Sony NW-ZX300
May 26, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #6,616 of 12,862
Lol I was listening to my vast Rush catalogue today and man I’ll say it again this player kills it. Paired with AK T8IE I was like so impressed with stuff like Xanadu, and La Villa Strangiato I mean Neil’s ride cymbal on La Villa is so damn fast and I could hear it so clear like every song on this thing. The separation and resolution of individual instruments is insane, but it never gets cold- it keeps it’s Sony musical sound. From 2112 to Clockwok Angels it just sounded so good.

I didn’t listen to every Rush album today, but I meant to shuffle Rush but I started with Hemispheres and then just went with it to Hold your Fire, Moving Pictures, Permant Waves lol you get the idea. I couldn’t stop because stuff sounded so fresh and I was like wow Geddys bass part there is way more complex than I thought b4, or I never noticed those synth parts etc etc. I went all the way to Signals (I skipped presto) and I have every album:) then went with 2112, then Clockwork. Yes I listened all day and more!!!

Only if you’re looking for the ultra analytical sound would I say you might not like it, although it’s very revealing and detailed. Anybody else if you want a great sounding dap ..... Smash the buy button!

Oh and I’m assuming you know there is no android or WiFi on the ZX300. It’s just a player. You’re not going to be Tidaling or Spotifying on this pup.
Man, you used the AK T8IE with single ended or balanced out?

May 26, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #6,617 of 12,862
Man, you used the AK T8IE with single ended or balanced out?

Balanced out all the way! To be fair they do sound good on SE too. Just not as good, it’s like Scotty in Austin Powers- he’s the Diet Coke of evil, just not quite evil enough:wink:

Forgive my lame movie references, I can’t help myself. They’re always after me lucky charms!

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #6,619 of 12,862
Has the zx300 been missing from sony's homepage for a long time? Or is it getting replaced these days? I've checked 3 countries and its the same
It’s on there quite prominently, 3rd from the top by price. Just don’t click on High Resolution Audio under Electronics and instead go to “MP3 Players”. I think it’s just the High Resolution Audio page that’s out of date. 64D35D7B-EF9D-49E5-ACFD-FD863EDA3DB8.png

May 28, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #6,620 of 12,862
Hello guys,

There is a nice deal for ZX300 in my country so I am quite intrigued to replace my old FiiO X3-2. Thing is, I tried the demo kiosk of zx300 + MDR-1ABP through its balancd port. The sound it make was very great. However, when I switched to test the standard 3.5mm port with my Shure SE215 the sound fall so flat and very bad compare to my main pair of SE215 + FiiO X3-2. SE215 supposed to be a very easy pair to drive, but even with WM1A, the sound was completely worse than how I listening to it through X3-2 everyday. This issue pushed me away from purchasing ZX300 to find more information. Is it normal for Sony player to be like this? Or haye I done anything wrong?

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #6,621 of 12,862
Hello guys,

There is a nice deal for ZX300 in my country so I am quite intrigued to replace my old FiiO X3-2. Thing is, I tried the demo kiosk of zx300 + MDR-1ABP through its balancd port. The sound it make was very great. However, when I switched to test the standard 3.5mm port with my Shure SE215 the sound fall so flat and very bad compare to my main pair of SE215 + FiiO X3-2. SE215 supposed to be a very easy pair to drive, but even with WM1A, the sound was completely worse than how I listening to it through X3-2 everyday. This issue pushed me away from purchasing ZX300 to find more information. Is it normal for Sony player to be like this? Or haye I done anything wrong?
It could be that the unit has not been burned in sufficiently yet

May 28, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #6,622 of 12,862
Hello guys,

The fiio is rated as >224 mW (16 Ω/THD+N<1%) and the zx300 SE as 50 mW @ 16Ω. The difference in power itself will change the sound IMO or the lack of it. I would say the synergy is not great. looking at the 215s specs and its sensitivity being 107 dB SPL/mW it shouldn't need a lot of power to drive it. Wonder whats happening..

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #6,623 of 12,862
yeah, ZX-300 really sounds better when fully burnt in, and according to Sony it will need 200 hours on each port, balanced and SE, separately, to reach that state. It could be that the balanced port on that demo unit is fully burnt in as more people try that out, compared to the SE.

Do keep in mind, though, that most people who heard both the 300 and the WM1a say that the balanced on the 300 is very similar in quality to the WM1a, while the SE is lower level (compared to the SE on the WM1A). personally, I like the sound from both (my SE does not sound the way you described it - which would translate to "awful" :) ), but I do like the sound from the balanced port better.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #6,625 of 12,862
Have read all the ZX300 thread. Keep getting so close to buying one.

Then today I noticed that the ZX300 is sold out on Amazon UK. However there a handful of Amazon Warehouse ones that are opened. Presumably sent back by customers, that are opened so can not be sold new. ..... I was actually considering an Amazon Warehouseone anyway, just to save some money.

The plus side of buying an Amazon Warehouse ZX300 is:
1. I can get the ZX300, listen to and if I return, which I won't, because I'd love it like you folks. Meaning I wouldn't be returning a new one that I had opened, either way. Cool for everyone.

The negative side, or my worries are:
1. The ZX300 might have a fault which I might not notice for a long time. (Like e.g the balanced port doesn't work.) That might be why it's a returned item. (You know how they say Amazon et al, resend out stuff that gets returned when claimed faulty.)
2. The warranty period on only 30 days in effect. You have 30 days to assess if you want it. If it goes faulty after that, you lose out completely. There's no Amazon guarantee with warehouse stuff.
3. Not sure how reliable the Sony warranty is. Or if it would count on an opened product. I have read the odd scare story of Sony being hard work to deal with over warranties. .. I can't even figure out Sony's warranty anyway.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #6,626 of 12,862
Have read all the ZX300 thread. Keep getting so close to buying one.

Then today I noticed that the ZX300 is sold out on Amazon UK. However there a handful of Amazon Warehouse ones that are opened. Presumably sent back by customers, that are opened so can not be sold new. ..... I was actually considering an Amazon Warehouseone anyway, just to save some money.

The plus side of buying an Amazon Warehouse ZX300 is:
1. I can get the ZX300, listen to and if I return, which I won't, because I'd love it like you folks. Meaning I wouldn't be returning a new one that I had opened, either way. Cool for everyone.

The negative side, or my worries are:
1. The ZX300 might have a fault which I might not notice for a long time. (Like e.g the balanced port doesn't work.) That might be why it's a returned item. (You know how they say Amazon et al, resend out stuff that gets returned when claimed faulty.)
2. The warranty period on only 30 days in effect. You have 30 days to assess if you want it. If it goes faulty after that, you lose out completely. There's no Amazon guarantee with warehouse stuff.
3. Not sure how reliable the Sony warranty is. Or if it would count on an opened product. I have read the odd scare story of Sony being hard work to deal with over warranties. .. I can't even figure out Sony's warranty anyway.

Personally, I got a ZX300a from Joybuy... only difference is 16gb instead of 64gb internal memory, but it costs way less. IF things should go south, I have absolutely no idea of how the warranty would work, tbh, so do keep that in mind... BUT 1) fingers crossed nothing has as yet happened :) (and it's been 4 months or so), and 2) even if something does happen and there should be no recourse (don't think that would be the case, but it's certainly going to be less convenient than with, say, Amazon) you can almost buy a second one with what you save :) (not really true, but at least partially so:))

May 28, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #6,627 of 12,862
Hello guys,

I also bought a ZX300 (used) lately to replace my old X3ii and my first impression with the Sony's SE output was that it lacked the proximity and punch of the X3ii, but after a while I started to appreciate the amount of detail and smoothness of the Sony. But be wary of trying to power headphones out of the SE output since High Gain mode barely does anything. After I got my 4.4mm balanced setup going for my IEMs I was really happy with the upgrade in sound.

May 28, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #6,628 of 12,862
I also bought a ZX300 (used) lately to replace my old X3ii and my first impression with the Sony's SE output was that it lacked the proximity and punch of the X3ii, but after a while I started to appreciate the amount of detail and smoothness of the Sony. But be wary of trying to power headphones out of the SE output since High Gain mode barely does anything. After I got my 4.4mm balanced setup going for my IEMs I was really happy with the upgrade in sound.

It just comes down to voltage I think, particularly with multi-driver or hybrid IEMs. These Sony players, when using SE out can only push as much voltage as the small, single cell lithium batteries can output, which is going to be tiny; they aren’t boosting the rail voltage AFAIK. That’s the value of the balanced operation since it doubles this maximum voltage.

Burn in of solid state electronic components is an utter lie. Of course Sony wants you to play it for 200 hours. It’s a great marketing gimmick to get you to keep the product and get used to the sound.

May 28, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #6,629 of 12,862
It just comes down to voltage I think, particularly with multi-driver or hybrid IEMs. These Sony players, when using SE out can only push as much voltage as the small, single cell lithium batteries can output, which is going to be tiny; they aren’t boosting the rail voltage AFAIK. That’s the value of the balanced operation since it doubles this maximum voltage.

Burn in of solid state electronic components is an utter lie. Of course Sony wants you to play it for 200 hours. It’s a great marketing gimmick to get you to keep the product and get used to the sound.

And get to past the 14 days return window.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #6,630 of 12,862
Hi all, I just got a ZX300A. It sounds great, but I;m having major problems with data transfer. I'm using Music Center, and while the songs seem to be transferring to the microSD (Sandisk Ultra 200GB purchased from Amazon) and they show up on the card when the player is attached to my PC, on the player itself some of the songs won't appear. How do I fix this? I've tried rebuilding the database, resetting to factory defaults, reformatting the card (which is currently in exFAT), but nothing. This doesn't affect all my music, just a small portion, but it's extremely frustrating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back