SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 11, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #7,486 of 8,639
Honestly, my eyes do only focus when someone here mentions how good the NWZX507 sounds with IERM9. Yeah they do. But I must mention, they do sound hell better with appropriate KIMBER Sony cable. Way better. As much as the original ergonomic of the original IERM9s is compared to the appropriate cable, I surrendered. Advice, go for it, its like, obvious.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #7,487 of 8,639
Sorry maybe my post was not readable well. IERM9s sound much better with KIMBER cable, way much better than the original. I meant I even gave up the great ergonomic of the original cable as KIMBER ergonomics are not that great. But the setup with KIMBER sounds like galaxy way better. Sorry for double post.

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #7,488 of 8,639
It seems there is some funny business with ZX507 LDAC - it keeps being stuck on adaptive no matter where I put it to max (Sony's app, bluetooth settings etc), which might explain why I hear bit of harshness and smaller soundstage compared to the M11 Plus.. However I read online that apparently there is LDAC performance option in Sony's Music Center app (in addition to the Sony headphones app - bit confusing) and enabling that option to high performance apparently forces the high bitrate at all times (Sony using Android 9 gray area undocumented APIs to force it apparently) .. anyway, i'm checking now it seems like the sound has lost that slight harshness and is a bit wider, with gained focus and micro details

Now this might be an Android 9 bug - I've been reading that many devices suffer from locked LDAC bitrate, so maybe if you're reading this Sony, time to upgrade to Android 10/11 and give us an easier way to push max LDAC quality on your audiophile DAP

it would be good if someone can try and compare also:

1. Turn off bluetooth
2. Go to settings > connection prefs > bluetooth > wireless playback quality > LDAC high perf
3. Go to Sony Headphone app: enable LDAC high perf
4. Go to Sony Music Center app: enable LDAC high perf (maybe you need to connect bluetooth here to see the option)
5. Disconnect/Reconnect bluetooth.
Here’s what I have discovered:

Sony Music Centre Bluetooth settings don’t seem to affect the internal ZX507 Bluetooth settings at all.

Headphone app will always force SBC connection mode if you select connection priority, this overwrites any preferred codec settings that you selected on ZX507 Bluetooth system settings.

if you set sound quality priority in the headphone app, it will then follow the codec setting you selected on ZX507 Bluetooth system settings.

It seems that LDAC can only operate at best effort on the ZX507. Guess it’s time to submit bug report to Sony.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #7,489 of 8,639
I have been going back and forth between my iPhone SE (2020 - using lightning to 3.5m adapter) and my ZX507 (direct out) using Spotify and my ZX507 sounds muddy and less dynamic and not as clear in comparison to my iPhone. This is not the case when I use the native Walkman App which produces the best sound quality. Has this got something to do with ZX507 upsampling Spotify and can I do anything to fix this? The files downloaded to Spotify on my ZX507 are 320kbps same as they are on my iPhone but it clearly doesn't sound as good. 320 mp3 sounds amazing out of the native Walkman app though...

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #7,490 of 8,639
I have been going back and forth between my iPhone SE (2020 - using lightning to 3.5m adapter) and my ZX507 (direct out) using Spotify and my ZX507 sounds muddy and less dynamic and not as clear in comparison to my iPhone. This is not the case when I use the native Walkman App which produces the best sound quality. Has this got something to do with ZX507 upsampling Spotify and can I do anything to fix this? The files downloaded to Spotify on my ZX507 are 320kbps same as they are on my iPhone but it clearly doesn't sound as good. 320 mp3 sounds amazing out of the native Walkman app though...

To be honest I think the ZX507 falls short nowadays - i still like it but as you say, it can sound murky and congested. After hearing a Fiio M11 Plus the ZX sounds rather low-fi to me now and I'm struggling going back to it.

I suggest you try turn off the upsampling hi res, and turn on DSEE HX instead (as it only works on 44-48khz signal)

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #7,492 of 8,639
How does one submit a bug to Sony? I can't find it anywhere..
You don't. You pray to gods, hoping that Sony will realize the bug exists on their own, and fix it whenever they want to.
In my country, you can't even get any support for ZX-series of Walkmans. They simply refuse to talk to you about it. Sony is being very weird lately.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #7,493 of 8,639
Are you sure you don’t have a leftover eq on for Spotify on the iPhone? (I was a/b listening yesterday and had to switch mine off to make for a fair comparison)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #7,494 of 8,639
You don't. You pray to gods, hoping that Sony will realize the bug exists on their own, and fix it whenever they want to.
In my country, you can't even get any support for ZX-series of Walkmans. They simply refuse to talk to you about it. Sony is being very weird lately.

I’m worried Sony is trying too hard to cut costs and streamline lately and in danger of becoming more Applesque. They need to pour money into r&d to stay competitive in audio but they’re just focusing on their photo division and throwing a little into phones and seriously overcharging, so they stay into obscurity. The Sony I loved - walkmans/md/dat/psp/vita might not be the same Sony anymore. They’ve become risk averse and cautious and losing their renegade streak

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #7,495 of 8,639
I’m worried Sony is trying too hard to cut costs and streamline lately and in danger of becoming more Applesque. They need to pour money into r&d to stay competitive in audio but they’re just focusing on their photo division and throwing a little into phones and seriously overcharging, so they stay into obscurity. The Sony I loved - walkmans/md/dat/psp/vita might not be the same Sony anymore. They’ve become risk averse and cautious and losing their renegade streak
I actually think they stopped being the classic Sony by the time Vita got released. I love my Vita, but they screwed it up very badly, with a lot of poor decisions. No UMD support? What was I supposed to do with my discs? What's the point of backwards compatibility, then? Proprietary memory cards costing as much as the console itself? Who thought that's a good idea? Touch panels? What for?!

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #7,496 of 8,639
I actually think they stopped being the classic Sony by the time Vita got released. I love my Vita, but they screwed it up very badly, with a lot of poor decisions. No UMD support? What was I supposed to do with my discs? What's the point of backwards compatibility, then? Proprietary memory cards costing as much as the console itself? Who thought that's a good idea? Touch panels? What for?!

Sony have a habit of getting very greedy, then failing. Vita was an engineering marvel but they got money hungry (gold for vita cards), didn't want to adapt and just dropped support - utter disaster and disrespect for their engineers who created a masterpiece.. Sony are so weird I just don't get them - if they just get their long term market vision and engineering synchronised they can easily dominate.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #7,497 of 8,639

The current Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida comes from an economic background, he's background in the company is very boring too and I feel he is only focused on numbers. He made a lot of investments which I think is very questionable lately (like heavily investing into Chinese firms and other companies very late in time when the stock prices have already ballooned) and I think it's going to bite Sony in the ass very soon because he is only looking at economics but fails to grasp the political climate.

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #7,498 of 8,639
The current Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida comes from an economic background, he's background in the company is very boring too and I feel he is only focused on numbers. He made a lot of investments which I think is very questionable lately (like heavily investing into Chinese firms and other companies very late in time when the stock prices have already ballooned) and I think it's going to bite Sony in the ass very soon because he is only looking at economics but fails to grasp the political climate.

Sony can easily do well in the mobile space but they repeat the same mistakes year after year, it's as if they're too arrogant to admit their errors and adapt. Their new phones are nice, but it's taking many months since their announcement for them to be released, by which time their fans will have moved on, then they slap on a gargantuan price tag - more expensive than most if not all flagships.. and then they wonder why their mobile division doesn't bring in any money.. i really don't get them, year after year they do this! I want their mobile div to do well as this bring innovation to their DAPs.

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #7,499 of 8,639
I'm sure CEOs with a strong engineering background, talented economics mindset, and a carefree playful extravagance (while cutting waste) are lining up ready to go when Yoshida is done. In the meantime I don't think any of us can really grapple with the sheer size that Sony Group is to determine what is a mistake or not. I know Sony CSL, Sony Pro Audio, Sony Music Studios Tokyo/Hong Kong, Sony PCL, Sony Design, Sony Classical well enough (publicly available info that is). But scarcely little about the big earner Gaming, Music and Film divisions. Meanwhile we see Sony expand through a different named company (non-Sony) in the field of flash memory. Perhaps they've decided also to move away from hardware for the time being. Regarding investing, it doesn't seem fitting for a huge guy like Sony to invest in fledglings whose stocks are cheap. They have to do it late and they'll all mutually benefit anyway.

I can't imagine what it's like to be managing a multinational. Just being an employer of 2-3 people is already very challenging to do well. Too many employees aren't skilled. The ability to do research even in your own non-paid time (within the work life balance), to be professional at all times, to know the boss's intentions/thoughts without them saying a word (as opposed to laying it out so bare it couldn't get barer), to do every act using your brain rather than passively, lacking awareness and purpose (and thus being inefficient - redoing mistakes), to allow the boss to not have to complain even once, to not require coffee (meaning fast, active and alert at all times), to be an indispensable asset etc. Whether it's desk work or physical labour. Being the manager of not so experienced and competent employees is terrible. Makes managing a multinational impossible. The amount of pay has no bearing on quality of work if the employee doesn't know what to do and has to be continuously drilled by the boss. I mean, it's long been the case that whatever has been studied in uni or elsewhere doesn't count for that much. Jobs are changing and the key thing is to sharpen the transferrable abilities. If the jobs market is filled with people whose transferrable abilities just aren't top-knotch, companies are going to be mediocre. Governments too. Having this in mind, Sony CSL is a good example of a David and Sony Group is a Goliath. Any one of the Sony CSL researchers would be worth 10 passive employees. They're not just remaining at a PhD level but go far beyond it. They can see everything from high above and it is all simple; nothing is impossible. Technologies they develop will not allow even one complaint. It's just that so far, they haven't done that many projects. It is a similar situation for Microsoft Research and everywhere else.

My involvement with Sony CSL goes fairly deep. I wrote to the CEOs and in response they gave Sony CSL even greater public exposure. I asked Sony CSL to create a third branch office in Adelaide, saying that this third decade must have a goal of sustainability, of a greater reflection on the harms rather than benefits brought by technology. Clearly there's just no way a thirty person group can outweigh the large scale damage that hardware in the dump, manufacturing processes, sedentary habits and all the other negative aspects have brought. Actually I do not see the point of consumer electronics for entertainment. Other consumer electronics that is indispensable, yes, but entertainment electronics had better be absolutely worth more than the harm it brings. CSL has made holistic open science possible perhaps, and furthered the way tech can augment us. Instead of Adelaide, they opened a nature-inspired office in Kyoto. And when I read their goal (not the decade long official CSL goal but just the Kyoto branch goal) I realised that my thoughts/suggestions had been adopted.

Anyway, although CEOs are paid highly to reflect the importance of the leader and not how much work they do, if the employees are all mediocre what is to be done? Surely there must be outstanding employees out there. The future of companies, of governments, ultimately rests on each individual having the outstanding abilities, but the stakes are different at that level compared to the individual level. There are self-imposed constraints and extraneous considerations. If one begins considering how this planet might try to create a better future it is endless. Rather, each person can only strive to achieve the best they can for themselves and then for those around them. Even here you are constrained by the environment, by the historical context. War, pandemic, and climate are just some examples. Self-protection and preservation takes up all your energy. How can anyone think about the planet's future, except through working at companies and governments?

Music and Walkmans will help us along as we create and contribute to the planet's future.

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #7,500 of 8,639
Regarding investing, it doesn't seem fitting for a huge guy like Sony to invest in fledglings whose stocks are cheap. They have to do it late and they'll all mutually benefit anyway.

That's not what he did though.
For example Sony recently invested $1B dollars into Epic Games last year which makes the Unreal Engine in exchange for about 5% worth of the company. 10 years ago Tencent used only 330M US and got 40% of the company. That seems like a very desperate move which gets them very little say and direction of Epic Games.
Sony also threw another billion into Chinese streaming site Bilibili for also a tiny amount of shares of the company.

None of these investments makes much sense as a company trying to expand its influence or growing its business but reads more like an investor buying into shares for returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back