Sony NW-ZX300
May 29, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #6,646 of 12,862
Have you ordered some 4.4mm balanced cables or adapters? I think i asked you this question earlier. I must also add that since i got this DAP i was mostly using balanced out but off late i have been using the IT01 from the SE port and it is equally resolving if not as powerful. It's a treat overall. I have been holding off from putting the screen guard as im **** at it and can't muster up enough courage to.
I recently posted on the IT01 thread saying I felt they sounded better (more balanced sound) out of my Samsung S7 than balanced from my ZX300. I thought with my MUC-M12NB1 balanced cable from the balanced output of my ZX300 would make them shine.

May 29, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #6,647 of 12,862
I had Plenue R and ZX300, Plenue R is the clearer and have more detail than zx300. You can use machbass to elevate the bass, pretty good i guess.
I notice you sold the Plenue R though? Did you keep the ZX300?

I don’t fiddle with the JetEffect settings and just tend to put it on BBE MP and leave it there, which lifts the bass and enhances the soundstage. But I find that even with that the bass is lifted, but doesn’t have much weight to it. It’s hard to describe, but it sounds a bit thin rather than full-bodied. But all-in-all the detail and ease of use does make it an interesting player, I’m probably just being picky! - But that’s the unofficial motto of head-fi right :wink:

May 29, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #6,648 of 12,862
I recently posted on the IT01 thread saying I felt they sounded better (more balanced sound) out of my Samsung S7 than balanced from my ZX300. I thought with my MUC-M12NB1 balanced cable from the balanced output of my ZX300 would make them shine.
It's all about synergy im afraid. In this journey i have discovered no amount of reviews, impressions and measurements can compensate for actual auditioning. That being said not all gear is available to audition and therefore we reply on reviews and impressions to see what other people are hearing with the exact same gear. What needs to be taken into account is that we hear differently too. Im afraid its a hit and miss in this hobby at times. Coming to the balanced port on the zx300, I must say i am very much satisfied with it let alone on some tracks/ albums (i am guessing they are mixed in 5.1 channels) and sadly i seldom use the SE port. I have some after-market cables on the IT01 and they sound very good for their price point.

May 30, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #6,649 of 12,862
I notice you sold the Plenue R though? Did you keep the ZX300?

I don’t fiddle with the JetEffect settings and just tend to put it on BBE MP and leave it there, which lifts the bass and enhances the soundstage. But I find that even with that the bass is lifted, but doesn’t have much weight to it. It’s hard to describe, but it sounds a bit thin rather than full-bodied. But all-in-all the detail and ease of use does make it an interesting player, I’m probably just being picky! - But that’s the unofficial motto of head-fi right :wink:

I sold the ZX300, after that Plenue R. I have WM1a now. Yes, true, the bass is kinda thin but good clarity. ZX300 have superior texture though..

May 30, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #6,650 of 12,862
Isn't there a setting on the ZX300 to just turn off volume limiting? That's what Sony told me on Amazon. They sent me a link to the page in the manual.

Maybe it's not as effective as the method you guys used here, though.

No, it is different for what I understand as well as experienced.

One limits the volume. The other the power output.

May 31, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #6,652 of 12,862
Is there no way to add to the current play queue on the go? Ie ‘play next’ or ‘add to queue’?

Tried this out in store today and liked what I heard, but couldn’t see the adove option anywhere.

Saw the ‘add to bookmark’, but this required you to completely create the list before you started playing. Ie. if you added a song to a currently playing bookmark list, it would stop where the original list ended.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #6,655 of 12,862
Jun 1, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #6,656 of 12,862
Is it fine using a 3.5mm balanced cable (L+, R+, L-, R-) with the 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack? I know that it won't become balanced, just want to make sure it does not harm the player.
It supports TRRS, you won't have any problems.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #6,657 of 12,862
Is there no way to add to the current play queue on the go? Ie ‘play next’ or ‘add to queue’?

Tried this out in store today and liked what I heard, but couldn’t see the adove option anywhere.

Saw the ‘add to bookmark’, but this required you to completely create the list before you started playing. Ie. if you added a song to a currently playing bookmark list, it would stop where the original list ended.
You mean playlist, its only available on the japanese version, but can be added on any version, it just takes less than 1 minute.

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #6,658 of 12,862
Is it fine using a 3.5mm balanced cable (L+, R+, L-, R-) with the 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack? I know that it won't become balanced, just want to make sure it does not harm the player.
It supports TRRS, you won't have any problems.
I don't use 3.5mm TRRS, but are you sure the ZX300 supports that being plugged into the unbalanced port?? Big no on my other DAPs.
Quite probably my ignorance or maybe I misunderstood the original question...?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #6,659 of 12,862
I don't use 3.5mm TRRS, but are you sure the ZX300 supports that being plugged into the unbalanced port?? Big no on my other DAPs.
Quite probably my ignorance or maybe I misunderstood the original question...?
It has been stated earlier in the thread, that TRRS is supported.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #6,660 of 12,862
It has been stated earlier in the thread, that TRRS is supported.
And I thought I'd read the entire thread... Ignorance it is then :flushed:
Does beg the question as to why 3.5mm TRRS is not the standard for ALL portable gear that supports balanced/unbalanced outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back