Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #4,456 of 12,862
I love the oriveti new primacy in balanced. Would like to try the ibasso IT01 just for curiosities sake.
I think you should give it a try

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #4,457 of 12,862
pardon me if this had been discussed before but 298 pages of replies are a lot to find out.

anyone compared the NW-ZX300 to the WM1A before? I have both, i find the differences are that the WM1A has better depth and it's bass goes further + more solid. Apart from these, they are pretty close. I am using the ZA, balanced.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #4,458 of 12,862
pardon me if this had been discussed before but 298 pages of replies are a lot to find out.

anyone compared the NW-ZX300 to the WM1A before? I have both, i find the differences are that the WM1A has better depth and it's bass goes further + more solid. Apart from these, they are pretty close. I am using the ZA, balanced.

Oh ya, tried on the balance ports and both player burned in more than 200 hours.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #4,459 of 12,862

Many comparisons have been done, and in all my findings people say the same thing:
A bit better, but not worth twice the price.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #4,461 of 12,862
I am torn not knowing which to keep, brain says ZX300, heart says WM1A.
Only you know the answer to that one, I'm afraid. But for what it's worth:
In favour of the ZX300
I prefer the matte screen
Using it as a DAC is heavenly and super important for me
Sound quality is 99% of the WM1A, especially in balanced, which they both have

In favour of the WM1A
Girl look at that body
Higher internal storage

For me it isn't a tough one and I'm glad I went for the ZX300, I'll wait for the WM1A2 which will hopefully have DAC funtion as well.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #4,462 of 12,862
In favour of the ZX300

In favour of the WM1A
Girl look at that body
Higher internal storage

For me it isn't a tough one and I'm glad I went for the ZX300, I'll wait for the WM1A2 which will hopefully have DAC funtion as well.

Nice post.

Personally I don't need the DAC function. Lucky the ZX300 has gone down in price for a while, for some prospective buyers.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #4,463 of 12,862
Nice post.

Personally I don't need the DAC function. Lucky the ZX300 has gone down in price for a while, for some prospective buyers.
Thanks. Yeah, I was really tempted to pull the plug at £600 but when I saw it come down to £470 it became impulse.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #4,469 of 12,862
In favour of the ZX300

In favour of the WM1A
Girl look at that body
Higher internal storage

Good points there!!!

I don't use them as DAC though.

I think I'll just let fate decide, i gonna post both of them up for sale and see which got sold first and i'll keep the other one. My black ZX300 (uncapped) is almost pristine, play time about 205 plus hours, the first 200 hours were just running in (in balance), I let it play non-stop (only stop for charging) on my bed side. I practically use it for only 5 hours. One thing about Sony's DAP is the stamina, i have songs in flac, alac and some dsd, it can last me a solid 25 hours playing these formats in balance.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #4,470 of 12,862
I've loaded my ZX300 with mostly ALAC and FLAC, but also about 15% of the tracks are DSD. I'm finding that the DSD files don't sound as good as the ALAC/FLAC. They aren't as bright and sound as if they're lower resolution than the others. I would've thought the opposite to be true. Certainly this was the case with my ZX2 (since sold to purchase the ZX300). I thought I'd optimized my settings for DSD and so am unsure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas, or a list of what settings others have chosen to make DSD sound best would most appreciated..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back