1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony NW-ZX300

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by riotgrrl, Jul 10, 2017.
First

Back
671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680
682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691
Next

Last
  1. GreenBow
    Thanks man. I would not be surprised if balanced sounded fuller or clearer.

I think the purpose of balanced is to remove noise. (Noise being small electrical charges in the system. It constructively and destructively, interferes with the audio voltage signals. Even very small amounts of noise are not desirable.) It's why we have numbers like signal to noise ratio.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Shane D
    I was recently told it is just more voltage, meaning more power and that balanced only matters if you are running long distances.

Placebo or not, it sounds Great to me.:gs1000smile:

Shane D

CoryGillmore likes this.
  3. CoryGillmore
    Speaking of the ZX300 balanced vs SE. I found the balanced out made almost no difference compared to SE when using my IER-M9. Now the Z7 is like night and day when using balanced vs SE.

Shane D likes this.
  4. Leetransform25
    Will the read speed of the SD card you use help with loading times such as album art or the database creation? I just picked up a 128GB Micro SD as an upgrade to my 64GB that I've been using for my ZX300, and probably use the old card for my phone which is starting to run out of storage.

5. Shane D
    I doubt it. Playing music and viewing images are pretty simple tasks for anything remotely computerized. I just went from a 128Gb card to a 200GB card and noticed no performance difference. My smaller card was up over 120GB, so I figured it was time to upgrade. Now my 128Gb card in the phone is getting Very full. Soon time to look for another 200GB. You could buy a super duper speed card and see if there's a difference, but I wouldn't.:relaxed:

Shane D

Leetransform25 likes this.
  6. Hinomotocho
    I heard that too. When I researched about balanced before buying the ZX300 there was some reputable website saying that it was just marketing and made no difference for portable players - definitely sounds great to me, especially over the SE.

7. kalo86
    The main difference between SE and Balanced is the output power due to the increased voltage in the balanced scheme. I am not an expert in electronics but if you test both the output 3.5mm vs 4.4mm with at least a dynamic driver iem, then you will choose the balanced output for the rest of your life :L3000:

PS: if someone is interested in the Sony ZX300, I am selling my unit. Thanks!

purk likes this.
  8. sandy1010

It depends what headphones you’re listening to.

If balanced armatures, the SE connection is more than enough.

If full sized, over ear then you’ll want the extra power of the balanced connection.

9. Shane D
    I hate IEM's. All of my gear is over ear/on ear. And yes the balanced out is nice. I also bought a balanced DAC to go with my balanced amp(s).

Shane D

10. robulation
    I’m the exact opposite... I love IEMs. Be interested to know why they’re not your thang?... For me, there’s nothing I hate more than wearing over-ears on a scorchio-hot day, and ultra compact suits my lifestyle I guess.

11. Shane D
    You are right about the hot days, even at home.

IEM's are always falling out for me as I move around. Even chewing (as in eating lunch) makes them fall out. Maybe customized ones would be the answer, but I have no urge.

Shane D

12. forper
    Thanks Aelien, that helps a lot.

13. Hinomotocho
    I like overheads, but favour iems for a few reasons, a major one being is that they don't permanently flatten my hair.
    In an iems vs overheads poll I made the same comment and was told to 'sacrifice my hair at the altar of headphones'.
    Since upgrading to my Denon D5200 w/ balanced 4.4mm cable and being able to finally use the balanced output (with overheads) I'm really getting maximum value from my ZX300.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Shane D likes this.
  14. nocturaline
    You will be missed, Johnny Clegg.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_612.jpg

15. forper
    I prefer IEMs on the move. Fit under my boonie hats and easily into my bag when not in use. Give me better sound than I ever got with cans.

I used to have a problem with earbuds falling out too but since I got my EX700s 10 years ago and my IER-M7s this month I've had a full suite of bud sizes to choose from and have been able to choose the perfect size to fit snug.

First

Back
671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680
682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691
Next

Last