SONY NW-ZX2
May 15, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #13,877 of 14,755
One strange thing I've noticed. I'm aware of the cold-start "hiss" that goes away after a few seconds.

however, if I leave nothing playing, the headphone out has random spurts of hisses. Hisses for a second, stops for 3 seconds, hisses for another split second, stops, etc, and repeats for hours.

Even with wifi turned off, it does this. Not that worried about it but seems strange to me that a $1200 hi-fi device like this has interference or some glitchiness like that interfereing with the black background when nothing is playing. Wondering if this would come out through line-out mode if I hooked it up to my living room stereo/amp.

May 15, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #13,878 of 14,755
Also, with root, I wonder if we can change the region definition so it can take the 1.01 japan-only firmware update?

May 22, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #13,880 of 14,755
One strange thing I've noticed. I'm aware of the cold-start "hiss" that goes away after a few seconds.

however, if I leave nothing playing, the headphone out has random spurts of hisses. Hisses for a second, stops for 3 seconds, hisses for another split second, stops, etc, and repeats for hours.

Even with wifi turned off, it does this. Not that worried about it but seems strange to me that a $1200 hi-fi device like this has interference or some glitchiness like that interfereing with the black background when nothing is playing. Wondering if this would come out through line-out mode if I hooked it up to my living room stereo/amp.
I experience the same hissing when the player is stopped.

May 22, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #13,881 of 14,755

I am using XBA-Z5 IEM with the ZX2. No hissing at all. Testing it actually while typing this. Paused the music, stopped the music, closed the apps, etc. Zero hissing. Dead quiet.

Using it mainly in airplane mode (all wireless/BT/NFC off). No hissing heard as well when using my Sennheiser cheap low range headphones (wired and wireless).

Maybe my IEM/Headphone not sensitive enough? Or my hearing is going bad....

Is your ZX2 brand new or used?

Let me know your procedure of operating your ZX2, so that I can test with mine to see if it is a common issue/feature?

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #13,882 of 14,755
I am using XBA-Z5 IEM with the ZX2. No hissing at all. Testing it actually while typing this. Paused the music, stopped the music, closed the apps, etc. Zero hissing. Dead quiet.

Using it mainly in airplane mode (all wireless/BT/NFC off). No hissing heard as well when using my Sennheiser cheap low range headphones (wired and wireless).

Maybe my IEM/Headphone not sensitive enough? Or my hearing is going bad....

Let me know your procedure of operating your ZX2, so that I can test with mine to see if it is a common issue/feature?

I am also pairing the zx2 with z5 and it is dead silent when not playing. However, tried it with a friend's noble 4 and boy the noise floor is very evident just by plugging that iem. I guess it all depends on iem you are pairing it with.

May 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #13,883 of 14,755
I am also pairing the zx2 with z5 and it is dead silent when not playing.....

Aha.... Good choice of the IEM! I have been enjoying it with the combination of the ZX2, the Sony Upgrade Cable (terminated to 3.5mm TRRS)! Was having the X5III for more than 1-week comparing them daily and still find the ZX2 much better in sound quality to my preference of music. So ended up selling the X5III yesterday.

Another good accessory for ZX2 user will be the original flip case (vs Cruzerlite or the standard black case). Really useful and provides an ease of use (flip the case cover and see the screen) and it has magnetic closure to keep it closed. Provides better protection than the standard leather case and lower the chance of dropping the ZX2 when trying to take it out from the case.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #13,884 of 14,755

Whoa, weird. Thanks for letting me know . Mine is used - strangely, mine is a US model as far as I can tell, but the firmware version is currently at 1.00.0001. It seems like most people here with US models are at 1.00.0009? I check for updates and it says mine is the latest... hmm. Might have to root this and muck around in build.prop to see what's going on.

I experience the same hissing when the player is stopped.

@Richter Di , just out of curiosity, what firmware version is your unit on?

May 24, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #13,885 of 14,755
Whoa, weird. Thanks for letting me know . Mine is used - strangely, mine is a US model as far as I can tell, but the firmware version is currently at 1.00.0001. It seems like most people here with US models are at 1.00.0009? I check for updates and it says mine is the latest... hmm. Might have to root this and muck around in build.prop to see what's going on.

Mine is Asia version, firmware is also 1.00.0009. What IEM are you using with your ZX2?

May 24, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #13,886 of 14,755
Mine is Asia version, firmware is also 1.00.0009. What IEM are you using with your ZX2?

ah thanks! strange that I am on .0001, wonder what the changes were? wish i could get the jp 1.01 fw on..

I was mostly using the zx2's with my senn ie8's and ortofon eq8's; but just got my hands on the audeze isine 20's over the weekend and have been enjoying those. experiencing the stopping/starting hiss on all of them sadly!

May 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #13,888 of 14,755
Android 4.2.2
Kernel-Version 3.0.31
Build Nummer 1.00.0003

Whoa, that's a new one. US version? Or Euro?

Puzzled that there are so many fw versions floating around out there, yet when I check "system udpate" there's nothing. Pretty sure I'm on the oldest one around at 1.00.0001...

May 25, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #13,890 of 14,755

Users who are viewing this thread

Back