SONY NW-ZX500
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,576 of 8,639
I owned the ZX300 for quite a while. I loved its warm to neutral sound signature, but it definitely had limitations. I can say with confidence that the ZX507 is operating in a different tier sound wise. It’s just flat out better in every area of sound production- stage depth/width/layering, bass performance, black background (although the ZX300 was also very good with noise), finesse/weight in the mids, and treble presentation. It’s a clear step forward that rivals too tier DAPs in my opinion, such as the DX200 and as I’ve mentioned the WM1A. The implementation of the amp section may also be better because I don’t ever remember the HD660s sounding as good on the 300.

Unequivocally, yes. I was using the balanced output as can be seen, volume at 72, on high gain. Haven’t used an external amp yet.
wow! nice to hear this! and max volume is 120, right?
can anyone measure voltage and power output of balanced (high gain) output of sony zx507?
I am confused to learn that it's capable of powering 150ohm 104 db/V headphones.
maybe someone will explain how is it possible? thanks.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,577 of 8,639
I owned the ZX300 for quite a while. I loved its warm to neutral sound signature, but it definitely had limitations. I can say with confidence that the ZX507 is operating in a different tier sound wise. It’s just flat out better in every area of sound production- stage depth/width/layering, bass performance, black background (although the ZX300 was also very good with noise), finesse/weight in the mids, and treble presentation. It’s a clear step forward that rivals top tier DAPs in my opinion, such as the DX200 and as I’ve mentioned the WM1A. The implementation of the amp section may also be better because I don’t ever remember the HD660s sounding as good on the 300.

Unequivocally, yes. I was using the balanced output as can be seen, volume at 72, on high gain. Haven’t used an external amp yet. I should also add that I use a Plusssound Appolonian cable with my 660s which makes a big difference over the stock cable, so YMMV. It’s actually an MMCX term’d cable that I use with an adapter on the 660s. Worked out really well

for the same price, would you still go with ZX500 or DX220?

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,578 of 8,639
for the same price, would you still go with ZX500 or DX220?

It’s hard to say because I have the ZX507 and I haven’t heard the DX220. I’m somewhat biased. I gave a long look at the DX220, but ultimately decided not to get it due to concerns from quite a few peeps regarding battery life. They were saying they were only getting 4-5 hrs a day. Others reported the battery life was as advertised. Decided not to risk it. I’ll say this, I’m quite happy with the 507. I currently am feeling very little temptation to look at other DAPs, which says something, as I’m usually an extreme nitpicker

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,579 of 8,639
It’s hard to say because I have the ZX507 and I haven’t heard the DX220. I’m somewhat biased. I gave a long look at the DX220, but ultimately decided not to get it due to concerns from quite a few peeps regarding battery life. They were saying they were only getting 4-5 hrs a day. Others reported the battery life was as advertised. Decided not to risk it. I’ll say this, I’m quite happy with the 507. I currently am feeling very little temptation to look at other DAPs, which says something, as I’m usually an extreme nitpicker

hahaha

tbh sometimes i even wonder if i can hear the diff between sources

literally negligible diff from mojo with 3.5mm jack on macbook

substantial diff between dx160 and 220

unfortunately i didn't manage to try zx500 w my new iem yet =/

in fact sometimes i can't even tell the diff when it's playing from my iphone dongle lol

but gotta admit i love the form factor of ZX series

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #1,581 of 8,639
D3202632-752B-447B-A000-809EC36928D1.jpeg
ZX507 with its pal the Oriolus Mk2 and a fabulous Black Dragon cable.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,586 of 8,639
I find that ZX507 really excels at reproducing realistic sounding live recorded concert music. You really feel as if you are in the concert because ZX507 DSEE HX is able to reproduce soundstage height, there's a sense of surround and holographic airiness & layer that you don't really get with other dap/dacs/sources. Especially when it comes to Cymbal crashes, it has the ultra fast initial impact that feels just right. Not overly-sharp(in comparison to the ultra sharp ESS Sabre DAC) just the right amount of sharpness. Tempo seems to follow the music, when it needs to be fast, the walkman can sound very fast, and when the music is slow, the tempo can feel slow.

This is using MDR-1AM2 and IER-M9.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,587 of 8,639
I find that ZX507 really excels at reproducing realistic sounding live recorded concert music. You really feel as if you are in the concert because ZX507 DSEE HX is able to reproduce soundstage height, there's a sense of surround and holographic airiness & layer that you don't really get with other dap/dacs/sources. Especially when it comes to Cymbal crashes, it has the ultra fast initial impact that feels just right. Not overly-sharp(in comparison to the ultra sharp ESS Sabre DAC) just the right amount of sharpness. Tempo seems to follow the music, when it needs to be fast, the walkman can sound very fast, and when the music is slow, the tempo is also feels slow.

From a Sony fan.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #1,588 of 8,639
I find that ZX507 really excels at reproducing realistic sounding live recorded concert music. You really feel as if you are in the concert because ZX507 DSEE HX is able to reproduce soundstage height, there's a sense of surround and holographic airiness & layer that you don't really get with other dap/dacs/sources.

When you mean compared to other daps, what other daps have you used?

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,589 of 8,639
@Cat Music,

I live in a tiny(724.2 square KM/279.6 square Miles) country called Singapore, which I am able to access(audition) to a lot audiophile gears. Stores like Stereo Singapore, E1 Personal Audio, Connect IT, Jaben, AV One have too many gears to speak of.
https://www.betterthanbrunch.net/head-fi-audio-shopping

I think only Japan & Hong Kong are better than Singapore when it comes to auditioning of headphones, iems and daps. These two videos should give you some kind of what Singapore audiophile scene is like:

I have auditioned portable stuff from A&K, Cayin, Fiio, Ibasso, Chord and Hifiman. There's a few other chifi brands that I don't recall off the bat.

At home I have Schiit Yggdrasil DAC as my reference.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,590 of 8,639
@Cat Music,

I live in a tiny(724.2 square KM/279.6 square Miles) country called Singapore, which I am able to access(audition) to a lot audiophile gears. Stores like Stereo Singapore, E1 Personal Audio, Connect IT, Jaben, AV One have too many gears to speak of.
https://www.betterthanbrunch.net/head-fi-audio-shopping

I think only Japan & Hong Kong are better than Singapore when it comes to auditioning of headphones, iems and daps. These two videos should give you some kind of what Singapore audiophile scene is like:

I have auditioned portable stuff from A&K, Cayin, Fiio, Ibasso, Chord and Hifiman. There's a few other chifi brands that I don't recall off the bat.

At home I have Schiit Yggdrasil DAC as my reference.

Im in Hong Kong , first CIEM bought in 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back