SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #12,676 of 14,755
So following a brief break from hi fi purchasing (I thought I'd found my end game with AK120 mezzo mod + Ray Samuels F22 lightning balanced amp) I got suckered back in with the promise of a single box solution and better battery life. :D

I managed to pick up a pristine 3 month old Japanese ZX2 on ebay for £725, so I'm hugely chuffed about that.

I was wondering if there was any way to tell how many hours were already on the device? The seller said there were less than 100, but I'd love to know if the sound sig is still expected to change.

I'm also curious to know what people's favourite pairings are with the ZX2 right now? I'm currently rocking some Tralucent 1plus2's and a Toxic Silver Widow cable, however I'm still waiting to get it re-terminated to an angled TRRS. My set up sounds great, but obsessive that I am, I know it can sound better.

Final question is about players. As suggested I have disabled the Sony audio adjustment app, therefore I was wondering if there was still value to using the stock Sony player? If the device is now playing music cleanly and unaffected, I presume the player is now irrelevant? What's everyone else using?

Cheers all
Stock player with Beyer t5p. Superb!

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #12,677 of 14,755
Stock player with Beyer t5p. Superb!

​Cool. Thanks dcfac73. I'm more of a IEM guy when out and about, but when at home I usually rely on my trusty HD650s. I'd certainly be very interested in hearing the t5ps though, especially if they're a great pairing.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #12,678 of 14,755
Stock player and JH13 or Signature Pro, both with trrs. Very happy

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #12,679 of 14,755
Stock player and JH13 or Signature Pro, both with trrs. Very happy

Nice :D

So anyone have a clue if there's a way to tell how many hours have been racked up so far?

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #12,683 of 14,755
guys , if you want to say to what iems you are using , please pm @CraftyClown

no point in seeing the next 100 posts saying 'i use this iem and it sounds great' , it's annoying spam

cheers

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #12,684 of 14,755
I would think there's some extra glue in there as well so they will never come loose.
But I don't understand how this is logically possible that the stickers improve the audio, but maybe the stickers are like woman, and don't need logic either.
lol
Give the Solar's a couple of hundred hours to burn in, and they really open up, you will be shocked at the difference. IMO
I also love the clear bass up around 6 to 8 for great bass impact (but I'm a bass loving person)

Electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called radio-frequency interference (RFI) when in the radio frequency spectrum, is a disturbance generated by an external source that affects an electrical circuit by electromagnetic induction, electrostatic coupling, or conduction.[1] The disturbance may degrade the performance of the circuit or even stop it from functioning. In the case of a data path, these effects can range from an increase in error rate to a total loss of the data.[2] Both man-made and natural sources generate changing electrical currents and voltages that can cause EMI: automobile ignition systems, cell phones, thunder storms, the Sun, and the Northern Lights. EMI frequently affects AM radios. It can also affect cell phones, FM radios, and televisions.

EMI can be used intentionally for radio jamming, as in electronic warfare.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #12,685 of 14,755
Final question is about players. As suggested I have disabled the Sony audio adjustment app, therefore I was wondering if there was still value to using the stock Sony player? If the device is now playing music cleanly and unaffected, I presume the player is now irrelevant? What's everyone else using?

Cheers all

I believe the general consensus was that the stock payer (even with the audio enhancement app disabled) still had access to all the various hardware nooks and crannies, whereas other third party apps do not. Thus, the stock app should end up sounding best.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #12,686 of 14,755
I believe the general consensus was that the stock payer (even with the audio enhancement app disabled) still had access to all the various hardware nooks and crannies, whereas other third party apps do not. Thus, the stock app should end up sounding best.

Yes, that is correct. Even though some other apps do sound slightly different, but stock app has total control of Zx2. It is the only app that can play high-res digitally to external devices :D

It comes down to preferences, and if you prefer Sony and it utmost quality ? Disable the sound adjustment app, and use stock player

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #12,687 of 14,755
anyone here owning both ZX2 and Cowon P1 , can perhaps give a sonic comparison/impressions ?

if i have ZX2 , is P1 worth getting as well ?

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #12,688 of 14,755
Electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called radio-frequency interference (RFI) when in the radio frequency spectrum, is a disturbance generated by an external source that affects an electrical circuit by electromagnetic induction, electrostatic coupling, or conduction.[1] The disturbance may degrade the performance of the circuit or even stop it from functioning. In the case of a data path, these effects can range from an increase in error rate to a total loss of the data.[2] Both man-made and natural sources generate changing electrical currents and voltages that can cause EMI: automobile ignition systems, cell phones, thunder storms, the Sun, and the Northern Lights. EMI frequently affects AM radios. It can also affect cell phones, FM radios, and televisions.

EMI can be used intentionally for radio jamming, as in electronic warfare.

Ok I understand what rfi/emi is, I still think that those stickers would do much cosmetic changes, than proposed electrical changes to the audio.
I guess anything is possible however, and I haven't done any comparisons with the rf blocking stickers, and without, so I don't know. I am skeptical about the changes tho.

Thanks for the information. It would be nice to see the changes measured, I don't think that will be possible or measurable.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #12,689 of 14,755
I installed the new 256 GB Samsung card in my ZX2 last night.

It works, and the time to open the stock player is the same. So, no performance issues. Nothing any more laggy than usual.

The actual storage size is around 238 GB.

I had to wait two and a half weeks for delivery, even though I paid for overnight. There is a backlog of orders, Sony said. It cost $200. Expensive, but I went a month without being able to add music and so I went for it. For those who can wait, another brand is to sell one in October for $150.

I had the usual problem of some albums not displaying album art. I stayed up late adding the art. All but one album now has art.

To fix album art on five albums, I had to use Finder on my iMac access to the songs on my ZX2 and delete from there. I then dragged and dropped from another Finder back onto my ZX2. All album art fixed now except one album.

One problem is that for the five albums that had been missing album art, I was able to add the art and get it to display for songs opened from my one big playlist, but then the fixed songs and the old ones both display in album view. I do not have any music in internal storage, and so that is not the problem. Also, in Finder on my iMac the songs are only listed one time, not twice, and so I cannot fix the doubled display of songs from the Finder. Anyone know how to fix this for folks using Macs?

I use Export for iTunes to sync my 3,135 song playlist to my ZX2. It took 4.5 hours last night initially for the 185 GBs of music I have to transfer via USB to the new card in my ZX2. New syncs take 25 minutes via Export for iTunes, an app available from the Appstore for Macs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back