Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #4,037 of 12,862
Thanks. Stupid thing is I did already look for gain settings before posting ... guess I didn’t look in the Output Setttings.
How is the volume level with h gain on now.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #4,038 of 12,862
How is the volume level with h gain on now.

Feels like the same volume at about 80-85 now, so yeah that’s a big improvement for my Elears. Will probably turn it off for the Andros though.

I want to figure out how the dynamic normaliser works on this one too. I love the idea of not having to adjust volume all the time but I kind of want to know how it normalises and if that’s doing anything to the quality of the music (lots to learn) - also if it’s normalising from the whole playlist etc, where does it set volume point at.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #4,039 of 12,862
I think that balances the sound level for files, if some at lower volume and high volume, but it does not do anything for iEM if you change them often.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #4,041 of 12,862
I said it before - the dynamic normalizer compresses the sounds and apparently for sony "normalize" means crush the dynamic range.

Yeah that’s what I was worried about. I turn it on and it feels like it’s doing something more than just adapting the volume. For a start, every time I turn it on on any song the volume spikes up (and the sound changes) but should it either stay the same and align other songs to the playing one, or at least sometimes change sometimes down?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #4,042 of 12,862
Is there another way to approach he normalisation problem? For example is the a program I can get which will re-encode my music with normalised volumes or some such. It’d be useful for long trips.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #4,043 of 12,862
There are sound editing software that you can use to increase and decrease the volume, but it will affect the SQ.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #4,044 of 12,862
Is there another way to approach he normalisation problem? For example is the a program I can get which will re-encode my music with normalised volumes or some such. It’d be useful for long trips.
Does the ZX300 accept replay gain? You can use a program like foobar to analyze a group of tracks, eg across a playlist, and it writes a replay gain file. Then when playing back in foobar (or a dap that accepts replay gain files) the volume is equalized across tracks.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #4,045 of 12,862
Is there another way to approach he normalization problem? For example is the a program I can get which will re-encode my music with normalized volumes or some such. It’d be useful for long trips.
Well, I guess pretty much all programs have normalizer or replay gain function. I personally use xrecode and its Normalizer function allows to normalize by replay gain choosing the dB level and apply in directly to the audio or save the RG info in the tags. Or it allows to normalize the sound using sound level using percentage. There are many debates about whether or to what extent it can degrade the sound. It can truncate some of the signal, so I personally never use it coz I listen to one album at a time. I'm too busy to do direct comparisons but I'm sure even degrading the sound it will probably be not as bad as the sony's dynamic normalizer if done mildly and with the right settings.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #4,046 of 12,862
Does the ZX300 accept replay gain? You can use a program like foobar to analyze a group of tracks, eg across a playlist, and it writes a replay gain file. Then when playing back in foobar (or a dap that accepts replay gain files) the volume is equalized across tracks.

That’s very cool but unfortunately I can see no Replay Gain settings and I can’t seem to find anything that suggests the zx300A makes use of it.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #4,047 of 12,862
Posted this previously, but was only available with 2 pin cable, and was sold only in Taiwan, but those who has access to taobao can get these without the cables, i'm sure aliexpress will have them soon.

An alternative to the Mee cable, but can use custom cables.

Basic set up is the female socket, 2.5 balanced, 3.5 single end and 4.4 balanced cost about USD 55

individual plugs are available at USD 16 each, apart from the mentioned above plugs, 3.5 TRRS is also available.

lightning plug is rather expensive at USD 32

extra female socket are available at USD 8

TB2b7Wxl9_I8KJjy0FoXXaFnVXa_!!772849310.jpg
TB2cvlteS_I8KJjy0FoXXaFnVXa_!!772849310.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #4,049 of 12,862
Mines arriving in Monday . I choose it over fiio x7 II . I still can't find comparisons with the fiio and other daps like astel and kern ak 70 II though. And whats the dac on Sony anyway . I get it, it's sony's dac,but should I take the s master hx is the dac actually . It seems like it is not just a chip as sabre for example. I have at the moment fiio x5 II and want this to be upgrade ,not downgrade .By the way mine was order from accessoryjack black version :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #4,050 of 12,862
Mines arriving in Monday . I choose it over fiio x7 II though . I still can't find comparisons with the fiio and other daps like astel and kern ak 70 II . And whats the dac on Sony anyway . I got it it sony's but should I take the s master hx is the dac actually . It seems like it is not just a chip as sabre for example. I have at the moment fiio x5 II and want this to be upgrade ,not downgrade .By the way mine was order from accessoryjack black version :)
Has anyone that ordered through Joybuy and having shipped to the U.S received shipping conformation? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back