SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 30, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #14,566 of 14,755
Thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention that when talking about "official sony cable", it is the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable.

Thought it still not work. May be the usb A to usb micro cable does not work properly (may be not OTG and just for charging ?).

I'll try another cable but I tried a few already. Any adress link to buy a good one that works ?

Thanks !
I use my ZX2 with my PHA-2A via micro USB. It outputs digital. No reason it would not work with the Mojo. Maybe the cable is defective?

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #14,567 of 14,755
I use my ZX2 with my PHA-2A via micro USB. It outputs digital. No reason it would not work with the Mojo. Maybe the cable is defective?

i do the same with pha-2a and it works fine. When puting the same cable into the mojo, there is no sound

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #14,568 of 14,755
Thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention that when talking about "official sony cable", it is the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable.

Thought it still not work. May be the usb A to usb micro cable does not work properly (may be not OTG and just for charging ?).

I'll try another cable but I tried a few already. Any adress link to buy a good one that works ?

Thanks !
As far as I recall, it is the sequence on which you connect/turn on the play back device. I recall this being discussed much earlier in this thread. Had the same problems, but made it work eventually....So maybe turn on the mojo, plug in the zx2 or the opposite....should work although I didn’t have the mojo..good luck

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #14,569 of 14,755
Problem solved !

i tried several usb A - micro usb cable and i found one that works ! It was just this cable...

thanks everyone !

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #14,570 of 14,755
Problem solved !

i tried several usb A - micro usb cable and i found one that works ! It was just this cable...

thanks everyone !
Great! Glad it works now. Can you give us sound comparisons between your Mojo and your PHA-2A? Would love to know the difference as I'm planning to buy the Mojo. I have the PHA-2A. Thanks.

*Edited.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #14,571 of 14,755
oops, ninja'd

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #14,572 of 14,755
Great! Glad it works now. Can you give us sound comparisons between your Mojo and your PHA-2A? Would love to know the difference as I'm planning to buy the Mojo. I have the PHA-2A. Thanks.

*Edited.

Ok I will do that. Let me just a few days !

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #14,573 of 14,755
Nov 1, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #14,574 of 14,755
I found zx2 battery at aliexpress and amazon.jp. Not sure about the quality though.

I couldn't find any video for zx2 battery replacement but there're few for zx1 ( such as : ) assuming the assembly is simmillar. Anyone can confirm if internal assembly of zx1 & zx2 is simmillar?

I'm including used DAPs (used zx2 being one of it) as part of my option thus possibility of battery replacement is one thing to be considered, which is why I've done the research.

I have the ZX2 service manual, just have to find it.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #14,575 of 14,755
I found zx2 battery at aliexpress and amazon.jp. Not sure about the quality though.

I couldn't find any video for zx2 battery replacement but there're few for zx1 ( such as : ) assuming the assembly is simmillar. Anyone can confirm if internal assembly of zx1 & zx2 is simmillar?

I'm including used DAPs (used zx2 being one of it) as part of my option thus possibility of battery replacement is one thing to be considered, which is why I've done the research.

The battery can only be purchased and in house repaired through Sony, other parts can be purchased and repaired DIY. I have many parts for the ZX2, purchased from Sony Japan, just the battery they wont allow me to purchased.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #14,576 of 14,755
Thanks in advance.

Hi

I'm getting back to you. I've made a few listening tests (I'm not found of doing tests : just listening music) between the Mojo and the PHA-2A.
Both were plugged into a sony ZX2 DAP, via the WMC-NWH10 cable and a micro-usb / USB A standard cable (I mean not audiophile-graded cable).

The headphones I used were Sennheiser HD800S (SD actually), using SE output of the PHA-2A. I listened may be 5-6 tracks, but tried to do it carefully.

To my ears, the sonic presentation is very similar with these 2 amps. Same level of details, same layering, same soundstage, same bandwidth.

I noticed a little difference on the lower mid-range : with the Sony, it is a little emphasized. With the Mojo, it is more linear.

So it will depend on tracks you are listening : sometimes, the Sony will have a little more weight, and sometimes, the Mojo may appear a little bit cleaner.
I think it would be a matter of taste. But none of the 2 amps is significantly better than the other one. And none of them were aggressive.

For the rest, the Mojo is much much smaller and lighter than the Sony, but I much prefer the volume control of the Sony (rotary knob) rather than the 2 buttons of the Mojo.
Concerning battery life, on my devices (second hand devices), the Sony last much longer with the HD800S. But I don't know with fresh batteries if this would also be the case.
And you have one SE output + one balanced output on the Sony, against 2 SE output for the Mojo.

Hope it will help you.
Best
Kres

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #14,577 of 14,755
Hi

I'm getting back to you. I've made a few listening tests (I'm not found of doing tests : just listening music) between the Mojo and the PHA-2A.
Both were plugged into a sony ZX2 DAP, via the WMC-NWH10 cable and a micro-usb / USB A standard cable (I mean not audiophile-graded cable).

The headphones I used were Sennheiser HD800S (SD actually), using SE output of the PHA-2A. I listened may be 5-6 tracks, but tried to do it carefully.

To my ears, the sonic presentation is very similar with these 2 amps. Same level of details, same layering, same soundstage, same bandwidth.

I noticed a little difference on the lower mid-range : with the Sony, it is a little emphasized. With the Mojo, it is more linear.

So it will depend on tracks you are listening : sometimes, the Sony will have a little more weight, and sometimes, the Mojo may appear a little bit cleaner.
I think it would be a matter of taste. But none of the 2 amps is significantly better than the other one. And none of them were aggressive.

For the rest, the Mojo is much much smaller and lighter than the Sony, but I much prefer the volume control of the Sony (rotary knob) rather than the 2 buttons of the Mojo.
Concerning battery life, on my devices (second hand devices), the Sony last much longer with the HD800S. But I don't know with fresh batteries if this would also be the case.
And you have one SE output + one balanced output on the Sony, against 2 SE output for the Mojo.

Hope it will help you.
Best
Kres
Wow, that was a great comparison. Appreciate it. I agree, the volume knob of the Sony is so smooth. Though bigger than the Mojo, I think the Sony looks and feels more premium. Anyway, I can sleep soundly now that I know I am not missing anything. Really appreciate it.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #14,579 of 14,755
Was anyone able to get Tidal working again on the ZX2? That was pretty much I used on the DAP so may need to look for alternatives.
How do you do it?

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #14,580 of 14,755
Was anyone able to get Tidal working again on the ZX2? That was pretty much I used on the DAP so may need to look for alternatives.
A couple of pages back there was a note on how to install “a work around” via another android device. I don”t have that and have given in. Tidal is dead on my zx2 - sad. On the other hand, I now get to listen to all the stuff, I meticulously have ripped for the sd card.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back