SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #5,926 of 8,639
just a random question, i ordered my sony zx507 few days ago. and the over priced sony official case for it from japan (oh well :frowning2: its required)

but whats the main difference betwesn the zx500, 505 and 507? is it a region thing ??
zx500 - general name.
zx507 64gb version.
zx505 16gb version for China market (and some asian markets) I heard it has no google services, nevertheless international FW with google services can be installed.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #5,927 of 8,639
I just purchased the 507 a couple weeks ago and am also really astonished by how short the battery life is (not even half of what is advertised imo). I like it otherwise.
fw 3.0 is very power hungry. especially high res ON and DSEE ultima (HX) ON. in recent listening sessions I got ~10% per 1h.
FW 2.0 was more power efficient.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #5,928 of 8,639
I don't see the point of using DSEE unless you have music in MP3 format that you can't find on the hi res streaming platforms.

I would think it's hard to stay married to MP3 nowadays. A few £$€ a month and you can listen to everything in hi res.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #5,929 of 8,639
my desktop PC will not see my 507. the laptop will see it.

when I plug it in, I do get the screen asking if I want to charge only or transfer files, when I select transfer files I hear the windows sound of USB disconnecting.

It worked with earlier firmware.

walkman2.jpg

walkman.jpg

Edit:

I got the USB MTP driver installed. I had to select browse PC for drivers, then select from the list, then USB MTP driver.

in c:\windows\inf i right-clicked and installed mpdmtp.inf also

buggy win 10, Thanks Bill!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #5,930 of 8,639
is there a way to remove the google search bar from the home screen of the 507 ? its super annoying

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #5,931 of 8,639

when I plug it in, I do get the screen asking if I want to charge only or transfer files, when I select transfer files I hear the windows sound of USB disconnecting.

walkman2.jpg

walkman.jpg

Edit:

I got the USB MTP driver installed. I had to select browse PC for drivers, then select from the list, then USB MTP driver.

i did not manually install any drivers. it worked fine from the start.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #5,932 of 8,639
is there a way to remove the google search bar from the home screen of the 507 ? its super annoying

Use a different launcher. I am personally using "Shade Launcher" from Google Play Store... It lets you remove the Search Bar, etc but is lightweight...

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #5,933 of 8,639
I have shade installed How do you tweak it?

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #5,934 of 8,639
Use a different launcher. I am personally using "Shade Launcher" from Google Play Store... It lets you remove the Search Bar, etc but is lightweight...
Actually a buddy of mine whos a wiz with android OS stuff.
Told me if you go into apps & notifications > google > disable. then re-start the device. it should be gone and the "default" system search will be displayed. and tbh its way nicer and less distracting :)

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #5,935 of 8,639
I have shade installed How do you tweak it?

Press and hold on the home screen background to get to options. If you want a heavier launcher with tons of tweaks, try Nova. I like Shade - it's lightweight but has enough options for me... :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #5,936 of 8,639

walkman2.jpg

walkman.jpg

Edit:

It’s not really Microsoft’s fault if 3rd party manufacturers can’t write their drivers properly and don’t update them in a timely manner.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #5,938 of 8,639
Getting ready to pull trigger on 507. I see references to Japanese, International, European versions. I’m purchasing in the US... is there a US version and is it volume limited like Europe?
Only Europe is volume limited

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #5,939 of 8,639
It’s not really Microsoft’s fault if 3rd party manufacturers can’t write their drivers properly and don’t update them in a timely manner.
it's microsoft's fault. as it is their deliberate choice.
I hate windows for this reason.
a year ago I bought a new laptop.
and new version of realtek audio driver pissed me off.
no eq, and loudness normalization, sound disappears after waking up from sleep mode.
and u can't deal with all this issues by simply updating or reinstalling the driver.
dealing with eq problem leaves sound absence after sleep mode.
and after I spend a lot of time a few times (as this problem re-emraged a few time, after microsoft mandatory "updated" audio drives)
one problem still left. user has no option to select an input device.
in my situation it's microphone input.
when sony 1Am2 headphones (with micro in the 3.5mm chord) are connected, windows mandatory turns off internal dual microphone.
however later chord part of microphone in headphones died, and I can't symontenously use both headphones and microphone as current realtek version does leaves option to switch microphone input to internal one, when headphones with 4pin (microphone) 3.5 jack are connected to laptop.
in series of drive updates and reinstalls, the option of selecting microphone input emerged, however, no eq, loudness normalization, and sound absence after waking up from sleep mode.
eventually after particular sequence of reinstalling some version of driver and updating it in particular driver udpater software I have both eq and no issue with sound after sleep mode. however still I can't select input microphone.
to deal with microphone issue, I bough:
— 5m 3.5 (3pin)male to 3.5 (3pin)male cable.
— 3.5 to 3.5 female adapter.
thus I connect 3 pin (with out pin for microphone) to laptop, and via 3.5to3.5 female I connect my headphones with3.5 4pin (microphone) plug.
that's how I can use both headphones and internal microphone.
prior to buying a chord and adapter, I used wifi and old iphone as a microphone. additional soft created option to select microphone input between wifi(iphone) and realtek (internal or 4pin headphones)

a lot of headache thanks to microsoft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back