SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 16, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #7,021 of 14,755

i check apps but i can not find anything controlling volume ???? other than one opens clearaudio+ etc.

From some of these shops in hong kong that sell headphones, they say you have to turn down the volume, disable or turn off all EQ and sound effect, then turn on airplane mode.

once you reset or switch off the ZX2, it will revert back to normal.

Hope this helps.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #7,023 of 14,755
Don't know if this volume boost old trick works on the EUR model,  JP / Asia model can do this if you wanna feed some power hungry babies with ZX2, but you will not able to do any EQ/ sound effects with this app turned off.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/1890#post_11358720

I think ZX2 still best matched with Z5. Z7 better goes with PHA3 in balanced mode :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #7,024 of 14,755
  1. turn down volume
2.turn off eq- sound effect
3.airplane mode
then no more sound cap right? 
or
4.turn off the zx2
then no more sound cap
thank you very much

turning off or reset the ZX2 will have the sound cap back.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #7,025 of 14,755
oh boy so its official then that the european version has a cap volume, which sucks as i am sure turkey gets their sony products from europe 

dam as i would not like to buy one that has volume cap

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #7,026 of 14,755
there is a 1300 usd deal of zx2+z7 ( which i bought )in Turkey. Sony Turkey gave us a great deal for the firs time in history.  i did not find z7 as a good match for zx2. maybe european cap is a factor. i am considering an easy to drive iem, i am using 535 but considering k-10,846 or z5. i have to read little more to find the better " value " one. this is my first post by the way :)

I had tried Shure 846 & Aurisonics Harmony on my ZX2, I can say they are not matching pairs, the sound reproduced are way far behind to that paired with Z5. I also tried the Camfire Audio Lyra on my ZX2, this dynamic iem pairs quite well with it.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #7,028 of 14,755
  thank you - z5 is the iem then :) 
there are couple app called walkman.sonyeula... and walkman.sonyvolumect.... i cannot get the full names... can they be the volume cap apps? 

Looks like EUR version have different apps running, but the apps name may already give the hints?  

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #7,029 of 14,755
Don't know if this volume boost old trick works on the EUR model,  JP / Asia model can do this if you wanna feed some power hungry babies with ZX2, but you will not able to do any EQ/ sound effects with this app turned off.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/1890#post_11358720

I think ZX2 still best matched with Z5. Z7 better goes with PHA3 in balanced mode :)

Pha 3 is an excellent portable Amp with more than enough capability to do a lot of high-end audio stuff. But I can not stretch that enough, the PHA 3 is built with internal DAC which some people prefer calling them Analog amp. The ZX2 is utilizing simple but rely heavily on design, shielding, circuitry components....etc and Sony design it own Class D amp. They call it the S-Master HX (people call them direct digital ? Or simply class D). So the things here is that

1/ ZX2 Aux out and connect to PHA-3 as analog connection, the Amping will come from PHA3, and the PHA-3 circuitry and design will more or less effecting the original analog from ZX2. More than a few people reporting that the Z7 will has thinner sound this way. Some even report better and wider soundstage with balanced connection, which is true as balanced will always have that effect. The ZX2 do also has balanced out, but I doubt any others had tested it yet.....in a sense, to compare between balanced and vs regular output.....the differences will always present, and it always is not the proof that the Z7 was badly driven by ZX2 or better driven by PHA3

2/ ZX2 digital out to PHA3 will be all 110001001 (digital) and only act as a transportation, in which case even a smartphone can do the same. Some may argue that smartphone as a transport will have more noise and distortion, but in reality, the PHA-3 is more than capable at clocking, filters them out and make it sounds wonderful just as ZX2 as a transport.

While I have not personally experience the PHA-3 and Z7 to compare, I still am very interested at how different they sound. If anybody can share the experiences in details, it would be wonderful.

The one thing I am so sure that Z7 can fully be driven by ZX2 alone just based on 2 facts.

1/ I amped it with Yamaha RXV477 via Aux....and it just sound thinner in tonality, but similarly as loud. That was to call it a simple comparison. If it was much better amped rather than straight outta ZX2, I would have returned it for sure.

2/ Z7 shows much, if not better details retrieval, soundstage, instruments housing than my IM-04 with upgraded cables.

All in all, to use ZX2 balanced output, I am awaiting my cables :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #7,032 of 14,755
you might be right but there on my ears at the moment, at max volume and still i can hear my wife calling me :) with lyr there were not even at 40% and they were like speakers... i will never buy another amp for zx2 ( specially with a dac, i don't see the point ) but a z5 maybe.....  the european sound cap is real... :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #7,033 of 14,755
If someone own mdr-1abt,

Can you share how is the pairing with the zx2, and how the ldac works as on paper it seems superior but in reality how it works ?

Its very tempting for an under 300$ bluetooth headphone.

so is it worth it for 300$ against wired headphones under same budget ?

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #7,034 of 14,755
If someone own mdr-1abt,

Can you share how is the pairing with the zx2, and how the ldac works as on paper it seems superior but in reality how it works ?

Its very tempting for an under 300$ bluetooth headphone.

so is it worth it for 300$ against wired headphones under same budget ?

I don't own 1Rbt, but allow me to chime in
Bluetooth headphones always has built in amp, and this is the one that produce sound to your ears. Since BT3.0, the speed is well good enough of quality, also regardless of what type of coding your devices are using. It will all come down to the one that decode it, your headphones built in amp.

The last thing I know is that ZX2 amp is superior in term of sound quality to the other products from Sony (except PHA-3 probably). So if you use it with 1R Bt, it will be a degrade. But if you use 1Rbt with smartphones like Z3+ it will be an upgrade.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #7,035 of 14,755
I don't own 1Rbt, but allow me to chime in
Bluetooth headphones always has built in amp, and this is the one that produce sound to your ears. Since BT3.0, the speed is well good enough of quality, also regardless of what type of coding your devices are using. It will all come down to the one that decode it, your headphones built in amp.

The last thing I know is that ZX2 amp is superior in term of sound quality to the other products from Sony (except PHA-3 probably). So if you use it with 1R Bt, it will be a degrade. But if you use 1Rbt with smartphones like Z3+ it will be an upgrade.

Thanks for the information,

So i searched a bit more into details,

And i read that the mdr-1abt uses s-master hx amp which i think is the same in the zx2 (if not a modified version, iam not sure)

Also the ldac feature which is supported by both zx2 and the headphone allow 3x transfer of data, meaning it can reach around 900 kbps of data against 300 kbps supported by normal protocol (meaning it should maintain 96khz/24bit without down converting to 44khz/16bit

Also it has a 3.5 connection if you wanna go wired.

sorry for the long post just wanted to share my findings.

if someone own it still i want to hear about the signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back