SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 20, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #10,246 of 14,755
Hi, I'm using an ifi micro idsd with and iPhone 6s+ to my Grado headphones. I play mostly classic rock and I have some DSD files too.
How does the sound quality of the ZX2 compares to my set up?
Sound quality being most important.
Thanks

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #10,247 of 14,755
I just realized I've been completely stupid for the last week or so, I had my W 60's hooked up out of phase (Was cord swapping too eagerly and problably hooked them up wrong by accident). I guess that would explain why I was looking for other options player wise, I couldn't figure out why I was unhappy with the sound I was getting 
blink.gif

After correcting the issue I've revisted the stock player and did some serious A/Bing with Poweramp Alpha, While I still like Poweramp very much, I think the stock player has the edge sound wise, vocals are much more natural sounding, I would say the soundstage is deeper as well, there's also a general warmth with the sound of the stock player. The overall tonality was just more alive. 

I found Poweramp's soundstage to be a bit wider, but I also found the sound to be more technical sounding, lacking the mid bass warmth of the stock player. This can actually be a good thing for over produced Pop Music. You can lessen the boom of "in the red" production. The vocals are what made me come back to the stock player though, I felt power amp to be a little dry in that department, I guess it depends on what you're looking for in terms of sound production.

If I were to simplify it I'd say:

Stock Player = Warmer Tube like sound (Feel the Music)
Poweramp Alpha = Technical Solid State like sound (Think about the Music)

Both are great but sony keeps surprising me with their attention to detail on this unit. How great is it that we have to option to be neurotic and try third party players? :wink:

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #10,248 of 14,755
  I just realized I've been completely stupid for the last week or so, I had my W 60's hooked up out of phase (Was cord swapping too eagerly and problably hooked them up wrong by accident). I guess that would explain why I was looking for other options player wise, I couldn't figure out why I was unhappy with the sound I was getting 
blink.gif

After correcting the issue I've revisted the stock player and did some serious A/Bing with Poweramp Alpha, While I still like Poweramp very much, I think the stock player has the edge sound wise, vocals are much more natural sounding, I would say the soundstage is deeper as well, there's also a general warmth with the sound of the stock player. The overall tonality was just more alive. 

I found Poweramp's soundstage to be a bit wider, but I also found the sound to be more technical sounding, lacking the mid bass warmth of the stock player. This can actually be a good thing for over produced Pop Music. You can lessen the boom of "in the red" production. The vocals are what made me come back to the stock player though, I felt power amp to be a little dry in that department, I guess it depends on what you're looking for in terms of sound production.

If I were to simplify it I'd say:

Stock Player = Warmer Tube like sound (Feel the Music)
Poweramp Alpha = Technical Solid State like sound (Think about the Music)

Both are great but sony keeps surprising me with their attention to detail on this unit. How great is it that we have to option to be neurotic and try third party players? :wink:

Neurotic-Fi should really be the name of this website given how much ppl obsess about trivial things here. 3rd party apps, burn in,cables, connectors.....lmao.... OCD Central

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #10,250 of 14,755

Neurotic-Fi should really be the name of this website given how much ppl obsess about trivial things here. 3rd party apps, burn in,cables, connectors.....lmao.... OCD Central

Trivial? lol.The trrs connection alone can make the difference of someone selling or keeping the ZX2 provided he has transparent enough iems to hear the difference.After buying the silver trrs plug for se846 it's like the resolution went from 1080p to 4k,along with greater dynamics,smoother transients and much cleaner backround.The cable is still burning in after buying yesterday,the bass was too intense at first 2 hours i had to keep clear bass at neutral.After 15 hours back to +2 since it's much tighter.Another 120 hours to go.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #10,251 of 14,755
  Trivial? lol.The trrs connection alone can make the difference of someone selling or keeping the ZX2 provided he has transparent enough iems to hear the difference.After buying the silver trrs plug for se846 it's like the resolution went from 1080p to 4k,along with greater dynamics,smoother transients and much cleaner backround.The cable is still burning in after buying yesterday,the bass was too intense at first 2 hours i had to keep clear bass at neutral.After 15 hours back to +2 since it's much tighter.Another 120 hours to go.

I stopped reading after " The cable is still burning in "

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #10,253 of 14,755
  Good.Now back to your hole.

Awww....there there...did I hurt your precious feelings? Why don't you go burn in other cables some more, otherwise the bass won't be as tight as it should be 
etysmile.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #10,257 of 14,755

good to hear , so i guess you will be staying with us here for a little longer ? 
tongue.gif

i have zero dap-upgraditis , which makes zx2 a good dap in my mind - iems though this is another completely different issue 
eek.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #10,258 of 14,755
Yup.Anyone buying a used ZX2 for $700-$800 and adding trrs can be looking for potentially end dap with the right iem and synergy.This thing is more detailed and transparend   than Cayin N6 which is competing with Fiio X7 for sound.Not the case before trrs.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #10,259 of 14,755
  Yup.Anyone buying a used ZX2 for $700-$800 and adding trrs can be looking for potentially end dap with the right iem and synergy.This thing is more detailed and transparend   than Cayin N6 which is competing with Fiio X7 for sound.Not the case before trrs.

this post will make @Whitigir  come out of his hole , the way Jaws came out when he smelled blood 
tongue.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #10,260 of 14,755
this post will make @Whitigir
  come out of his hole , the way Jaws came out when he smelled blood :p

Lol! I agreed with the enough transparency and revealing gears then you can hear the differences. It doesn't need bats ears or ultrasound receptors to hear the differences. These developers and engineers are like us, only that they have more access to much better and expensive gears in a different ways than us. But the things when they "confirmed" and somebody want to be ignorant about it ? Let them be. TRRS connection on Zx2 is a real improvements, and then the best cables materials will bring about much better.

Cables materials wise ? There is a lot of snake oils out there, and from all the fancy design, jackets, marketing, wording, advertising....etc....I am a DIY folk, so as long as I can source the cables of different materials myself ? I don't need anyone to make the cables for me. So what I had found is no "snake oils". I spent ways too much time, and critical listening, inspections....etc on it. Honestly, I don't even have bat ears, only my love, experiences, time I spent on my music collection that I know too well. It is like you are on the same route to work and back home for more than 10 years, then every changes you will notice immediately without having to analyze it.

I am glad Cayurin love it, I have seen him being skeptical before, but to have you joining what I have found and confirm the results is more than enough :D. After all, some of us really know what we are "hearing", some....don't really know, and when they don't know ? Every explainations became useless, just like me hearing my wife explaining on why she is obsessed with purses and shoes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back