Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 5, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #7,186 of 12,862
So you disable 'Auto Power Off' ?

Correct, my "Auto power off" (on Device Settings) is set to "Off".

I have not found a setting to just disable the auto update of the database, either (and my unit is a ZX300A, set to japanese region so as the manage playlists better). If one is found (or if anybody points me to the right one - maybe it's named as something not obviously related?), it'd probably be a better workaround. But, in my own real life usage, I really don't see much downside in just leaving the player on standby, tbh

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #7,187 of 12,862
Thanks! You have clarified my doubt. I didn't know if the digital signal being sent out of the zx300 had to go through an external DAC before an Amp. As I understand it now, if i send the digital signal from the zx300 to an Amp without using an external DAC it would work. if i were to send it to an external DAC and then to an Amp then the zx300 won't impart any of it's character on the sound but the external DAC will.

I am mainly planning on outputting the digital signal from the iMac to the amp or amp/dac. But I also wan't to be able to use the zx300 in a pinch. Sometimes it's easier to navigate on the zx300 than on the computer! So far I'm leaning towards the RME ADI-2 DAC because it is quite powerful for full headphones and it also has a special output for IEM!
No offence intended, but you must be using some downright horrible music software.

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #7,188 of 12,862
Correct, my "Auto power off" (on Device Settings) is set to "Off".

I have not found a setting to just disable the auto update of the database, either (and my unit is a ZX300A, set to japanese region so as the manage playlists better). If one is found (or if anybody points me to the right one - maybe it's named as something not obviously related?), it'd probably be a better workaround. But, in my own real life usage, I really don't see much downside in just leaving the player on standby, tbh
To stop automatic Database update, yes like others said, you always leave it standby. ZX-300's charge lasts better than a smartphone! And turn off - 'Auto Active USB Mass Storage' from USB Connection Settings. For me this was bothering most. Even I intended to use the USB DAC feature, every time I plugged in it goes auto activates USB storage, if I turn it off it starts loading data base.

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #7,189 of 12,862
Update regarding CUE SHEET files access issue:

I went to Sony China Service site to re-install firmware thinking may be it would work from there. And there I found this line regarding the new features added on V1.10: support (CUE CUE Sheets file ) ( China mainland only ) Screenshot attached, site translated to English by Google.

Capture.PNG

Now I navigated through all the settings but I cannot see any region, but only language settings. Besides it's not a phone that it can detect location! And how a CUE file has to do with China Mainland location?!! Or is it I need to re-rip CDs to FLAC with CUE sheet with any software that Sony recognize the format completely?

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #7,190 of 12,862
The ZX300 does not show the region, you have to use Rockbox to see this, seeing the language menu is normal except the Japanese version which has no selectable languge, and the cue file has nothing to do with the china version, it's just that the china version that supports it. if you have used the Rockbox to change the region, that means the CUE files might not be support, as you have changed the region.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #7,192 of 12,862
If it's bass you want, the Sony balanced cable has plenty.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #7,193 of 12,862
Hi there.. Plz somebody help me !!!
I have Sony ZX-300 (Japanese Version) and XBA-Z5
Currentlu I'm using 3.5mm jack.... Is there any improvement if i buy the balanced cable (MUC-M12SB1) ????
Currently i'm not too much bass :frowning2:
If you want more bass the first thing I would do is make sure you're getting a proper seal with your IEM. Poor seal = poor bass. If you are getting a proper seal then a new IEM would serve you better than a balanced cable. If the goal is simply to get more bass a new cable isn't really going to help.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #7,194 of 12,862
If you want more bass the first thing I would do is make sure you're getting a proper seal with your IEM. Poor seal = poor bass. If you are getting a proper seal then a new IEM would serve you better than a balanced cable. If the goal is simply to get more bass a new cable isn't really going to help.
I'm using the default IEM's given with my XBA-Z5... What exactly can i do ??? And i was using a 20$ earphone and i felt better bass.. What exactly i can do now ??? Buying balanced cable,Changing earphone ???? Need suggestion .. :)

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #7,195 of 12,862
I'm using the default IEM's given with my XBA-Z5... What exactly can i do ??? And i was using a 20$ earphone and i felt better bass.. What exactly i can do now ??? Buying balanced cable,Changing earphone ???? Need suggestion .. :)
Are you getting a good seal in your ear with the eartips you're using? Try testing with some others if you have any different ones. You don't need to use the tips that come with the IEM - try as many as you can and use the ones that give you the best fit.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #7,196 of 12,862
Are you getting a good seal in your ear with the eartips you're using? Try testing with some others if you have any different ones. You don't need to use the tips that come with the IEM - try as many as you can and use the ones that give you the best fit.
Yes I tried with all of the earbuds given in the box... Using the red one which someone says the bass earbud... But some music seems flat ... That's why need to know if i can get better with Balanced output .. :)

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #7,197 of 12,862
Yes I tried with all of the earbuds given in the box... Using the red one which someone says the bass earbud... But some music seems flat ... That's why need to know if i can get better with Balanced output .. :)
Something is wrong then. I had the Z5 and sold them because of too much bass. They are known as being bass heavy .A balanced connection will give you more power through the iem which may kick up that dynamic driver so you get more bass .I used it w a balanced cable and all I can say is that the bass rattled my teeth. It probably is good for dance mucis but for rock it was too much .the seel as someone mentioned is very important. Try foamies. The comply will increase seal as will the symbio. I used the comply and felt too much bass which you may love .hope that helps.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #7,198 of 12,862
Even unbalanced these should have a healthy low end, a combination of going balanced with the higher output of the balanced output will tighten it up considerably. I can only think of tips being the issue as they are an awkward design to get the fit right and I constantly have to readjust them, pushing them into my ear. When I first tried these with my new ZX300 I found the bass too overwhelming and I didn't like them, 6 months later and after 200 hours of burn-in on my ZX300 I tried them again and the bass had really tightened up.
Lack of bass on Sony iems usually means fakes, but I've never heard of fake Z5 going around.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #7,199 of 12,862
I could never live with the fit of the Z5 and i did try my earnest best.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #7,200 of 12,862
I could never live with the fit of the Z5 and i did try my earnest best.
With the success of the Z5 it's about time they came out with a mkii with a similar design to their custom iems - I love the sound but loathe the fit, if it wasn't for the fact I only listen to my music at home I'd be on the search.
Actually it would have to be one of the worst designs for looks and fit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back