Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #8,701 of 12,862
anyone know when paired with BT if the soudn quality setting is the same as 990 kbps in Android? I noticed the connection is far more stable, and am curious if it's equivalent.
i think you can set/check the bitrate that your phone transmit at if you enable developer mode. by default LDAC uses the lowest one (330kbps) iinm.

edit: someone did some tests on various phones: https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #8,702 of 12,862
You can on the phone, but the ZX 300 doesn't say. I assume preferred connection is lowest, and soun priority is highest, but don't really know. The Sony is more stable, regardless, than my phone when it comes to BT connection with the XM3.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #8,703 of 12,862
hehehe... my short impression when demo ZX300

in summary:
(+) Power & Detail on 4.4 is top notch (compare my stack)
(+) Detail Rumble but less punch bass
(+) Smooth UI compare my current DAP
(+) Body finishing quality, undoubted SONY
(-) can't Streaming (my biggest turn off)
(-) unable to cue single flac file
(-) uncommon Port (not USB C etc...)
(-) too simple UI & no volume knob design
(?) Noise <- Gambling...

overall, Great DAP with well know brand, I love the build, good size, & finishing quality... QUITE the sweet spot in term sound quality and cost... if only can do Streaming apps (spotify), I will have no doubt to grap this....
You can stream, you have to update the FW to have the BT receiver mode in which you can stream LDAC (except from Apple). Doesn't sound AS clean as straight out the player but it still sounds very good.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #8,704 of 12,862
I'm assuming Tidal MQA is still a no-go on the ZX300 via USB-DAC -and MQA is only playable when physically on the device ? in USB-DAC mode, mine is basically always showing PCM 48kHz...any settings I might be missing ? thanks :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #8,705 of 12,862
I'm assuming Tidal MQA is still a no-go on the ZX300 via USB-DAC -and MQA is only playable when physically on the device ? in USB-DAC mode, mine is basically always showing PCM 48kHz...any settings I might be missing ? thanks :)

I don't know why but Tidal app via usb DAC shows 48kHz but Tidal via Roon and usb DAC shows 96kHz.

20190130_200601.jpg

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #8,706 of 12,862
yeah, I'm not quite sure how it all works :D I tried it on my NVidia Shield and it connects at 192 but still not sure if there is a way to change the codec or w/e...thanks for the screenshot :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #8,707 of 12,862
yeah, I'm not quite sure how it all works :D I tried it on my NVidia Shield and it connects at 192 but still not sure if there is a way to change the codec or w/e...thanks for the screenshot :)
It would depend on the software used to play the music file when the zx300 is fed as a DAC.. some convert or resample. Are you using windows or a Mac?

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #8,708 of 12,862
I'm about to feel like a bit of a dunce for asking this question but....

Any ZX300 owners out there who have a poopload of tracks on their device, use the shuffle all songs feature and have the nagging feeling they're getting the same selections (or selections from the same albums) at the front of the list?

I realise that this is almost certainly my mind playing tricks/me not actually wanting true randomness :grimacing:

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #8,709 of 12,862

Any ZX300 owners out there who have a poopload of tracks on their device, use the shuffle all songs feature and have the nagging feeling they're getting the same selections (or selections from the same albums) at the front of the list?

I realise that this is almost certainly my mind playing tricks/me not actually wanting true randomness :grimacing:
I know what you mean. I use shuffle all the time and wonder the same thing and then I’ll hear a bunch of tracks that I don’t remember hearing recently. I have an iPod classic that I’m convinced actually plays the same songs in the same order! I think I have almost 8000 songs on a 400g card on the Sony. It’s a great DAP.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #8,710 of 12,862

I don't use shuffle but wonder if you need to check the playback range setting that selects the range of songs that it plays from eg specific album/folder or all - if that makes sense?

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #8,711 of 12,862
It would depend on the software used to play the music file when the zx300 is fed as a DAC.. some convert or resample. Are you using windows or a Mac?

oh sorry, I am using my Android phone (Android 9) ... I read that USB Audio Player Pro allows you to tweak with the in-app purchase of an MQA addon feature. I check my phone's USB Configuration but it looks like they removed the Audio option from the list (File Transfer, USB tethering, MIDI, PTP, No data transfer-which is my selection) and those are the only options available... :shrug:

edit: I tried with my old Nexus 5X (still on Oreo) and it connects at 96... on another note, another thing I noticed b/w Oreo and Pie is that for some reason the Bluetooth settings behave differently. Oreo will allow me to change the BT setting under the hidden Developer USB Options section (and connect LDAC to the ZX) but in Pie, even if you change those settings, it will not retain them and kicks me back to the default SBC settings (with HD Audio: AAC option enabled at best) despite the fact that the phone supports LDAC...and other codecs. I tried all sorts of different settings and still no go. To further testing, I tried connecting my phone to my Sony SRS-X55 BT (LDAC) speaker and it still only connects SBC/AAC...but when I use the Nexus to the BT speaker, sure enough, it connects LDAC... it appears to be isolated to Pie and it's maddening.

Is anyone who runs Android Pie able to connect their Bluetooth with LDAC codec (or any other codec other than SBC for that matter) to the ZX300?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #8,713 of 12,862
I'm using Xperia-XZ2 Pie + ZX300 and it works flawlessly for me in LDAC sound quality mode.

lol thanks! ok, anyone without a Sony phone? :D

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #8,715 of 12,862
V30 works fine too, queue everybody saying my phone works OK. :) Do you have a "Connection Type" option in Bluetooth settings for the Sony?

well, it's the ZX300 so whatever settings you got are the same for me, I have mine set to Sound Quality Preferred and also the Wireless Playback Quality is set to LDAC - Sound quality preferred but from my phone (BT 5.0 - it does support LDAC and other codecs), it still auto-negotiates at SBC (I tried every damn setting and the best it shows is SBC:AAC) - perhaps it's an issue with my phone afterall :frowning2: thanks for checking!

edit: ...aaaaand I found the issue, apparently even though my phone has the ability, there are some outstanding licensing issues that keep it from working... oh well, I guess I will be using the old Nexus 5X for Tidal streaming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back