SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #13,969 of 14,755
Has anyone got a zx2 to sell pm me

unless you want a dap able to tidal/spotify/etc , i suggest you spend a little more and get the wm1a

a definite upgrade , imho

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #13,970 of 14,755
This has been asked before but I couldn’t find a definitive answer:

how do I store my Tidal downloads in the micro sd card?

In the app I only see the option for internal storage, and I can’t find a way to set the SD card as the destination in the device settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #13,971 of 14,755
anyone using the ZX2 with the ifi idsd black label? Are you getting the distortion issue where you have to unplug the headphone and turn off and on the idsd? Is there a fix for the distortion that keeps coming? Am I missing a driver or something for the ZX2?

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #13,972 of 14,755
Posted the following on XDA Developers if anyone wants to stay in the loop (if there is a loop to be had):

Is anyone able to validate a successful root process yet? I'm seeing some recommendations that have been non-events for most.

Also, discovered http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/Audio/NW-ZX2.html today: unfamiliar with ROM development, would this content provide all that's necessary to build a ROM or is it missing things like hardware drivers?

Would love to Android 8.0 deployed to what is a fantastic device (and the last Sony are deploying with Android?).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74137173&postcount=17

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #13,973 of 14,755
Posted the following on XDA Developers if anyone wants to stay in the loop (if there is a loop to be had):

Is anyone able to validate a successful root process yet? I'm seeing some recommendations that have been non-events for most.

Also, discovered http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/Audio/NW-ZX2.html today: unfamiliar with ROM development, would this content provide all that's necessary to build a ROM or is it missing things like hardware drivers?

Would love to Android 8.0 deployed to what is a fantastic device (and the last Sony are deploying with Android?).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74137173&postcount=17

The SoC in the device is older, and the limiting factor. You will never see Android 8.0 supported, because the OMAP TI 4430 only has support up to Android 4.3

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #13,976 of 14,755
Hi guys. Question about updating Tidal on NW-ZX2. Knowing that the Android will never be updated on this device, I am concerned for accepting updates to the Tidal app, fearing that someday this old android version is not supported anymore. I am currently running Tidal version 1.16.7.709.2. Any thoughts?

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #13,977 of 14,755
Hi everyone,

I'm from EU and am going to buy a ZX2 second hand from the uk. My question is: is there a way to disable the volume limiter? I had pretty frustrating experiences with previous SONY DAPs due to this. Not loud enough for me.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #13,979 of 14,755
Hi everyone,

I'm from EU and am going to buy a ZX2 second hand from the uk. My question is: is there a way to disable the volume limiter? I had pretty frustrating experiences with previous SONY DAPs due to this. Not loud enough for me.

There is no way to disable the volume cap on EU models. I would strongly advise against buying a UK model if you have had previous issues with volume levels.

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #13,980 of 14,755
There is no way to disable the volume cap on EU models. I would strongly advise against buying a UK model if you have had previous issues with volume levels.

It seems there is a way though:
All righty - these are the steps I took to root my ZX2 and tweak the system config to disable the volume cap. I don't guarantee this will work for you, and do it at your own risk - if you brick or damage your ZX2 it's not my fault! and the Chinese root tool will likely install some bloatware apps or who knows what other dodgy stuff it does

First select: Settings >> Security >> Unknown sources on your device.

Download the following apps from google play:
ES File Explorer (or other file explorer)

On your ZX2 download the APK from this URL: root.360.cn (mobile version download)

Go to your downloads folder and install the downloaded APK - accept security warnings. Open the rooting app and press the large center circular button (need to be connected to wifi).. the app will start trying to root your devices and display percentage - you might see security warnings from Android, just accept them and keep going - once it's done you might see a sad face, if so, try again by pressing the circular button.. eventually I managed to get successfull root (different icon to sad face), you're in business.. I had to attempt few times before it worked for me.

Once Rooted:

0. set root access in settings of ES File Explorer - root tool popup warning will come up > accept on left button i think (in Chinese)

1. you can access /configs/region.zip

2. copy paste region.zip back it up to your own folder just in case

3. unzip /configs/region.zip (you might need unzip app from playstore)

4. edit region.prop (you might need a text editor from play store):
ro.sony.volume_limit=0
ro.sony.walkman.euvollimit (add one more zero to the end of the integer value)

5. save it, zip it up and put it back like it was before /configs/region.zip but with the changed values

6. Restart your device and voila, louder by about 20-30%

7. Optional: uninstall root tool and bloatware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back