Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 23, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #4,951 of 12,862
You have it on high gain right? The balanced gets better just like the SE does, the stage gets bigger and things settle in a bit.
Yeah I had it on low gain at first but didn't like it, high gain gives it a bit for warmth and attack - I'll give it time as you say because the single ended connection got better over time, but I can't help but think that was the amp stage film capacitors breaking in, which would be shared with the balanced connection - what do you think?

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #4,952 of 12,862
The Problem is not the size. I have albums with 5k x 5k album art that will show. The problem is that the player can not handle progressive album art. Open the cover with a programm like photoshop, gimp or pain.net and save it as baseline. Tag the files again and it will work
just use tagscanner. you can batch recompress album arts. i already recompressed all the album art in my collection, all of them show in the zx300

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #4,953 of 12,862
Yeah I had it on low gain at first but didn't like it, high gain gives it a bit for warmth and attack - I'll give it time as you say because the single ended connection got better over time, but I can't help but think that was the amp stage film capacitors breaking in, which would be shared with the balanced connection - what do you think?

Nope only a couple of caps are shared and the big pos (well at least 3) caps are strictly for the balanced output. The are a couple of diagrams where you can see this. So that's why the balanced needs it's own burn in, and it's all about the caps maturing :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #4,956 of 12,862
i just open my library folder on tagscanner, ctrl+a, choose recompress in the album art option (you can choose the resolution if you want), and click save. nothing changed except now it will show in the zx300.

Thanks, this seems the easiest way, not that I'm that partial to album art (to be honest I always have some missing on my daps) If it's this easy, I'm going to try.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #4,957 of 12,862
Nope only a couple of caps are shared and the big pos (well at least 3) caps are strictly for the balanced output. The are a couple of diagrams where you can see this. So that's why the balanced needs it's own burn in, and it's all about the caps maturing :wink:
Oh sweet, I had no idea they were on separate circuits - well, judging by how much better the single ended output sounded after 10 hours or so, I can't wait for the balanced relay to burn in.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #4,959 of 12,862
Thanks, this seems the easiest way, not that I'm that partial to album art (to be honest I always have some missing on my daps) If it's this easy, I'm going to try.

It'll also find album art for you. I mean, if you're gonna be this serious enough about portable music when a cell phone does the job 95% as well, you may as well go the last step and have a correctly formatted library with album art etc.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #4,960 of 12,862
I'm also wondering if these Aliexpress etc cables are any good - are they low quality, same as or worse than the average stock cables or like unbranded OEM upgrade cables?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #4,961 of 12,862
There are some decent cables on AE. I guess one only finds out after ordering one.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #4,962 of 12,862
Nothing wrong with the cables on Aliexpress. In fact I own a bunch. They all work as advertised. In fact most of the aftermarket cables you see on ebay and amazon actually come from Aliexpress vendors. You can save some money by getting them on Aliexpress vs other sites. The only issue is how long it takes for them to get to you. If you have some patients you can save some cash and get some nice cables out of it.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #4,963 of 12,862
Nothing wrong with the cables on Aliexpress. In fact I own a bunch. They all work as advertised. In fact most of the aftermarket cables you see on ebay and amazon actually come from Aliexpress vendors. You can save some money by getting them on Aliexpress vs other sites.
Good to know, are you able to recommend any sellers please?

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #4,964 of 12,862
Ya Kalo86 on above post. Posted a link to one of the best places to get cables from.. When you get on Aliexpress make an account and use your paypal account or your card to purchase items. Most of the vendors are very nice to their customer and will answer any questions you have. If you use paypal it is very easy to just buy whatever cable you want. Type in mmcx balanced cable on the search tool bar on top of aliexpress page and you will see too many choices for cables.

Try not to go too cheap on the cables you get what you pay for but general rule is you can get very nice cables for about $25-$50 range. Look for 8 core silver coated copper or pure copper cables.
Also if you never shopped on aliexpress before the site will give you a $4 coupon for joining or making a new account with them.

They also have vendor coupons that discount for buying certain dollar amount worth of product. You can shave off a few bucks here and there and end up getting even a better deal.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #4,965 of 12,862
First time buyer - appreciate the tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back