Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #7,801 of 12,862
^
I have the brain of a goldfish. I could not determine a sound change from one update to another even if my life depended on it.

I probably wouldn't be able to tell either.

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #7,802 of 12,862
Also, any sound changes? I haven't updated yet as I really don't use play lists or bluetooth, but I will at some point for streaming from my phone. Anyways, just wondering if anyone noticed any changes to the sound sig, as it seems the wm1a or at least 1z folks report changes.

I haven’t noticed any sound difference but the UI is way more responsive now. I have a 400gb card and now it responds immediately!

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #7,803 of 12,862
I haven’t noticed any sound difference but the UI is way more responsive now. I have a 400gb card and now it responds immediately!

That's what I had forgot I read, k I need to do the update soon thanks. I wasn't unhappy with the responsiveness necessarily but hey, an improvement is always welcomed!

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #7,804 of 12,862
I have noticed how the sound becomes much fuller when enabling the sound effect features all together (except EQ). Unfortunately, they also amplify the background noise such as crackling, popping, or artificial noise effects in a song. Been listening to Keep On by Alfa Mist and the sound changes were pretty obvious when toggling from direct sound output to sound effects on and vice versa.

As for sound changes from previous firmware compared to the new one, I might as well get shot if somebody pointed a gun at me and ask me that question.

0009676504_10.jpg

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #7,805 of 12,862
I have noticed how the sound becomes much fuller when enabling the sound effect features all together (except EQ). Unfortunately, they also amplify the background noise such as crackling, popping, or artificial noise effects in a song. Been listening to Keep On by Alfa Mist and the sound changes were pretty obvious when toggling from direct sound output to sound effects on and vice versa.

As for sound changes from previous firmware compared to the new one, I might as well get shot if somebody pointed a gun at me and ask me that question.

0009676504_10.jpg
Isn't that the point of having both?

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #7,806 of 12,862
I downloaded and updated from nanaholic's post link. No problem whatsoever.

I later noticed the firmware is available on region specific Sony sites if you want to read English info...

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/digital-music-players-nw-nwz-zx-series/nw-zx300
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...-nw-nwz-zx-series/nw-zx300/downloads/00015423
From previous Sony DAP updates I used ones for my device's region but I've had no issue with the above link from nanaholic.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #7,807 of 12,862
... Been listening to Keep On by Alfa Mist ...

Hadn't heard of Alfa Mist until this post. I went to sample and like what I hear. Thanks for sharing!

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #7,808 of 12,862
Also, any sound changes? I haven't updated yet as I really don't use play lists or bluetooth, but I will at some point for streaming from my phone. Anyways, just wondering if anyone noticed any changes to the sound sig, as it seems the wm1a or at least 1z folks report changes.
I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I did hit play by mistake when creating a playlist and thought 'did that just sound better after the update?!' - highly unlikely but I open to psychological improvements

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #7,809 of 12,862
I wish windows 10 had better codecs to stream to the zx300... all i get is SBC. Is there any way to get aptx if not anything else?

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #7,811 of 12,862
I have found the creating playlist process takes a bit longer after the update
I meant creating database upon start up takes a bit longer for my 256gb card since the update

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #7,812 of 12,862
I meant creating database upon start up takes a bit longer for my 256gb card since the update
I have noticed the same for my 200GB sandisk card too

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #7,813 of 12,862
I have noticed the same for my 200GB sandisk card too
Mine hangs for a while at about 80%.
Just an observation though, I am happy for the added features and improvement in performance

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #7,815 of 12,862
I tried the new cover art feature from the 2.0 firmware, but couldn't manage to make it work. I tried it with folder full of DSF files that I couldn't manage to tag properly before and also with one with regular FLACs that were tagged with cover art, but it was either greater resolution than 600 or (more likely) it was a progressive jpg. So I've put a baseline jpg inside the albums folders and renamed it to be the same as the folder to no avail. I also tried with a non-interlaced png.

Any ideas? Should the extension be 'jpeg' or 'JPG'? Are spaces inside the filenames a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back