Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 3, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #4,307 of 12,862
Additional drivers don’t always mean a better listening experience. In fact, my N3 with the Sony/Kimber balanced cable has been been a far more enjoyable listening proposition than my multi-driver JH Audio Layla II UIEMs. Some of it comes down to ergonomics but the N3 is an amazing little performer that sings with the ZX300.

Absolutely, plus as I said my listening time with them was not optimal due to discomfort and of course from memory it can never be totally accurate. I had no problem with the sound of the N3, they just made my ears sore. I can tell you I greatly preferred the sound of the 300 dollar orivrtis compared to the 700 dollar re 800's. Go figure :)

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #4,308 of 12,862
See, this is why I'm not checking, ignorance can be bliss :wink:
I was taking the same approach until I turned in on early this morning in bed - I forgot and saw it, and now it cannot be unseen,
Hopefully I remedied it but I'll never know as I will never look again.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #4,309 of 12,862
Sony doesn't want us turning on and off the zx300 it seems. Now im scared to reboot the damn thing.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #4,310 of 12,862
Sony doesn't want us turning on and off the zx300 it seems. Now im scared to reboot the damn thing.

Show dominance. Your gear should fear you, not the other way around. I turn mine on and off at will, let the hellfires be damned! And I go without a case sometimes. I even wind my Andromeda's around the player and throw it in my bag. HUZZAH! That's Living On The Edge for you!!

(the other day a ear bud came off the andros and I wept)

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,311 of 12,862
Damn son moment... i couldn't agree more!! :D

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #4,312 of 12,862
On the topic of turning on and off: with my previous Sonys (A15 & ZX100) you could kind of turn them off but it wasn't until 24 hours of inactivity that they would truly shutdown requiring an actual startup upon next use. With my ZX300 I am manually turning off after use, but at the moment I am only using for about 1/2 an hour 1-2 times a day and have noticed my battery seems to go down a lot quicker than I expect. Do you think it is the frequent startups to listening time ratio that is causing a faster battery drain? Is it possible to change the settings so it stays in standby like the previous players and that would save my battery?

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #4,313 of 12,862
On the topic of turning on and off: with my previous Sonys (A15 & ZX100) you could kind of turn them off but it wasn't until 24 hours of inactivity that they would truly shutdown requiring an actual startup upon next use. With my ZX300 I am manually turning off after use, but at the moment I am only using for about 1/2 an hour 1-2 times a day and have noticed my battery seems to go down a lot quicker than I expect. Do you think it is the frequent startups to listening time ratio that is causing a faster battery drain? Is it possible to change the settings so it stays in standby like the previous players and that would save my battery?
I’m curious about this too. Sometimes my battery seems to last forever without a dent. Other times I’m surprised at how much drain has gone - usually after a period of inactivity.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #4,314 of 12,862
Thanks guys for fanning my battery paranoia.. I do notice the drain but haven't even left it till it dies .. guess it's time to try that.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #4,315 of 12,862
Thanks guys for fanning my battery paranoia.. I do notice the drain but haven't even left it till it dies .. guess it's time to try that.
For battery preservation I don't like to completely run down, so I've not done that. I know I got plenty of life from the A15 and the ZX100 - I'm just wondering whether the boot up takes a bit of juice and also the creating library process takes a bit of time for my 256gb card (with about 200gb of music)

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #4,316 of 12,862
For battery preservation I don't like to completely run down, so I've not done that. I know I got plenty of life from the A15 and the ZX100 - I'm just wondering whether the boot up takes a bit of juice and also the creating library process takes a bit of time for my 256gb card (with about 200gb of music)
i doubt it. i never turn it off and im experiencing the same. Well at least i think i am.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #4,317 of 12,862
Is anyone else experiencing a shorter battery life? Is there a bad batch?

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #4,318 of 12,862
Hum... You are right, the cable seems different:

https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1077519.html

The MDR-1ABP looks like a rip off to me then, although the pricing makes sense considering the Japanese MDR-1A costs a whopping 27,220 JPY (which is a lot compared to the €150 I would be paying in France, €99 when I got mine on black friday on Amazon)

The pricing for the XBA-N3BP makes more sense to me, considering the XBA-N3 is sold 300€ here and 35,290 JPY in Japan while the XBA-N3BP is sold 33,850 JPY for some reason, which is cheaper than the regular N3. The BP variants also do not seem to be sold in Europe but I could be wrong about that.

I was actually expecting the MDR-1A bundled with the official MUC-S12NB1 balanced cable, which would have made sense at that price point considering it costs about as much to buy both separately (at least until you figure out the MDR-1A is largely overpriced in Japan compared to the overseas markets).
Don't get me wrong, the MDR-1A is a good pair of headphones, it's just not a 220€ one. For that price you have much better options, such as the Sennheiser HD6XX (although that's not sold in Japan either)

Sorry to bump this from a few weeks back, but I got pretty interested in the MDR-1ABP when I started researching a bit on the ZX300. Not that I expect it to be the best possible sound one can get from this DAP, but considering it comes with the 4.4 cable and I need a closed set (I'm happy with my MA900 for open back, but my wife sometimes doesn't want to listen along with me LOL). But I'm not sure why you call the MDR-1ABP a ripoff. The price in Japan is 26,880. That's $244 US at current exchange. Sure that doesn't compete with the black friday deal you landed, but regular pricing for the regular MDR-1A on Amazon right now is $248, or $175 for a non-warrantied 'int'l' version. Of course for whatever reason accessoryjack has the 1ABP for $360 US, so yeah at that price I'd agree, rip off. Fortunately I'll have the chance to pick up the ZX300 in Japan this June, and I might add the 1ABP while I'm at it. Are there any other portable over ear cans with a pentaconn cable out of the box?

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #4,319 of 12,862
Sorry to bump this from a few weeks back, but I got pretty interested in the MDR-1ABP when I started researching a bit on the ZX300. Not that I expect it to be the best possible sound one can get from this DAP, but considering it comes with the 4.4 cable and I need a closed set (I'm happy with my MA900 for open back, but my wife sometimes doesn't want to listen along with me LOL). But I'm not sure why you call the MDR-1ABP a ripoff. The price in Japan is 26,880. That's $244 US at current exchange. Sure that doesn't compete with the black friday deal you landed, but regular pricing for the regular MDR-1A on Amazon right now is $248, or $175 for a non-warrantied 'int'l' version. Of course for whatever reason accessoryjack has the 1ABP for $360 US, so yeah at that price I'd agree, rip off. Fortunately I'll have the chance to pick up the ZX300 in Japan this June, and I might add the 1ABP while I'm at it. Are there any other portable over ear cans with a pentaconn cable out of the box?
not that i know of. the hd660 comes with one i believe, but it's neither portable or closed.

the oppo pm3 is balanced, you just have to buy a cable. brise made a couple for the pm3.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #4,320 of 12,862

You might want to hold out for a bit, as there is a MDR-1AMk2 coming out in spring, which will also come with a 4.4mm balance cable in the box. When that comes I expect prices for the MDR-1ABP will drop as Sony and dealers clear old stock.

Also I've tried a lot of closed portable cans, there are actually not a lot of choices in that price point with similar quality to the MDR-1A, probably because it's a niche within a niche (audiophiles don't go for close cans in general, which leaves only average consumers who would rather pay for Beats or something similar). To get better quality you'll have to pay double or more to an Ultrasone Edition M or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back