SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #13,924 of 14,755
Considering purchasing the 2017 model.

Subjectively, would the improvement in sound quality using the NW-ZX2s vs a (dragonfly red w/ Samsung galaxy x6 or Macbook Air '14 and sony xba z5s) justify the cost difference? I could use the funds to purchase a possibly better pair of iems instead.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #13,926 of 14,755
I think mine has bitten the dust. When I go to Music Player I get the message "Cannot access content while the device is mounted over USB.' But the device is not mounted over USB. It's not even connected to a computer.
I tried erasing system storage and it erased my drive, but still gives the same message. Any ideas?

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #13,927 of 14,755
Re-formatting the 'USB storage' seems to be what I was missing. Back to playing music. Phew!

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #13,928 of 14,755
Hi to you all! I'm sure this has already been discussed and I'm sorry to bring it up again, but I'm coming from an Onkyo dp-x1 and want know if getting a used but like new nw-zx2 would be a step up in audiophile quality and a significant upgrade?( Also by comparing the balanced output) don't seem to find an answer anywhere.. perhaps someone here could help me :)
Thanks

Jul 2, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #13,929 of 14,755
Apparently all DAP that play hi res files is considered to be audiophile quality, but there is no correct answer, and it's subjective. As I don't have the onkyo, I can't comment and compare them, also the ZX2 does not have balanced out, but supports separate ground which is similar, but without the circuity, all I can say is a balance output does not neccessary mean it actually sounds better than a SE, like myself, many people on this forum are happy with the ZX 2, if balance out is a must, consider the WM1A.

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #13,930 of 14,755
Is the older android firmware an issue at this point? How is the native stock sony app for playing various files? Does it have a bookmark section as well?

Thanks

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #13,932 of 14,755
Thanks. I knew it didn't output a huge amount of power, but I didn't know it was that low. It doesn't sound quite that low in practice.
My ZX2 has no problems driving my Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts to satisfying volume levels and the pairing is great. For the most part my ZX2 is able to drive my Audeze LCD-XCs to satisfying volume levels and sounds good doing so; however the ZX2 runs out of steam with older recordings from the 80s where the recording/volume level is low.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #13,933 of 14,755
Does anyone know where in the UK would repair a faulty headphone socket on a ZX2 please. Ideally Sony authorised.

I have Japanese model which is out of warranty.

Thanks.

call your local sony center , they should know a certified repair person about it

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #13,934 of 14,755
Apparently all DAP that play hi res files is considered to be audiophile quality, but there is no correct answer, and it's subjective. As I don't have the onkyo, I can't comment and compare them, also the ZX2 does not have balanced out, but supports separate ground which is similar, but without the circuity, all I can say is a balance output does not neccessary mean it actually sounds better than a SE, like myself, many people on this forum are happy with the ZX 2, if balance out is a must, consider the WM1A.

Agree, very subjective topic. Besides, the most dominant element in terms of DAP sonic performance (not sure if that's what you call audiophile quality) is the headphone you use with it. Perhaps if you elaborate on why do you want to change DAP's, you may get more specific answers.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #13,935 of 14,755
Cool will put something together soon.

Have you experience battery issues after the root? It works actually, the DAP is rooted, cap removed, but now the battery life is half and I do not know what is the reason.
The Chinese app was very difficult to remove, I had to use different app and it succeeded after had been killed from the root app several times. Did factory reset, stop everything not related to music, everything looks fine, ZX2 can drive my Z7 now, but the battery issue is disappointing.
Could you say what active apps you have in your ZX2? I', trying to find what could be the issue with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back