Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #11,116 of 12,862
On "skin" effect: I can see that stranded wires might have an impact over a reasonable distance where Radio Frequencies are involved (except for Litz construction) but I'm surprised that there'd be any detectable difference between solid and stranded (uninsulated strands) at audio frequencies...
I can only report what has been true in my experience. the wires connecting the board to the 4.4mm socket are about an inch (4 conductors), the 1Z uses Kimber cable that is enameled, and the KMOD for the the 1A and 1Z uses 1960 wire. In my experience with XLR Cables and this mod, solid copper sounds better than even the most expensive enameled cables.
Degradation of the audio signal can happen even in that little inch.

Rookie - real men go fluxless. Flux residue has a detectable impact on high* frequency content. Also, use of too much flux (i.e. more than what your resin core gives) creates shorts all over the damn place.

Guess you don't know what you're doing after all.

* gigahertz

quite the opposite. the flux sucks any excess solder back up to the tip of the solder gun, it cleans up the ends, and actually prevents shorts. A bit of alcohol will clean up any flux residue in seconds.
Take you man complex out of soldering.... or not.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #11,117 of 12,862
I’d love to see pictures of this...
I gave my ZX300 to my DAD, and I am now exclusively using the 1A. I found a picture of an open zx300, and the 4 wires on the upper right corner are the ones that need to be swapped out. It's pretty easy to be honest.

zx300 mod.jpg

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #11,118 of 12,862
I can only report what has been true in my experience. the wires connecting the board to the 4.4mm socket are about an inch (4 conductors), the 1Z uses Kimber cable that is enameled, and the KMOD for the the 1A and 1Z uses 1960 wire. In my experience with XLR Cables and this mod, solid copper sounds better than even the most expensive enameled cables.
Degradation of the audio signal can happen even in that little inch.

quite the opposite. the flux sucks any excess solder back up to the tip of the solder gun, it cleans up the ends, and actually prevents shorts. A bit of alcohol will clean up any flux residue in seconds.
Take you man complex out of soldering.... or not.

Only a problem if you used too much solder. Flux prevents shorts if you're terrible at soldering, but in high-end applications, it can cause them as it's a bridge. Especially once you reach gigahertz frequencies, and we all know audio works in gigahertz frequencies, there's a lot more parasitics.

If you used too much solder, use desoldering wick instead. Yes, still has flux on it, but doesn't leave quite a big of a mess behind.

If you solder in a vacuum or non-oxidising environment, you go fluxless. Flux only exists to prevent premature oxidising, thus making a mess. Thus, why if you're going for high-end applications, you go fluxless. But then again, we have established you are anything but.

Finally, I'm obviously taking the p!$$ out of you,in case you still don't get it.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #11,120 of 12,862
Cue Sheets works on the NW-ZX300?
I have a lot .cue + .wav (1 single file) albums, so the NW-ZX300 split on tracks?
it seems the NW-ZX500 does.
No, unfortunately .cue is a mistery to the zx300.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #11,121 of 12,862
Anyone know the best place to get one of these in the UK these days? From what I see it's only available overseas with ridiculous import fees or there are a couple pre owned on Ebay etc, but in awful condition.

Everything about this DAP is my absolute dream device, but it seems I'll never find it :frowning2:

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #11,122 of 12,862
Anyone know the best place to get one of these in the UK these days? From what I see it's only available overseas with ridiculous import fees or there are a couple pre owned on Ebay etc, but in awful condition.

Everything about this DAP is my absolute dream device, but it seems I'll never find it :frowning2:
The best place to get one is probably on the sales forum here. A nice discount for a DAP that has often been kept in a case of some sorts.

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #11,123 of 12,862
Mine is in perfect condition and I might sell it at one point and go for fiio m15 or some similar upgrade but I've never sent anything to another country, where are from? Maybe by DHL or FedEx...?
Uk, it's on your profile... :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #11,124 of 12,862
Well, quick update:

I clocked more than 50h already using the DAP + my IEMs. I'm in love with the unit besides small things which drive me crazy:
  1. How sensitive it is with the artwork, already fixing it but it's a very slow process hahaha
  2. It takes a bit too long to power on and scan the database for my taste but I'm minding less and less.
Super super happy with the purchase. Also these TFZ T2 Galaxy i'm using are really good, i'll wait for a while until I buy something else for my portable listening setup.

Now I'm finding myself researching AMP/DAC combos for my computer and maybe the Sennheiser HD6XXX, once I've got that I'm set up!

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #11,125 of 12,862
Well, quick update:

I clocked more than 50h already using the DAP + my IEMs. I'm in love with the unit besides small things which drive me crazy:
  1. How sensitive it is with the artwork, already fixing it but it's a very slow process hahaha
  2. It takes a bit too long to power on and scan the database for my taste but I'm minding less and less.
Super super happy with the purchase. Also these TFZ T2 Galaxy i'm using are really good, i'll wait for a while until I buy something else for my portable listening setup.

Now I'm finding myself researching AMP/DAC combos for my computer and maybe the Sennheiser HD6XXX, once I've got that I'm set up!

It really is a great unit. It boots up much faster now than it used to. I just plan ahead to turn it on just before I get into a listening session. It only takes 2 to 3 minutes but if feels like forever if you are staring at the screen.

I would certainly agree on the artwork. I used to be super OCD about that and still am in iTunes. This will never give me the level of control I had with my iPod DAP, which I still use in my car. I often wonder what it's like with FiiO and the other big names in DAP's, but then I chicken out and buy a Sony. It sounds great and I know it will work.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #11,126 of 12,862
It really is a great unit. It boots up much faster now than it used to. I just plan ahead to turn it on just before I get into a listening session. It only takes 2 to 3 minutes but if feels like forever if you are staring at the screen.

I would certainly agree on the artwork. I used to be super OCD about that and still am in iTunes. This will never give me the level of control I had with my iPod DAP, which I still use in my car. I often wonder what it's like with FiiO and the other big names in DAP's, but then I chicken out and buy a Sony. It sounds great and I know it will work.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see the offering of other companies, but since I have very specific things I look on a DAP (no internet connection whatsoever, no streaming, tons of space for my music) nobody but Sony fitted the bill (even though I briefly considered the FiiO M11 for its dual SD card slot...)

I'll more than likely purchase a K5 Pro for my desktop so they'll get some of my money hahaha.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #11,127 of 12,862
Yeah, I'm really curious to see the offering of other companies, but since I have very specific things I look on a DAP (no internet connection whatsoever, no streaming, tons of space for my music) nobody but Sony fitted the bill (even though I briefly considered the FiiO M11 for its dual SD card slot...)

I'll more than likely purchase a K5 Pro for my desktop so they'll get some of my money hahaha.

Back when I bought this I was comparing it to the Fiio X7ii, but there was two much talk about glitches and updates. I don't want any product that requires constant updating or modding to work properly.

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #11,129 of 12,862
By A at the end you refer to 16GB storage version?
i have 64gb version and use it balanced, high gain mode activated. it depends on the headphones and bitrate too, also volume, bluetooth and screen usage. i listen with hifiman re2000 iems and from time to time with denon d7200, these are big over ear closed-backs, non-balanced. with FLACs most of the time, i would say the battery is average, maybe 10-12 hours, but didn't pay attention, it's good enough, i charge it once a week or each 4-5 days, few hours each day of listening. I sometime use it as usb dac and also keep the screen on more than necessary. So there is no definitive answer but if your headphones don't require lots of power, you'll probably be satisfied.

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #11,130 of 12,862
Does anyone know if you can disable the super sensitive play/pause physical button. I always seem to touch it and it pauses the music. I've put the button lock on, but then I can't use the physical buttons. I've searched on the interwebs and nobody seems to have this issue, or perhaps care about it. I would love to have use of the physical buttons but disable the touch pause option.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back