SONY NW-ZX2
May 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #11,506 of 14,755
I did an a/b with PH3 and HUGO a while back and found the HUGO to be substantially better.  I find it very hard to believe the mojo is also not better.  Best bet is to demo for yourself and pick the one you like.  

May 5, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #11,507 of 14,755
I did an a/b with PH3 and HUGO a while back and found the HUGO to be substantially better.  I find it very hard to believe the mojo is also not better.  Best bet is to demo for yourself and pick the one you like.  

Do you imply that Mojo is at Hugo level ? Anyways, I agree with testing it out before buying. To my ears, the Mojo lacks that soundstage and the nuances extensions. But to each of his own. Whenever I speak of PHA-3, please take that I am talking about a Balanced connection out of PHA-3 and not single ended.

May 5, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #11,508 of 14,755
Do you imply that Mojo is at Hugo level ?

He wouldn't be the first person to do so. As you know, at this level of sound reproduction quality it is more preference than technical difference. I don't care what anybody says or thinks, nobody hears tiny differences in distortion, jitter etc, and when we start looking at most of these devices that are well designed and with proper hardware, the differences in key statistics are simply measureable and so unlikely to be audible that it isn't funny. It is sound signature preference not technicalities people respond to in such cases so it is entirely possible some people prefer the Mojo. There is even talk that the humble iFi iDSD Micro can hold it's own against the Hugo.

May 5, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #11,509 of 14,755
The Hugo and Mojo are different but equal.  I own both.  The Hugo offers greater transparency.  The Mojo is warmer and arguably more natural.  With my KSE I prefer the mojo. With other gear I prefer the HUGO.  That is why I own both.  Picking a winner from head fi posts is like magazine racing cars.   It doesn't quite give you all the information that a live audition does.  Also, there is something to be said about system synergy.  I have been in the 2 channel world for years.  I have seen people buy top shelf gear that has no synergy.  On the other hand, I have seen lower tier gear sound amazing when thoughtfully paired.  Bottom line, use your ears and your own gear and then make your mind up.

Forgot to mention- Another option to consider is the Ray Samuels Line of portable amps.  Built like tanks with unbelievable warranty support.  I used to own the intruder for my old SE846 and W60s.  I used the balanced output and it really elevated those phones.  It was incredibly clean and powerful (could drive sensitive IEMs and many of the most difficult to drive headphones).

May 5, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #11,510 of 14,755

Forgot to mention- Another option to consider is the Ray Samuels Line of portable amps.  Built like tanks with unbelievable warranty support.  I used to own the intruder for my old SE846 and W60s.  I used the balanced output and it really elevated those phones.  It was incredibly clean and powerful (could drive sensitive IEMs and many of the most difficult to drive headphones).

Good feedback, and I quoted the above as I find it striking that we don't hear as much about his products in recent years. When I first started lurking in 2008/9 it seemed his gear was getting a lot more attention. Maybe I'm just in the wrong threads as I don't hear much mention of his gear nowadays. I also assume that as the hobby has gotten more popular a great deal more competition has come into play so I suppose that alone might explain things.

May 6, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #11,511 of 14,755
Ok noob question. With all this talk of amps I was wondering if someone can explain to me in laymans terms what more can MOJO bring to the table apart from what the zx2 already does for easily driveable iems? I am using ie80 and they sound phenomenal with the zx2. But as always the hunger to hear more has piqued my interest in pairing it with a mojo as well.

May 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #11,512 of 14,755
  Ok noob question. With all this talk of amps I was wondering if someone can explain to me in laymans terms what more can MOJO bring to the table apart from what the zx2 already does for easily driveable iems? I am using ie80 and they sound phenomenal with the zx2. But as always the hunger to hear more has piqued my interest in pairing it with a mojo as well.

maybe it's better to buy a new , better TOTL iem 
rolleyes.gif

May 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #11,514 of 14,755

It will bring a new sound signature, but that should be it. If you feel it is driving your IE80 well enough there may be no benefit at all, you may even end up not liking the Mojo's signature (although I doubt that as it seems to be universally well liked).

May 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #11,515 of 14,755
I have conducted a bit of an expensive and hard work experiments. I concluded that the Zx2 is an excellent transport if you use it with the correct accessory (Only). It also explains why the Zx2 spend it battery like crazy when being a transport. It is because Zx2 spends a lot of it prowess to cater toward the DC signals to not only preserve the best of the Digital signals, but also give it the best quality it needs. The worse thing is that the Zx2 needs both parts to have you witness the best of it quality. It accessory.

1/ Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output. It has quality capacitors, resistors, and a huge processor chip on the inside. Quality shielding....etc....etc. When using this cables, there is a huge step up away from the cheap OTG cables from PHA-3 packaging or 3rd party cables of similar kind

The real deal

The trash PHA-3 cables for Walkman, and it similar low quality OTG for Walkman to digital.

Now, you ask how should you know ? First, buy authentic Sony cables as I said above. Second, the different is most seen in the size of the cables. The low quality has no inner stuffing, where as the Sony high-res has a sophisticated inner boarding. Picture from another member compare to the smaller one

To have the best quality of transporting from Zx2, you will have to modify the stock cables, and there was one member who posted it here before as well. At first look, you may think it is BS. But it is not.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/10890#post_12400249

I did an extensive testing and criticle listening between the PHA-3 cables and this cables. There were a huge different in "inner fidelity" and "soundstage" just to name the most 2 obvious improvements. There are more weighty, impact within a tonal body of beats and plays. The vividly representing rhymes of the instruments and it energies. The bad thing is that it only has Female USB end. It also has cheap copper wires inside. Therefore, I modified my cables. Let's talk about it later.

2/ The next accessory that you would want for Zx2 as a transport will have to be the dock. BCR-NWH10

It allow you to transport quality high resolution digital signals into your DAC/amp. It also allow charging while docking and feeding external devices, so your Zx2 is always charged. You wonder why ? Here is a shot of the inside. Yes, by using these 2 accessory. You can get the best digital feeding on the go, or the best desktop digital feeding. There are no argues about this. It is just pure facts that me and a reputable member had witnessed it.

****Now, the glorified/modified**** cables. This is only a prototype. I used large AWG Solid pure quality silver for wires. Quality shielding to resist interferences, and output toward Micro-USB port. I am very happy with the result, and will be making another improved version soon.

Why do modifications ? Because we need the micro USB end, then we want to upgrade the cables for even better quality. Why not ? Beside, to make sure the inner stuffing is authentic, there is only one way....to buy authentic cables and modify it.

So far, all I can say is that Digital signals do need special cares given to have quality music as a part of the chain, and whoever think digital do not get negative affects is wrong. Example of flours and sugar to make cookies. You have bad cookies if flours and sugars are bad, you have best cookies if flours and sugars are the best. Now, imagines your Digital signals being Flours and sugar....then the chief who make cookies is your DAC....and your cookies is the final Analouges quality to output the music to your ears.

Therefore I am very happy with my improved and modified cables. I thought I would want to share with anyone who want to know more. You can disregard it if you don't want to believe it.

Now, if you want to ask more questions ? It would be why did I say Zx2 is one of the best transport ? Again, only Zx2 would bring special catering toward digital signals out at this level....a stand alone DAP that lasts for 18 hours or more....but digitally transport and it got reduced to 10 hours or so. It was also specially designed for Sony own accessory, and the best quality can only come off this combination. Would a smartphone be good for transporting ? Of course, and why not ? But portably speaking, for the best quality ? It gotta be the Sony newest gadgets and technologies.
Just for the sake of defense and standing behind my work, the last cable picture of the digital sony cable (below the lunashops one) is mine I posted the picture to not only show the internals of that cable but to also show why its needed and why you DONT want to buy the other cables that are not utilizing this! Its not fun surgically removing the end of that cable and then returning it to proper factory looking appearance but thats what is done with every one I make and adds to why the cost is what it is, before i even start building my version if the cable a $30usd sony cable must be cut apart and destroyed only to use just yhat one end! So in the end I think whitigir is giving me credit but I really dont want to be added into the group of trash ebay/ amazon otg cables!

i spent quite a bit of time and materials to come up with my end result and even now offer different cable types with it. Unlike analog signals, digital signals i feel are a different beast and Although some good can be had from exotic wire ive never found it to any where enough to use it inplace of a good quality spc wire like I currently use in the build of them! These are not some just cut, splice , glue or putty hack job but a start to finsh bespoke cable that i stand behind and I hope the those that own one can say the same!

Thanks guys! Feel free to pm me if you want any info on it a or have other questions!

May 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #11,516 of 14,755
I was using my ZX2 as a transport. For some reason it does not recognize my BMC DAC but does recognize the Fostex HP-A8. I tried a few music player apps  and the BMC DAC is not supported. Only music player that supports the BMC is the USB Player PRO but unfortunately it is not compatible with the Sony.

Any suggestions? 

May 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #11,517 of 14,755
Just for the sake of defense and standing behind my work, the last cable picture of the digital sony cable (below the lunashops one) is mine I posted the picture to not only show the internals of that cable but to also show why its needed and why you DONT want to buy the other cables that are not utilizing this! Its not fun surgically removing the end of that cable and then returning it to proper factory looking appearance but thats what is done with every one I make and adds to why the cost is what it is, before i even start building my version if the cable a $30usd sony cable must be cut apart and destroyed only to use just yhat one end! So in the end I think whitigir is giving me credit but I really dont want to be added into the group of trash ebay/ amazon otg cables!

i spent quite a bit of time and materials to come up with my end result and even now offer different cable types with it. Unlike analog signals, digital signals i feel are a different beast and Although some good can be had from exotic wire ive never found it to any where enough to use it inplace of a good quality spc wire like I currently use in the build of them! These are not some just cut, splice , glue or putty hack job but a start to finsh bespoke cable that i stand behind and I hope the those that own one can say the same!

Thanks guys! Feel free to pm me if you want any info on it a or have other questions!

I am glad you claim your picture , and glad to have know you. Specially for your picture that shown the inner components that I went on ahead to find the important of digital cables and it quality. Absolutely modified cables from Sony accessory is ways different than those trash off eBay and Amazon stuff. I agree that the process is not just simply splicing and doing, it is hell lot of work.

I made one for myself and I love it

May 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #11,518 of 14,755
I mostly agree with you mate, unless you need to drive less efficient headphones, and or like louder music playback. That is the only thing that ever stopped me from getting the ZX2. Now I know for many people that isn't an issue at all and experienced users that I trust really love the ZX2 so I have no doubt that as a sound signature it is amazing.
That's what I hate about forums. You don't own a ZX2 but have the balls to comment repeatedly how the ZX2 is not the best DAP available in all respects and other members praise your knowledge and input. If you want to comment, positively or negatively about a product, buy it, and then you can give your opinion. You may have tons of experience and be an expert,but you don't own the product so you shouldn't have an opinion about it let alone try to influence others one way or the other.

May 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #11,519 of 14,755
That's what I hate about forums. You don't own a ZX2 but have the balls to comment repeatedly how the ZX2 is not the best DAP available in all respects and other members praise your knowledge and input. If you want to comment, positively or negatively about a product, buy it, and then you can give your opinion. You may have tons of experience and be an expert,but you don't own the product so you shouldn't have an opinion about it let alone try to influence others one way or the other.

What I hate about forums are the self-appointed policemen who believe they have some right to dictate the terms upon which others can or cannot express their opinion.

The experience of those who have researched a product well and chosen not to own it is at least as valid as that of owners of the product, some of whom will be unwilling to acknowledge its weaknesses.

May 7, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #11,520 of 14,755
cool it guys , we are all here because of our mutual love for music , right ?

every  opinion is respected , as long as it does not hide personal interests of self-earning from other people 

the only kind of people whose opinion i do not respect here are the ass-kissing fanboys and the company people who will bend the truth and sweet talk to potential customers in an attempt to lure them towards their companies' products 

fortunately , they are a few and i have learned to ignore their posts/remarks/opinion

let's chill now and get back to talking about zx2

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back