1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony NW-ZX300

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by riotgrrl, Jul 10, 2017.
First

Back
500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509
511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520
Next

Last
  1. geagle
    1) mine works fine
    2) it does that... if it's charging, it's on. You might think of it as a "feature" :)
    3) You're right, it does not recognize album artist as tag, only artist... which means that for albums with multiple artists, you're SOL, or you need to retag the albums differently, unfortunately. Player could be improved, that way.

Edited to correct #3 above: my bad, ZX300 does manage album artist correctly. One needs to make sure that the proper setting is selected in playback settings (sort by album artist) AND make sure that the songs are properly tagged with the appropriate album artist tag... if there's no album artist tag (=if it's blank), player processes the ARTIST tag, instead.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    GreenBow likes this.
  2. GreenBow
    I had tried, 'sort artists by album artist in the settings'. However had not worked and I ran out of ideas so came to the forums to ask for help.

In Jriver on my PC, JRiver struggles with that album a bit. It puts it under a 'multiple artists' heading, and before A in alphabetical order. All the songs are in the right place though, and play through in right order.

Sadly I have a few albums doing this. Clannad, have duets with a few signers including Bono. y Thin Lizzy album , has some Phil Lynott tracks.

The result is a 'lot' of album listed under artists. ... A solution could be, delete the rogue tracks listed as albums, and just do without them. It would tidy up my 'artist' list vastly. Artits list is what I use to find what I want, all the time. I can't imagine using any other method.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. NoMythsAudio
    You guys are doing it all wrong. Yes it recognizes Album artists (I don't have ZX300 but I have WM1A). Albums with multiple artists should be tagged "Various Artists" as Album artist. Each song, under Artist name will have different artists for that particular song. This is the standard tagging method. As long as the album name is the same for all the songs in that album, all the songs will be grouped together under the album name and under Various Artists for album artist. See images I uploaded for reference.

va1.JPG

va2.JPG

4. geagle
    @GreenBow : turns out that @Bepli @NoMythsAudio were right, and I was wrong. I don't have many albums with various artists, so this did not impact me much (and did not alter my very good opinion of the ZX300 in the least :) ), but even though I did have the right setting on (Playback settings ==>Artist List Display ==> Album Artist), some of my albums were repeated throughout, once for each artist - BUT that was, indeed, only because my tags for those albums only had the artist, not also the album artist set. I just set the album artist tags for those to something(/anything) (V.A., or Various Artists, say), and once I did the player correctly lists them under those, in artist view.

Thanks to both @Bepli and @NoMythsAudio for pointing out that Sony does know better than I thought it did :)

superuser1 likes this.
  5. Zakalwe
    Pardon me for my possibly stupid question, but my searching has not yielded any conclusive answer: Is the ZX300 capable of gapless playback of mp3-files? (Or at least properly encoded mp3s, e.g. like Rockbox can do gapless for mp3 encoded with lame v3.90.3.)

6. SteveOliver
    Gapless works for FLAC so I see no reason why it wouldn't work for MP3 I will test it now.

Edit: I got myself a copy of Coldplay Mylo Xyloto in MP3 and gapless works perfectly.

Zakalwe likes this.
  7. Zakalwe
    Excellent, thank you very much for testing!

Gapless with mp3 is often more troublesome than with other formats - my layman's understanding is that mp3 consists of fixed length blocks, and if the actual recording ends before the last block ends, the rest is filled with silence. A decent encoder will add metadata telling how much of the last block to actually play, but this is not according to the mp3-standard, and thus many players never bothered looking for this. Good to hear that Sony now knows how to handle this.

8. GreenBow
    My Hawkwind - Sonic Attack album has tracks that run into each other. I use FLAC rips. I didn't have to alter any settings, and it runs perfectly. (Good album, apart from the first track.)

superuser1 likes this.
  9. superuser1
    I hope you have Space Ritual too

10. GreenBow
    I had a look at the ZX300 again. I can't make it work how I like. .. However what you said made me think about how I ripped the tracks.

I could add some pictures of JRiver and the albums in it listed as various artists. Tina Turner, Clannad, Thin Lizzy.

I think the thing to do though is re-rip albums that do this. Then put album name as the first tag. Instead I think they are ripped as 'artist' first, therefor e.g. Bryan Adams and Tina Turner shows up first, in the rip. Then that shows up as an individual 'artist' album, on the ZX300.

I used EAC and I do not know if I can re-organise how it rips. Took me over a year to get EAC configured, by keeping coming back and trying. I think I will have to buy dBPoweramp, since I have read it has a simple slick interface.

11. superuser1
    Try something like mp3tag or tagscanner and you'll be good to go.

12. GreenBow
    I will look at that.

I made a mistake in above post. I wrote:
    I had a look at the ZX300 again. I can make it work how I like.

I should have written:
    I had a look at the ZX300 again. I can't make it work how I like.

13. geagle
    @GreenBow as @superuser1 said, MP3tag is a great little free app that you can use to further manage the tags on your music (and what I used to fix my problems on the alnums I had with it). Simple scenario for just one album, in Windows, is: go to the directory, select all the music files you want to manage/change tags on, right click on them and open them in MP3tag - you can also also simply launch mp3tag, and then navigate to the directory you want to change tags for, of course - then select the files you want to add/modify the album artist tag for, and then simply change it on the left panel and then save.

There, just done it again on another mSD card :) :
    2018-09-23_18-04-39.jpg

14. GreenBow
    Yeah, I have both apps that @superuser1 mentioned, saved in bookmarks.

The ZX300 is slowly improving in coherence at the moment, at ten hours burn-in.

I have been thinking about the balanced cable thing. I read that folk are just buying balanced cables for their headphones. Or do I have that wrong. Meaning no need to get particular headphones that will accept balanced?... ... I am thinking about buying another pair of AKG N40, and a balanced cable. That way I can have a pair permanently with a balanced cable on, for walkabout. Plus a pair with a single ended cable on for using with Mojo and Hugo 2, for when at home.

I actually find the AKG N40 way surpassed my expectations. I feel the need for nothing of higher value or higher quality for out the house.

15. geagle
    The AKG N40, being an IEM, will be fine with a balanced cable.

For headphones, OTOH, you need to know how they are wired internally. For balanced to work properly (and not damage the amplifier and/or the 'phone), you need 4 separate terminations for left and right, and for the ground on the left and right (which is why balanced jacks have 4 areas of contact). Normally, 'phones with separate connectors on left and right cup (which means also all IEMs) are naturally wired internally that way, while headphones with only one connector on one cup (lots of headphones, so) are not - they are usually wired with left and right channel, and a common ground for both, so just 3 terminations (which is why a normal 3.5mm jack ends up having only 3 separate areas of contact).

At least, that's my understanding of the matter :) .

The Fife Flyer likes this.
First

Back
500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509
511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520
Next

Last