SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 22, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #14,461 of 14,755
trrs is not placebo , i had my cables done into trrs when i owned the zx2 (and i also did them into 4.4 now that i have moved on to the wm1a)

btw , i have a TRRS 2-pin cable for sale , selling it for half price and in like new/mint condition with zero usage , since i moved into the wm1a i am not using it so it has to go to a new loving home

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/forza-audio-hybrid-2-pin-3-5mm-trrs-ciem-cable-for-use-with-sony-ΖΧ2-wm1a-wm1z-zx300-cowon-p1-hifiman-901.863115/

cheers
I also think that it's not a placebo. I have a few cables of mine re-terminated as 3.5 TRRS. The improvement in sound quality is very surprising, although we need to keep in mind that this could also be due to the quality of new plugs (I use Oyaide rhodium 3.5 TRRS plug). Instrument separation becomes a lot better. Imaging also improves. Specifically it becomes deeper but not wider (which is a huge different effect from 2.5 balance as 2.5 balance tends to improves soundstage width). I would say that overall the improvement is very rewarding. The only issue that marks a major difference from typical 2.5 balance and 4.4 balance is the absence of improvement in driving power.

Sep 22, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #14,462 of 14,755
I also have a sony 7N cable with a pentaconn brand 3.5 TRRS plug.

Definitely a improvements over the normal 3.5mm.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #14,463 of 14,755
I would even go farther to say that I prefer the effects of ZX2 TRRS over the effects of 2.5 balance on my Onkyo Granbeat as well as 2.5 balance output in general. 2.5 balance tends to increase soundstage and cause notes to be thinner. This leads to sound that has less focus.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #14,464 of 14,755
Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity of the battery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Typical wear for a Li-ion battery is that it will be reduced to 80% of its original capacity after 500 recharge cycles. It's important to note that they mean full, complete recharge cycles--from 0-100%. If you typically recharge the battery when it reaches, say, 20% remaining power, and you charge it back up to 100%, then that's only 80% of a full discharge cycle.

In my case, on average, I recharge the ZX2 once every 10 days. And by that 10th day, I am indeed at approximately 20% remaining charge.

So that's approximately 36 recharges per year. And realistically, that's only roughly 29 FULL recharge cycles per year, since I'm only recharging 80% of the capacity each time.

Round that up to an even 30 per year, and it becomes obvious that it would take about 16 years for me to reach 500 complete recharge cycles. At which point, the battery would STILL contain 80% of its original capacity.

Of course, the simple march of time would probably speed that number up. But it's still safe to say that one shouldn't notice any appreciable degradation in battery life after two years. And likely, not even after five years. By that time, we'll all have moved on to our solid gold NW-WM1Zs anyway. Amirite? :D

Typical wear for a Li-ion battery is that it will be reduced to 80% of its original capacity after 500 recharge cycles. It's important to note that they mean full, complete recharge cycles--from 0-100%. If you typically recharge the battery when it reaches, say, 20% remaining power, and you charge it back up to 100%, then that's only 80% of a full discharge cycle.

In my case, on average, I recharge the ZX2 once every 10 days. And by that 10th day, I am indeed at approximately 20% remaining charge.

So that's approximately 36 recharges per year. And realistically, that's only roughly 29 FULL recharge cycles per year, since I'm only recharging 80% of the capacity each time.

Round that up to an even 30 per year, and it becomes obvious that it would take about 16 years for me to reach 500 complete recharge cycles. At which point, the battery would STILL contain 80% of its original capacity.

Of course, the simple march of time would probably speed that number up. But it's still safe to say that one shouldn't notice any appreciable degradation in battery life after two years. And likely, not even after five years. By that time, we'll all have moved on to our solid gold NW-WM1Zs anyway. Amirite? :D

Can anyone tell me whether there is anyone in the US who can replace the battery? Thanks.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #14,465 of 14,755
Oct 6, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #14,470 of 14,755
I have a question, for you folks,
allow me to preface it with this:
I know the WM port passes audio, HI res only but its limited to UDA-1 compatable amps, according to Sony;
so that pretty much leaves out everything but the Fiio Q5S, and a few others..
I have several Fiio amps the E18, A5, Q1 MKII, And Q5s but they are useless with my Sony except q5s ...
My question is Does the line out single end cable Pass the same hi Res as the WM port??
and if yes will. my Amp be able to display the correct color code on the led for different file formats as it does with my M11

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #14,471 of 14,755
Has anyone loaded amazon music 6.1 apk and checked if it allows amazon music HD playback?

(last apk before 4.4 became a minimum requirement)

Interesting Q&A with regard to the zx500/507

"Is mqa support via the installation of the tidal app on the device? if so can albums or playlists be downloaded for offline listening?
Answer:
Hi,

The Walkman doesn't support installing apps, however the MQA file format is supported.

Sony support team"

So that means no installing 3rd party apps...

Installing apps (.apk) is possible (qobuz is running almost smoothly on an older version). However newer versions of amazon music are not running (error #FN30).

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #14,474 of 14,755
The 1a 1z won't devalue as much because they don't depend on an operating system.

That is why the Calyx M dap has aged well since its release.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #14,475 of 14,755
5 and a half years later price has gone down to $300 from a formidable $1200 price tag.
WOW!

Might as well get rid of my 1A/1Z now before it goes to the same value in 2 years.

And still, while a bit outdated for streaming services and other details it's still a formidable piece of kit. Terrific battery life. Great, detailed yet-well-rounded sound. I'm still enjoying it a lot with my growing collection of hi res and my 16/44 flac files ripped from CD.

I was thinking about updating it and getting a ZX507 (I did some research on other daps, Fiio M11, Cayin N6, etc), but as I see it, the ZX507 is on a tier below in the Sony line... Tempted, but still waiting to see what the replacements for the WM1A/WM1Z might be. The ZX2 will soldier on for a little longer here. No hurries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back