find a reasonable battery. To be honest, the vast majority of my listening I have my 507 attached to a battery.

if I can build a prototype, the next step will be to 3D print something.
It won’t be small though, which kinda removes one of the 507’s best attributes.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #7,413 of 8,639
I started off with just onboard audio from laptops, including my favourite but outdated VAIO DSD. I was limited to 24/48 on the newest laptop, and felt intense frustration. No DSD under $100 either. All that changed in 2020, when, what had only been a pricey COZOY TAKT PRO in 2018, exploded into an entire market of audio dongles. DSD128 became reachable with just up to $30. Thanks to Apple removing their jacks. It should become clear that desktop DACs have less meaningful purposes when far smaller devices are now cheaper and even perform better. But dongles weren’t enough. DSEE HX AI existed. And after mrwalkman’s comeback, shortly after my request, the mods finally got me into walkman, a very difficult device to get for a reasonable price in many places. Then I grabbed whatever ultra-budget Sony earphones I could get, including IER-H500A, EX150AP/255AP Black, EX150AP Mint Green, ZX110 and MH410c both with EQ. All were $14 or $20 or free.

It has been around a year since I first came to recognise the NW-ZX500 series. Being a person who didn’t really ‘get into audio’ until becoming exposed to Sony Japan Marketing, via the Japanese media and VAIO PCs with their Sound Reality DSD chip CXD9872/ALC889DSD, it seems necessary to consider and share how audio and Sony appear to me now.

No doubt there are people who never take any interest in audio, for whom the cheapest earbuds and random audio jacks in phones etc are sufficiently satisfying and capable of delivering good sound. They are likely the main adopters of the wireless boom. Generally, the most rare sight is a person with big headphones on, the next is the person with IEMs on, and finally, wireless headphones/IEMs/buds. Despite the IEM’s small size, the cable is still an unnecessary obstruction. And because most standard IEMs tend to be weak at recreating ‘air’ and distance, the IER-Z1R, M9, M7 were created. Of course, we can find exceptions in IEMs which don’t simply recreate details ‘up close’ and lack the ‘air’. The question is whether full size headphones have ‘air’ and distance. Whether every piece of gear needs to be pushed to its design limits and whether consumers truly need the variety. There probably never was a need for WM1Z, but that need was created after the product was unveiled.

The IER-Z1R is for consumers. It has one 12 mm dynamic driver just like MDR-EX255/650, except it has ‘magnesium alloy inside’ it, requiring it to be made in Japan. Then it adds a BA driver and another 100kHz 5 mm dynamic driver. Zirconium alloy housing, unique design, and hefty price tag. The talk session notes contained interesting explanations from one main designer. Like others, he claimed that IEMs lacked air and that IER-Z1R achieved it. He gave an answer that IER-Z1R is good paired with WM1x, even PCM-D100, acknowledging that the famed DSD recorder actually plays excellently, and DMP-Z1. He claimed that there is no need for ageing, unlike large speakers. And he knew that the way it is worn affects the sound in much greater ways. He also wrote after the session that 100 people will have 100 views on what constitutes good sound. But he, and the New York mastering studio involved in testing, believed that the sound heard in the New York mastering studio was achieved by IER-Z1R. And that consumers can trust Sony when it asserts that this is one of the ideals they have achieved. They don’t intend to make large profits from this, but wish to share the fruits of their creation. Sounds great of course.

IER-M9, M7 are penta and quad BA arrays respectively, designed for on stage pro use, seemingly making the 16 mm driver MDR-EX800ST (2010) obsolete. Strangely EX800ST is becoming favoured by those sick of BA and multi driver IEMs. Thus, variety is created.

The headphone amps pages explain S-Master processes in greater detail, and show the two 40 bit DSEE HX DSP chips by Analog Devices ADSP.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #7,414 of 8,639
I’ve never found one. I wish there were.

I did look at building something if I could find a reasonable battery. To be honest, the vast majority of my listening I have my 507 attached to a battery.

if I can build a prototype, the next step will be to 3D print something.
It won’t be small though, which kinda removes one of the 507’s best attributes.
Have my 507 coming today. I saw in another post someone mention the TG90 battery, small looking with a built-in angled USB C that is on the same side as the port. So, I picked up one of those as well. Planning on using some Velcro to attach it to the back of a case. Will see how it looks and feels, but I think that may work out so long as it doesn't add noise.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #7,415 of 8,639
The thing with audio is everyone has their own listening preferences and expectations. Some don't care alot about sound quality while others seek the ultimate sound. Some can do with apple airpod pros but some of us prefer wired multi driver kilobuck iems.

Each transducer design and it's surrounding structure has an impact on how it would sound. The full magnesium housing on the IER-M9 probably contributed alot to it's higher price but I believe the housing does have its own effect on the passive isolation and internal sound reflections within the iem. Sony 4.4 balanced is also something has a big effect on how the IER-M9 sounds on the ZX507. I have listened to cheaper Sony dynamic driver iems but I always find that there are certain aspects of the multi-driver Balanced Armature designs that are not as good on dynamic driver namely fine sound details in complex music, also multi-driver balanced armature is more able to present loud music without sounding shouty. There still isn't a perfect iem out there but I do think that Sony has crafted the IER-M9 with the specific goal of sound monitoring for live performance and it somehow still does work very well for audiophile use especially in terms of physical and auditory listening comfort.

Also It seems like Sony focus for audio right now is in their wireless bluetooth speakers, headphones and iems.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #7,416 of 8,639
The difference is Sony rarely uses off the shelf parts but rather develops their own parts for their audio products. The new IEMs for example all uses in-house Sony developed drivers.

This means new audio products from Sony takes more time to come to market, but on the other hand it really separates Sony devices from the other makers which just uses OEM drivers but just tune them differently.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #7,417 of 8,639
TG90 battery,
That
Have my 507 coming today. I saw in another post someone mention the TG90 battery, small looking with a built-in angled USB C that is on the same side as the port. So, I picked up one of those as well. Planning on using some Velcro to attach it to the back of a case. Will see how it looks and feels, but I think that may work out so long as it doesn't add noise.
that was my general approach for a prototype too.

after that I was going to 3D print a case around it.

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #7,418 of 8,639
They don’t intend to make large profits from this, but wish to share the fruits of their creation.
Makes me wonder if they make any profits at all, out of their whole Walkman/audiophile lineups, or do they manufacture them out of their love for music. I mean, Sony's got a lot of money, they can afford to burn it a bit.

And man, do I miss my 507... realized how wonderful it was only when I sold it. :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #7,419 of 8,639
Makes me wonder if they make any profits at all, out of their whole Walkman/audiophile lineups, or do they manufacture them out of their love for music. I mean, Sony's got a lot of money, they can afford to burn it a bit.

And man, do I miss my 507... realized how wonderful it was only when I sold it. :frowning2:

The good news is that Sony's audio visual department is profitable - not loads of money, but profitable.
The bad news is despite having a lot of money as a whole, priority for allocating cash to different departments is not equal (that's how Sony's Mobile department keeps getting money - because mobile phone is considered strategically important) and getting projects cleared for development is quite hard for their audiophile products because it's not a "cool" or a segment that's considered strategically important because it's a niche market.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #7,420 of 8,639
I like that Sony is a brand for all consumers, with good quality products at different price points. Happy WH1000XM4 customers who don’t know much about HiFi may choose to look a bit further into the more expensive stuff like the dedicated Walkman players and the MDR-Z7m2 if they want to reach for a more premium experience. There’s a lot of clout that comes with having such a well known brand. And it definitely doesn’t hurt that their high end audio products are decent at the price points they are positioned at.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #7,421 of 8,639
Jump to 8mins 35sec, it explains about Sony's 360 Spatial Sound technology. There's a virtual upmixer. Though I recommend watching the whole video if you got the time to spare, it’s interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #7,422 of 8,639
To think of it, the ZX507 and A105 has quite a lot of audio technology that comes from the Sony group ecosystem.

DSEE Ultimate driven by Big Data Artificial Intelligence
360RA Spatial Sound Virtualisation
Custom 360RA Ear-mapping

With the above technologies, combined with the 4.4mm S-Master HX balanced amplification and great clocking circuitry(low jitter) on the ZX507, I find that the IER-M9 is capable of presenting amazing 360 spatial soundstage with extremely precise imaging. DSEE Ultimate seems to augment the surround effect more with harder hitting dynamics and additional soundstage height. And also the bit rate and sampling of your music file no longer plays a critical part to how much enjoyment you get out of your music with DSEE Ultimate as the AI is now in control of the music dynamics.

Its like a perfect synergy between all these different components. I would again recommend for those who are able to afford to really consider getting into ZX507 x IER-M9 combination.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #7,423 of 8,639
360RA Spatial Sound Virtualisation
It’s that a feature somewhere on the zx507 that can be turned on? Just got one in and have been playing with all the knobs and switches.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #7,424 of 8,639
It’s that a feature somewhere on the zx507 that can be turned on? Just got one in and have been playing with all the knobs and switches.
You need to own selected Sony IEM/Headphone that supports 360RA to fully benefit from it. It's basically sending your ear photos to Sony for sound customization. You need to use the headphone app to add/select the correct model of headphone/iem. Bluetooth and wired models are supported.

Google Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.sony.hes.soundpersonalizer

Apple IOS
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/360-spatial-sound-personalizer/id1528698705

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #7,425 of 8,639
The good news is that Sony's audio visual department is profitable - not loads of money, but profitable.
The bad news is despite having a lot of money as a whole, priority for allocating cash to different departments is not equal (that's how Sony's Mobile department keeps getting money - because mobile phone is considered strategically important) and getting projects cleared for development is quite hard for their audiophile products because it's not a "cool" or a segment that's considered strategically important because it's a niche market.
Wouldn't have to be niche, if they at least tried. There's a significant market in my home country for entry-level DAPs. Something that NW-A55 excels at. But there's no marketing whatsoever. People don't even know Walkmans are still being made. Same applies to their phones - no marketing whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back