Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 2, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #3,541 of 12,862
I still haven't received my zx300, ordered on 26th of Dec from Sony, but I was in a similar position to you and wanting to evaluate this balanced headphone malarky.
There aren't a large number of 4.4mm headphones to choose from, I personally LOATH the Sennheiser sound signature... [rant]years ago I bought a pair of HD800 bcos they were all the rage and supposed to sound the best, with the best reviews, 5* all the way... well they sounded like murdering cats, only thing they consistently did was hurt my ears, make me hate music, and 100hr brake in BS didn't help!; so I when through great lengths to return that crap and I auditioned a whole bunch of Sennheisers, HD600 or 650, IE8, PCX... all sounded like terrible to me, then I found the Denon AH-D5000 and audio Bliss.[/rant]

So given that Sennheiser was out of contention, I was limited to Sony for native balanced solution; MDR-Z1R, MDR-1ABP and XBA-N3BP. I got a good deal on the MDR-Z1R (A$1700/US$1330), so I'm waiting for those to be delivered. Historically never been a fan of Sony cans, I found them too balanced :wink:, but they say the Z1R is pretty warm with some sparkle so I'm hoping they sound nothing like Sennheisers flat + screeching.

I'll update y'all once they've had +100hrs.
ZX300 coupled with MDR-Z1R. Oh boy, that must be heavenly? I wish I could afford those headphones, but sadly I cannot without changing other expenses for a short time (and that's never a good way to buy stuff)

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #3,542 of 12,862
Pretty decent OST. I still prefer the original though.

IMG_20180102_202024.jpg

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #3,545 of 12,862
it's just a normal 3.5mm plug that you use for a smartphone.

Jan 2, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #3,546 of 12,862
it's just a normal 3.5mm plug that you use for a smartphone.

Do you mean port plug? To keep dust or pollution out? I don't live in the Sahara,HK, Los Angeles, or Kansas so I don't need any lol
You guys :)

It just facinates me that people worry about minutia getting into their headphone or other jacks. Unless I guess you used it a work in a mill, construction site or coal mine, carwash or something. But that's what clip+ is for :)

With that being said, if Sony included them in my AP unit, I might actually use them because otherwise they would disappear like socks do in the wash, ha ha

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #3,548 of 12,862
Do you mean port plug? To keep dust or pollution out? I don't live in the Sahara,HK, Los Angeles, or Kansas so I don't need any lol

It just facinates me that people worry about minutia getting into their headphone or other jacks. Unless I guess you used it a work in a mill, construction site or coal mine, carwash or something. But that's what clip+ is for :)

With that being said, if Sony included them in my AP unit, I might actually use them because otherwise they would disappear like socks do in the wash, ha ha
Yeah, I feel like if you have an overall sense of hygiene (not touch the plugs with your fingers, or wipe them before inserting them in the jacks) and don't keep cookies in your pockets, the plugs are not really needed =)

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,550 of 12,862
ZX300 coupled with MDR-Z1R. Oh boy, that must be heavenly? I wish I could afford those headphones
I look at it more a long the lines of resale value; if you get a ~good deal the 2nd hand price can cover most of your up front costs. If it makes you feel any better I contacted Sony asking where tf is my zx300; I'll quote "there was a supply issue and we expect stocks to arrive 16/02/2018", and I got an email from Z1R's store which said they're built to order and will take 8 weeks!!!

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/sony-mdrz1r-over-ear-headphones/ A$1680 (- 2.5% rewards program -10% GST) = A$1470, I reckon if perfectly preserved I could resell for $1200 depending on what Sony does with production and people like Tyll bitchin bout'em. I noticed everyone said they're the best closed headphones they'd ever listen to until Tyll from inner|fidelity said they suck with a peak @ 10khz, then everyone started saying they had issues. I've gone through Tyll's reviews and I think he suffers from PMT, they're not consistent.

Jan 2, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #3,553 of 12,862

After owing my Samsung S7 for about 18 months I was in a situation where I needed to listen to something with earphones - couldn't get the jack in until I removed about 1cm of compressed lint that had built up from being in my pocket. After that experience I will get some plugs

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #3,554 of 12,862
I look at it more a long the lines of resale value; if you get a ~good deal the 2nd hand price can cover most of your up front costs. If it makes you feel any better I contacted Sony asking where tf is my zx300; I'll quote "there was a supply issue and we expect stocks to arrive 16/02/2018", and I got an email from Z1R's store which said they're built to order and will take 8 weeks!!!

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/sony-mdrz1r-over-ear-headphones/ A$1680 (- 2.5% rewards program -10% GST) = A$1470, I reckon if perfectly preserved I could resell for $1200 depending on what Sony does with production and people like Tyll bitchin bout'em. I noticed everyone said they're the best closed headphones they'd ever listen to until Tyll from inner|fidelity said they suck with a peak @ 10khz, then everyone started saying they had issues. I've gone through Tyll's reviews and I think he suffers from PMT, they're not consistent.

I take even professional reviews with a pinch of salt now after buying a highly commended iem and being disappointed.

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #3,555 of 12,862
@superuser1 is that metal looking thing in the 3.5mm jack?
As has been rightly said its a dust pin and why not if it provides some protection.

I found it a bit jarring sometimes... works well with the movie, but listening to it is slow then painful sometimes. For listening I like Tangerine Dream, or Klaus something...
Well Tangerine Dream are great... Eloy is superb too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back