Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 15, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,747 of 12,862
Yes in the album viewer or in the advanced details it will say MQA instead of FLAC
It seems like i'm not getting it, alright it doesn't really matter, i'll just listen to it as normal.:yum:

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,748 of 12,862
I think this has already been discussed in some way but I was planning to buy a ZX300 along with a Sennheiser HD 660 S for christmas. The 660s come with a 4.4 mm balanced cable.

On the european sony site I have read the following stats:

Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)
1,6-4,2 mW
Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
MPEG4
1,6-4,2 mW

while sony.com says this:

50 mW + 50 mW (High Gain)
MPEG4
200 mW + 200 mW (High Gain)

Is there really such a significant difference? Will the ZX300 be able to drive the 660s at all?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,749 of 12,862
It seems like the Japanese version sold in amazon has dropped there prices, and also it looks like the official tourist version might not be released.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,750 of 12,862
First impressions (on the look and feel side) : very beautiful device. I like the mate screen and I don't think that I'll put a screen protector on it.
I thought that I didn't need a case but I'm afraid that someday, the unit will fall on the ground (I always pay attention but like the bumper sticker says '**** happens'.

For me, the most beautiful audio player that I got was Sony Walkman WM-DD9.

http://www.walkman-archive.com/wa/project/sony-wm-dd9/#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/1/
I had a similar one! I too loved those! Got my first in the early 80s I believe..

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #2,752 of 12,862
I think this has already been discussed in some way but I was planning to buy a ZX300 along with a Sennheiser HD 660 S for christmas. The 660s come with a 4.4 mm balanced cable.

On the european sony site I have read the following stats:

1,6-4,2 mW
MPEG4
1,6-4,2 mW

while sony.com says this:

50 mW + 50 mW (High Gain)
MPEG4
200 mW + 200 mW (High Gain)

Is there really such a significant difference? Will the ZX300 be able to drive the 660s at all?

Thanks in advance!
Yes there is a difference between capped and uncapped! Tho its not that huge but I would recommend to just remove the cap. Its very easy to remove and is done in less than 5 minutes. Also the hardware for all ZX300 is the same so if you uncap your player you will have the complete power like all other uncapped units. Also the output on the European site is wrong, I informed the Sony support already but that numbers arent the realy output numbers of the capped version! Also dont worry about the warranty, uncapping your unit wont cause any problems with the Sony support! I have a friends who had to sent in his uncapped A30 and they didnt care about it (probably didnt even check it).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,755 of 12,862
For those with experience with the Shure SE846 iems: I've never used these with a balanced connection/cable. Should I replace the current "sleeve" with the balanced sleeve, instead of the standard one which I believe I have on there now? Will doing so optimize the sound? Thanks.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,756 of 12,862
For those with experience with the Shure SE846 iems: I've never used these with a balanced connection/cable. Should I replace the current "sleeve" with the balanced sleeve, instead of the standard one which I believe I have on there now? Will doing so optimize the sound? Thanks.
The balanced output does sound better and puts out more power so it might sound a bit different. Tho it might be that the SE846 might not sound very different. Best would be to try it and if you like sound alot more keep the cable.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,757 of 12,862
One thing about the ZX300, most glass screen protector on the market won't fit, as the edge is slightly curved, you will get air gaps along the rim, most glass protector is made to the right size which runs right along the edge.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #2,758 of 12,862
The balanced output does sound better and puts out more power so it might sound a bit different. Tho it might be that the SE846 might not sound very different. Best would be to try it and if you like sound alot more keep the cable.
Why wouldn't the SE846 in the balanced output not sound very different? (I bought these iems believing that they were fairly high-end)?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,759 of 12,862
Why wouldn't the SE846 in the balanced output not sound very different? (I bought these iems believing that they were fairly high-end)?

Well, High-end doesn’t mean High-performances to everything :D . High-end only means “high-maintenance”, or simply put.....more expensive to get it to perform right :D.

You don’t date Super Models with nickels and pennies my man

In this case, the synergies with your 846 and the Zx300, and maybe the power output differences or impedance on both SE and Balances maybe differences....or the cables..... Most of the time it is positive, but sometime it could be negative. You just have to try it out and find out

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,760 of 12,862
Well, High-end doesn’t mean High-performances to everything :D . High-end only means “high-maintenance”, or simply put.....more expensive to get it to perform right :D.

You don’t date Super Models with nickels and pennies my man

In this case, the synergies with your 846 and the Zx300, and maybe the power output differences or impedance on both SE and Balances maybe differences....or the cables..... Most of the time it is positive, but sometime it could be negative. You just have to try it out and find out
Okay, gotcha, understood. Out of curiosity, which iems are people finding pair very well with the ZX300??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back