SONY NW-ZX2
Nov 26, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #14,658 of 14,755
Good source for local rips. But if you seek balanced out and true DSD, they might be deal breakers. With good battery life and great sound, I still enjoy mine.
+1 - I still love mine. Sometime on its own and sometimes connected with an ifi ids BL. Either way it still has a very good battery life. Miss Tidal though, but inserted a 400Gb memory with the majority of my (old) CD music. So now I get to revive all this as I am playing it on "random". I bought it as a replacement for the iPod and it will be a keeper:gs1000smile: For 290 (assuming it is USD) I think you'll get a lot of music for the money.....

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #14,659 of 14,755
+1 - I still love mine. Sometime on its own and sometimes connected with an ifi ids BL. Either way it still has a very good battery life. Miss Tidal though, but inserted a 400Gb memory with the majority of my (old) CD music. So now I get to revive all this as I am playing it on "random". I bought it as a replacement for the iPod and it will be a keeper:gs1000smile: For 290 (assuming it is USD) I think you'll get a lot of music for the money.....
Agreed with this and the other replies. Great for local files, but almost imposible to use for streaming these days.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #14,660 of 14,755
Does anyone have experience with ZX2 compare to ZX300 or ZX100?
Should I buy a ZX2 if I have a ZX300?

Thanks

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #14,662 of 14,755
Does anyone have experience with ZX2 compare to ZX300 or ZX100?
Should I buy a ZX2 if I have a ZX300?

Thanks
Hi @kutya, I don't have experience with ZX300 nor with ZX100. I do have a long and satisfactory experience with ZX2. I can't make direct comparisons in terms of SQ, although I'm very happy with ZX2's SQ with IEMs. The only thing I'd say, and it'd be an advise against grabbing a ZX2 at this point (unless you get a great deal), is that being based on a really old version of Android, ZX2 cannot currently provide any of the potential advantages of Android (it's very laggy and, i.e., streaming apps don't work well). I still use it quite a bit for air trips, but only with my collection of local files. In such conditions, I enjoy its sound.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #14,663 of 14,755
Hi @kutya, I don't have experience with ZX300 nor with ZX100. I do have a long and satisfactory experience with ZX2. I can't make direct comparisons in terms of SQ, although I'm very happy with ZX2's SQ with IEMs. The only thing I'd say, and it'd be an advise against grabbing a ZX2 at this point (unless you get a great deal), is that being based on a really old version of Android, ZX2 cannot currently provide any of the potential advantages of Android (it's very laggy and, i.e., streaming apps don't work well). I still use it quite a bit for air trips, but only with my collection of local files. In such conditions, I enjoy its sound.
Couldn't agree more. Again this give me an opportunity to listen to my old stuff and relax from all the streaming services:)

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #14,664 of 14,755
Thank you for your comments.
I would only use local file play, the outdated os doesn't bother me.
I don't know what the real price of this player might be right now, approx. 450 EUR (free of scratches and marks)
Unfortunately I can't find any information about the output power....35mW-50mW?

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #14,665 of 14,755
Jan 10, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #14,666 of 14,755
An update on streaming Tidal to the NW-ZX2 via a PC/Mac.

The Android app "UPnPlay_c0.093" is a free UPNP renderer. It is no longer available on Google Play, but the APK can be found elsewhere and installed on the ZX2. After installing and enabling the UPNP renderer (triple dots, then UPNP Control to find the relevant settings) it's easy to connect with Audirvana to stream Tidal or other services to the NW-ZX2.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #14,667 of 14,755
FYI, I am pondering selling a mint condition ZX2, together with the Sony dock with USB audio out, all original packaging, leather case, leather cover, etc. Tidal apk also available. Stock Sony SW image, EU version, I used it with minimal services and volume control disabled. Works well with a lot of headphones. PM me if interested. If OT, this post can be removed, I will place an ad with pictures.

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #14,669 of 14,755
Good afternoon everyone. Suddenly I was seized with curiosity. The Sony NW-ZX2 player suddenly became interesting. Of course, I understand that it is already quite outdated, but still, against the background of more modern players in the category of 800-1000 bucks, can it somehow compete?

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #14,670 of 14,755
Good afternoon everyone. Suddenly I was seized with curiosity. The Sony NW-ZX2 player suddenly became interesting. Of course, I understand that it is already quite outdated, but still, against the background of more modern players in the category of 800-1000 bucks, can it somehow compete?

Technically the newest Sony daps are still using the same S-Master dac implemented in the Sony ZX2. And the Sony ZX2 had it implemented with ToTL-priced expensive parts & caps.

So, while it's android is outdated. The quality of the playback is still relevant to today. Just only expect enough power output for iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back