Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,551 of 12,862
Hi, did you update the firmware 1.10 with a Mac?

I tried to update with my Mac, but the macOS always displayed the ZX300 not detected. I have followed all instructions on screen but no way I can update the firmware :frowning2:

That is really a problem. Let us know how it works out. I have a Mac too and was planning to pick up a ZX300 when they hit the US.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,553 of 12,862
Hi, did you update the firmware 1.10 with a Mac?
I tried to update with my Mac, but the macOS always displayed the ZX300 not detected. I have followed all instructions on screen but no way I can update the firmware :frowning2:

I used Windows, keep in mind however that the USB Mass storage needs to be enabled during the update.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,554 of 12,862
If you have garnered a big history listening to Apple Touchs, this new ZX300 exhudes more warmth, a bigger sound and extra sauce!

Not that heavy either. It's got a lighter weight than it sounds thing going on. Should be in stores around the world this week.

Well, if you've been walking around with a Apple Touch in your hands, the ZX300 greets with an unexpected smoothness and big air. Lots of sound stage and an almost killer for their upper line of DAPs. I thought the UI was smooth and easy to use. I only had my 1More Triple Drivers with me, but it made them sound like nothing portable I have heard for the money. Sony is ushering in a new era with this one. Didn't spend a tone of time with it but I have no issues with what's posted above.

It's pretty clear how advanced the sound is.

Truly big detailed and fast sounding. Made you question the low weight and size. Sick is my word for it!
Aaaawww, you flatter us owners of this beautiful device :hugging:

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,555 of 12,862
HaHa!

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,556 of 12,862
I have to own up - I admit, I sold my nw-zx2, along with some other cool sh-t, just last week to justify my purchase of the iPhone X. Needed to show the wife that I sold as much as was needed for the purchase. But some things bothered me about the zx2 anyway. Not so easy to carry around, as it was just a little bit too big and heavy. It took too long to start up, had a relatively slow interface, and was bogged down by all of that internet based stuff. Along those lines it's only Tidal that I will miss. And no balanced output, at least that's what I thought at the time. Come to learn now that there was in fact one with the right adapter.
I'm thinking that someone must've done a comparison review of the zx2 to the zx300 by now. If so, please send along the link. From what I've read, I'm thinking that they sound almost identical, except that the soundstage isn't quite as wide with the zx300. I'd be real interested in hearing about any other differences.
My Japanese version zx300 is coming next week (and I'm hoping I'll have found a way to update the firmware with my mac by then).

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #2,558 of 12,862
I have to own up - I admit, I sold my nw-zx2, along with some other cool sh-t, just last week to justify my purchase of the iPhone X. Needed to show the wife that I sold as much as was needed for the purchase. But some things bothered me about the zx2 anyway. Not so easy to carry around, as it was just a little bit too big and heavy. It took too long to start up, had a relatively slow interface, and was bogged down by all of that internet based stuff. Along those lines it's only Tidal that I will miss. And no balanced output, at least that's what I thought at the time. Come to learn now that there was in fact one with the right adapter.
I'm thinking that someone must've done a comparison review of the zx2 to the zx300 by now. If so, please send along the link. From what I've read, I'm thinking that they sound almost identical, except that the soundstage isn't quite as wide with the zx300. I'd be real interested in hearing about any other differences.
My Japanese version zx300 is coming next week (and I'm hoping I'll have found a way to update the firmware with my mac by then).

http://osusu-ear-80idolhit.com/nw-zx300-review/

Pretty informitive despite the translation, he clearly thinks the zx300 sounds clearer than the zx2 even from the SE.

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,559 of 12,862
Wow I definitely wouldn’t risk that. But for the Shure IEMS, Im safe using an aftermarket 4.4mm balanced mmcx cable? If so, anyone have a link to one? I want to see what you mean.
I have purchased this one from Lune audio ,, £100 delivered to uk https://www.null-audio.com/products/lune-series-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones , havent had a chance to try it yet but it gets good reviews ,,, there is also two sony cables , one of which is made by Kimber

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,560 of 12,862

I used Windows, keep in mind however that the USB Mass storage needs to be enabled during the update.

Thanks Mathieulh, with you tips I am now able to update my ZX300 to firmware ver. 1.10 :)

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,562 of 12,862
http://osusu-ear-80idolhit.com/nw-zx300-review/

Pretty informitive despite the translation, he clearly thinks the zx300 sounds clearer than the zx2 even from the SE.

I have burned-in the SE socket for almost 120 hrs, still way to go till 200 hrs. The soundstage is now definitely improved and the timbre has become more detailed.

As a previous ZX2 owner, to my ear the SE on ZX300 sounds obviously clearer than that I heard from ZX2. The major improvement is the instrument separation. However, the bass is bit weaker, and the music presentation is a bit lack of richness if compared to ZX2. Right now the soundstage is still lack of depth and a bit flat on the SE of ZX300.

I audition with my CA Polaris (250 hrs burn-in). I believe there is still room of improvement as my ZX300 reaches more than 200 hrs mark and Polaris more than 300 hrs.

Nov 10, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #2,563 of 12,862
Hi guys.
I've just ordered my NW-ZX300 from Amazon.co.uk because there's a huge price difference with Amazon.fr (almost 122 €).

I don't know very well how balanced output performs and I don't even know if my IEM EarSonic EM3-Pro are compatible (still waiting an answer from their support).
I'm also waiting for the Nuraphone Bluetooth earphones since I know that NW-ZX300 is aptx compatible.
My previous DAP were Cowon S9 and X7. I hesitated to buy a used Plenue 1 but battery is too poor.
I am sure you'll enjoy your ZX300. Aptx HD is also supported by the ZX300 and it is better. LG sell IEM that support Aptx HD.

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #2,564 of 12,862
I have burned-in the SE socket for almost 120 hrs, still way to go till 200 hrs. The soundstage is now definitely improved and the timbre has become more detailed.

As a previous ZX2 owner, to my ear the SE on ZX300 sounds obviously clearer than that I heard from ZX2. The major improvement is the instrument separation. However, the bass is bit weaker, and the music presentation is a bit lack of richness if compared to ZX2. Right now the soundstage is still lack of depth and a bit flat on the SE of ZX300.

I audition with my CA Polaris (250 hrs burn-in). I believe there is still room of improvement as my ZX300 reaches more than 200 hrs mark and Polaris more than 300 hrs.
Depending on headphones and IEMs, I actually prefer the sense of richness on the zx2 compared to the zx300. For harder to drive headphones, the zx300 exhibits shear sense of power and stronger dynamics over the ZX2. Still, I do find the zx2 to be warmer in tone and has a stronger lower end and can be very great match with slightly brighter sounding headphones. The ZX300 is leaner and also clearner with more power. I still think that the zx300 is the ZX1 done right while the ZX2 is kind of the 1Z but without the drivability and slightly thicker overall tone. I only have 200 hour on the Balanced out of zx200. Hopefully it will get even smoother and more relaxed.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #2,565 of 12,862

Users who are viewing this thread

Back