Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,731 of 12,862
yes, all hi res files will display the logo, and even a MQS file is a extention of the FLAC will also display as HI res, but how do we actually know that the files are MQS just by looking at the screen, although i do know because I put the files in.
Like @Bepli already said, it will not show specifically as MQA. From what I gather, mqa is not a format just a 'quality stamp', that it is the original authentic studio quality instead of the commercialized 'shaven' version :)
I don't have any need for it though.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #2,732 of 12,862
Rather than being a new file type to sit alongside FLAC, WAV et al, MQA files can instead be packaged inside any lossless container such as FLAC, WAV or Apple Lossless.
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/mqa-audio-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#kMX0vIdHz0C17bR6.99

Whathifi confirms it. MQA is basically just an algorithm that has managed to make hi-res files more compact and not exclusive to any format. Essentially, what this means for us listeners is that it'll take less space on a device than other hi-res files and that you will be able to stream it more easily.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #2,733 of 12,862
It will play MQA files fine on SD but in DAC mode (from Tidal via UAPP or Tidal PC) only plays as PCM 44kHz If I recall.

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #2,734 of 12,862
Whathifi confirms it. MQA is basically just an algorithm that has managed to make hi-res files more compact and not exclusive to any format. Essentially, what this means for us listeners is that it'll take less space on a device than other hi-res files and that you will be able to stream it more easily.
I think the ZX300 only supports MQA FLAC files, if you check sony site, it does say MQA flac .

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #2,735 of 12,862
Like @Bepli already said, it will not show specifically as MQA. From what I gather, mqa is not a format just a 'quality stamp', that it is the original authentic studio quality instead of the commercialized 'shaven' version :)
I don't have any need for it though.
Reading back the thread, I only see @Bepli say it show as MQA, but I don't see the indicator, so in other words, MQA or non MQA, you can't really tell the differences.

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #2,736 of 12,862
Reading back the thread, I only see @Bepli say it show as MQA, but I don't see the indicator, so in other words, MQA or non MQA, you can't really tell the differences.
If you select a track thats in MQA it will say MQA at the file format and if its not MQA it will say for example FLAC! Also MQA is at the moment only supported to be played back directly and not through the DAC-Mode. Sony might add this feature in the future, but the MQA and Sony press release also only says that the players are capable of playing back downloaded MQA music.

Also there is kinda a problem because MQS is a music format introduces by astell&kern and its basically just very high res FLAC files without anything else (can be played back on any device). And MQA is by the uk company MQA and needs a capable playback device to actually play the full quality.

Also MQA is bad for the music industry I would say! Its basically the already available hi-res file with some things applied. They put there DSP on the files and re-encode it with there algorithm. Its basically music DRM, also paying the same or more than the original file used makes no sense so either the MQA files are cheaper or I wont support them. You pay more to have less freedom in playing the files back (@ original resolution). Also MQA is lossy in the hi-res part (I think above 40khz or smth).

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #2,737 of 12,862
If you select a track thats in MQA it will say MQA at the file format and if its not MQA it will say for example FLAC! Also MQA is at the moment only supported to be played back directly and not through the DAC-Mode. Sony might add this feature in the future, but the MQA and Sony press release also only says that the players are capable of playing back downloaded MQA music.

Also there is kinda a problem because MQS is a music format introduces by astell&kern and its basically just very high res FLAC files without anything else (can be played back on any device). And MQA is by the uk company MQA and needs a capable playback device to actually play the full quality.

Also MQA is bad for the music industry I would say! Its basically the already available hi-res file with some things applied. They put there DSP on the files and re-encode it with there algorithm. Its basically music DRM, also paying the same or more than the original file used makes no sense so either the MQA files are cheaper or I wont support them. You pay more to have less freedom in playing the files back (@ original resolution). Also MQA is lossy in the hi-res part (I think above 40khz or smth).

Thanks for the details, I have download a MQA file from a link posted within this thread, all I can find on the ZX300 is it's FLAC, but does not say it's MQA, Sony has stated that MQA is not available through streaming using the DAC, not sure if that will change in the near future, but that doesn't affect me, as i never stream music.

I have a few MQS from AK, it's more of a QC and not a files format, it's a shame that most MQS files are only available from korean ( well the music files that I like anyways), and MQS files from Hong Kong are crap, the recordings SQ is very low.

I'm ok with files in FLAC, MP3 and DSD, as I don't expect too much, as long as the recording is good quality.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,739 of 12,862
Any charger that you use for you smartphone or a cable link to your PC will do.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,741 of 12,862
The player will auto adjust to the correct current.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #2,742 of 12,862
First impressions (on the look and feel side) : very beautiful device. I like the mate screen and I don't think that I'll put a screen protector on it.
I thought that I didn't need a case but I'm afraid that someday, the unit will fall on the ground (I always pay attention but like the bumper sticker says 'crap happens'.

For me, the most beautiful audio player that I got was Sony Walkman WM-DD9.

http://www.walkman-archive.com/wa/project/sony-wm-dd9/#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/1/

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,743 of 12,862
Yes, you are correct, the DD9 is one of the nices tape player, it one of those high one, anyway if you do want a protector, you have to use a PET matt one, glass protector doesn't look nice on the ZX300, tried a few. for a case you can consider the OEM Sony case.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #2,744 of 12,862
Yes, you are correct, the DD9 is one of the nices tape player, it one of those high one, anyway if you do want a protector, you have to use a PET matt one, glass protector doesn't look nice on the ZX300, tried a few. for a case you can consider the OEM Sony case.

I can't find any case on European websites (Amazon). I'm already tempted to buy a balanced cable but I think I'll wait for that to enjoy the upgrade.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,745 of 12,862
Is there a way to see the real battery percentage?

Actual firmware is 1.0.
If I use RockBox procedure under FW 1.0 to eliminate the volume limitation and then upgrade to FW 1.10 (sony.co.uk), will the volume limitation be back again ?

[EDIT] Sound pressure seems to be OFF out of the box for Sony NW-ZX300 coming from Amazon.co.uk

C:\scsitool-nwz-v16.exe F: dest_tool get
Model: NW-ZX300
Series: NW-ZX300 Series
Destination: CEW2 (103)
Sound pressure: 0 (off)

[EDIT 2] Sound pressure stays off after FW upgrade

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back