SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #10,186 of 14,755
so , what happens when the trial period for the alpha version of poweramp ends , do we just go and buy it from the poweramp site or do we just re-install the trial version ?

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #10,189 of 14,755
And both need to be installed, I don't use poweramp with my ZX2 "tried it, did not sound right", but I do use it on my smartphone.

I am referring to the Alpha version not the version at the play store.
Just incase you haven't tried the Alpha version. Its wortha listen, and if you don't have the app installed, how you going to open it? LoL:sunglasses:

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #10,190 of 14,755
I'm sticking with the stock player (with disabled sound enhancements). For me, it sounds better, refined and natural than the jetaudio plus (with am3d), onkyo, gonemad and poweramp alpha version.

EDIT:
Included the "alpha version" from my original post

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #10,191 of 14,755
Obviously none of the above apps are replacing stock player which i agree sounds the  most natural.The apps are to give different flavor,some have more engaging treble.other implement setting to widen perceived soundstage and for the money of 6-7 euro it's a good choice to have one more player on ZX2.Having too many will reduce battery even when not playing,as it is additional load on cpu.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #10,192 of 14,755
To clarify, Poweramp Alpha is different than Poweramp and is the version currently not available on App Store....only on the link I posted earlier by direct download and installation only

The "Poweramp" currently can be downloaded, and is on the Google store is the older version , which is "not good"

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #10,193 of 14,755
To clarify, Poweramp Alpha is different than Poweramp and is the version currently not available on App Store....only on the link I posted earlier by direct download and installation only

The "Poweramp" currently can be downloaded, and is on the Google store is the older version , which is "not good"

I agree, I tried the version from the google play store and didn't like it at all, the Alpha is another story, way better. For me it solved a lot of issues with clarity and soundstage. The stock player is good, don't get me wrong, I just like how the Alpha resolves the music, less "syrupy" than the stock player, tighter with a little more open soundstage.

There's also the added bonus of custom sorting options, the ability to download album art directly to your library and the ability to edit tags directly on your device. Way less hassle than tagging the files back and forth through the computer. 

Last but not least I love the option to force the sound to Mono, I can't stand hard panning from the 60's when I'm wearing headphones. I have to say I'm loving this option.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #10,194 of 14,755

I tried both jetaudio and power amp apps. I found (and heard) distortions coming from jetaudio (plus  AM3D plugin), after a few listening sessions I could not find a reason to keep it. 

Power amp (ALFA v3) is a different story. To me (with Angie) it sounds different than other apps I heard (gonemad, jetaudio). I did not see this mentioned in this thread (feel free to correct me if I am wrong), but this app PLAYS DSD FILES. Others (except Onkyo and Sony) do not.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #10,195 of 14,755
  I'm sticking with the stock player (with disabled sound enhancements). For me, it sounds better, refined and natural than the jetaudio plus (with am3d), onkyo, gonemad and poweramp alpha version.

EDIT:

Obviously none of the above apps are replacing stock player which i agree sounds the  most natural.The apps are to give different flavor,some have more engaging treble.other implement setting to widen perceived soundstage and for the money of 6-7 euro it's a good choice to have one more player on ZX2.Having too many will reduce battery even when not playing,as it is additional load on cpu.

I agree .. The stock player sounds so good . I guess it all comes down to synergy .. With K10s especially stock player sounds more natural and airy.  I just turned on DSEE HX again and with K10 it is sounding real good. I had to turned it off for my ES5 as it sounded artificial. I have power amp paid version and did try the alpha as well .. It does increase the soundstage and adds width but personally it doesn't sound natural either with ES5 or K10. 

Again my guess is stock player is doing something at HW level where most of these players are SW based.. But thanks to @Whitigir for his continued passion for finding the best tools for ZX2 it keeps us all on our toes.. Great job and i really appreciate that you try all of these before posting your opinions.. I know that is a lot of work 

Thanks
PC

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #10,196 of 14,755
Stock app is serving me well. I'm not going to waste time and money for trying out other apps.
Moreover Sony did their best in integrating their software into android environment.
Also those who are experimenting with the apps and liking other apps is because they are using full sized headphones.
I am a heavy iem user and this Walkman pairs well with Sonys own iems like EX600 and above models.
Even with the MDR-1R is sounds good but not better than Fostex TH-X00. But that's another topic.
I hope my ZX2 lasts at least 3 years as I am going to hold off on all purchases as the new digital connections for headphones is worrying me and may make all my gear "worthless"

EDIT:

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #10,197 of 14,755
Stock app is serving me well. I'm not going to waste time and money for trying out other apps.
Moreover Sony did their best in integrating their software into android environment.
Also those who are experimenting with the apps and liking other apps is because they are using full sized headphones.
I am a heavy iem user and this Walkman pairs well with Sonys own iems like EX600 and above models.
Even with the MDR-1R is sounds good but not better than Fostex TH-X00. But that's another topic.
I hope my ZX2 lasts at least 3 years as I am going to hold off on all purchases as the new digital connections for headphones is worrying me and may make all my gear "worthless"

I'm using Westone W60 IEM's with the poweramp Alpha and loving it. The westone' are known to be a little too smooth so that could be why I'm enjoying the added sharpness of the app. I'm sure the stock app pairs beautifully with other headphones though, it's still a great app, just a different "flavour"

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #10,198 of 14,755
How much volume do you need on the ZX2 for listening pleasure?
I'm using Westone W60 IEM's with the poweramp Alpha and loving it. The westone' are known to be a little too smooth so that could be why I'm enjoying the added sharpness of the app. I'm sure the stock app pairs beautifully with other headphones though, it's still a great app, just a different "flavour"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back