Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #10,111 of 12,862
There’s a part of me that’s debating selling the NW-ZX300 ever since I picked up a FiiO M11. Then I use the device - especially on the go - and think, “Heck no!”
Ha ha.. I haven't demo'ed FiiO M11 but will do soon.. :)

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #10,112 of 12,862
I tried the Acoustune HS1650CU with the zx300 balanced and my god what a pairing. Have to save for the 1650cu now!
Acoustune are always good for SONY players.
I had a feeling their flagships are built for WM1A and WM1Z.
Warmer 1650CU for WM1A and cooler 1670SS for WM1Z.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #10,113 of 12,862
There’s a part of me that’s debating selling the NW-ZX300 ever since I picked up a FiiO M11. Then I use the device - especially on the go - and think, “Heck no!”
The ZX300 REALLY is such a joy to carry around. I want an M11 and maybe even an external amp for home use though. I think that’d be sweet. I like to be able to walk around my house and do things and listen to cans if need be.

I do have a 4.4 Kimber en route to use the Z7 with the ZX300 in balanced mode though. Hope it has enough power. Shouldn’t be a problem considering the Z7 was made to be paired with the lower powered PHA-3. Right?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #10,117 of 12,862
The ZX300 REALLY is such a joy to carry around. I want an M11 and maybe even an external amp for home use though. I think that’d be sweet. I like to be able to walk around my house and do things and listen to cans if need be.

I do have a 4.4 Kimber en route to use the Z7 with the ZX300 in balanced mode though. Hope it has enough power. Shouldn’t be a problem considering the Z7 was made to be paired with the lower powered PHA-3. Right?
How do you like the Z7 with the ZX300, and how does it compare with the 1AM2? Also how well does it drive at 70 ohms?

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #10,118 of 12,862
How do you like the Z7 with the ZX300, and how does it compare with the 1AM2? Also how well does it drive at 70 ohms?
I honestly have yet to even plug the Z7 into my ZX300. I've only used it with my Burson Audio Play and it's great out of that. Unfortunately my 1AM2 is trapped at my job along with my Activo CT10. We went metal free at my facility last month which means you can't enter or exit the building with any metal. Which is why I leave that setup at my desk for pure work use. The Z7 has the 1AM2 beat in soundstage and sub bass. The 1AM2 is also a bass cannon but it has more treble presence than the Z7 from memory. It's tough to know without being able to directly compare. I listen to 1AM2 at work and Z7 at home. The 1AM2 is a very special headphone to me, I preferred it to the Z7M2. Super easy to drive out of that low powered Activo CT10 too. Great portable rig.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #10,119 of 12,862
I honestly have yet to even plug the Z7 into my ZX300. I've only used it with my Burson Audio Play and it's great out of that. Unfortunately my 1AM2 is trapped at my job along with my Activo CT10. We went metal free at my facility last month which means you can't enter or exit the building with any metal. Which is why I leave that setup at my desk for pure work use. The Z7 has the 1AM2 beat in soundstage and sub bass. The 1AM2 is also a bass cannon but it has more treble presence than the Z7 from memory. It's tough to know without being able to directly compare. I listen to 1AM2 at work and Z7 at home. The 1AM2 is a very special headphone to me, I preferred it to the Z7M2. Super easy to drive out of that low powered Activo CT10 too. Great portable rig.
Thanks for the response! I've been considering upgrading from the 1A and can't decide on whether I'd appreciate the Z7 or it's reiteration more. I've tried the Z7s about a year ago and liked them, with my overall impressions being a slightly improved 1A, but with massive difference in the soundstage. However, I'm not able to try out the M2s which sucks as that means I won't
know if I'll like it until I buy a unit, which could lead to either good or bad results.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #10,120 of 12,862
Thanks for the response! I've been considering upgrading from the 1A and can't decide on whether I'd appreciate the Z7 or it's reiteration more. I've tried the Z7s about a year ago and liked them, with my overall impressions being a slightly improved 1A, but with massive difference in the soundstage. However, I'm not able to try out the M2s which sucks as that means I won't
know if I'll like it until I buy a unit, which could lead to either good or bad results.
So it seems the Z7 sounds just fine out of the ZX300. And that's using single ended! I have a 4.4 Kimber on the way that should be here Wednesday so that'll be interesting. It'll be my first expensive cable and I'm skeptical.

EDIT: The more I listen to the Z7 from the ZX300 the more I like it! Keep in mind this is from the ZX300 single ended output too! I think the SE output on the ZX is highly underrated around here! I'm seriously having a hard time finding differences between it and my Burson Play! Which is WAY more powerful than the ZX. No way in hell I could discern the two blindly.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #10,121 of 12,862
So it seems the Z7 sounds just fine out of the ZX300. And that's using single ended! I have a 4.4 Kimber on the way that should be here Wednesday so that'll be interesting. It'll be my first expensive cable and I'm skeptical.

EDIT: The more I listen to the Z7 from the ZX300 the more I like it! Keep in mind this is from the ZX300 single ended output too! I think the SE output on the ZX is highly underrated around here! I'm seriously having a hard time finding differences between it and my Burson Play! Which is WAY more powerful than the ZX. No way in hell I could discern the two blindly.

You would be REALLY impressed with the balanced output. Just buy a cheapie balanced cable off of Amazon. It is a Large difference. Especially with the Z7.

Shane D

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #10,122 of 12,862
You would be REALLY impressed with the balanced output. Just buy a cheapie balanced cable off of Amazon. It is a Large difference. Especially with the Z7.

Shane D
How can I know which cables would be compatible with the Z7?

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #10,123 of 12,862
How can I know which cables would be compatible with the Z7?

You just need a balanced cable that is 4.4mm to dual 3.5mm. My first cheapie cable made a HUGE difference.

Shane D

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #10,124 of 12,862
Has anyone used the Mojo? How does it sound compared to the ZX300?

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #10,125 of 12,862
Any way to tag a song with, for example, "Rock" and "Pop" so it will show on the player under both when sorting by genre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back