SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #14,146 of 14,755
I don't remember mentioning here, but it may be of interest that I tried the Sony BCR-NWH10 cradle for the ZX2 with good power supplies (battery, a top switching PSU and a top LPS). There were minor differences between the "good" power supplies, but there was a big difference from the supplied PSU.

Compared to the microRendu, the USB out from the cradle+LPS sounded more open and more revealing in the midrange, but the slight midbass thickness of the ZX2 came through also via USB, so I'd say the mRendu was more lean/clean in the bass section, but depending on the headphone, I preferred either this or the other. This cradle + a good PSU makes the ZX2 a considerably good digital transport with USB output.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #14,147 of 14,755
I don't remember mentioning here, but it may be of interest that I tried the Sony BCR-NWH10 cradle for the ZX2 with good power supplies (battery, a top switching PSU and a top LPS). There were minor differences between the "good" power supplies, but there was a big difference from the supplied PSU.

Compared to the microRendu, the USB out from the cradle+LPS sounded more open and more revealing in the midrange, but the slight midbass thickness of the ZX2 came through also via USB, so I'd say the mRendu was more lean/clean in the bass section, but depending on the headphone, I preferred either this or the other. This cradle + a good PSU makes the ZX2 a considerably good digital transport with USB output.

Thanks for this post. I was not aware of the cradle. Just ordered it could you explain a bit more what you meant with:

"There were minor differences between the "good" power supplies, but there was a big difference from the supplied PSU."

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #14,148 of 14,755
Thanks for this post. I was not aware of the cradle. Just ordered it could you explain a bit more what you meant with:
"There were minor differences between the "good" power supplies, but there was a big difference from the supplied PSU."

Each good PSU sounded a good step better than the stock one, but they were on more or less similar level. IOW the sonic improvement already appears with an external battery, i.e. it's enough to use a decent enough PSU, no need for maxing out on PSU investment for the cradle. The ZX2 + cradle + external PSU is a seriously good digital transport, but depends on your system and on your taste. Note that I have disabled/stopped all but the essential processes running on the ZX2.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #14,149 of 14,755
Each good PSU sounded a good step better than the stock one, but they were on more or less similar level. IOW the sonic improvement already appears with an external battery, i.e. it's enough to use a decent enough PSU, no need for maxing out on PSU investment for the cradle. The ZX2 + cradle + external PSU is a seriously good digital transport, but depends on your system and on your taste.

Can you recommend a PSU?

Note that I have disabled/stopped all but the essential processes running on the ZX2.
I try my best to do the same, but I am not so sure how to get rid of Apps like the google play kiosk , google text in sprache, talk back etc.
I deactivated them and forced them to shut down. Is this what you mean?

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #14,150 of 14,755
I delete and disable all I can, I only use it for music and nothing else, to really get rid of all, you have to root it, and I think it's done in china, but it's very complicated on the ZX2.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #14,151 of 14,755
Can you recommend a PSU?
I try my best to do the same, but I am not so sure how to get rid of Apps like the google play kiosk , google text in sprache, talk back etc.
I deactivated them and forced them to shut down. Is this what you mean?

Yes, disable/force stop them. I started with uninstalling all unused apps/services and disabling/force stopping the other ones. I do not really recommend rooting the ZX2, as it sounds pretty good when cleaned up.

About PSU's, even better a phone charging battery would do for the cradle, or even an iPad charger (which actually is a quite clean PSU), but of course you can use Teddy Pardo, Paul Hynes, Sbooster, LPS-1, SPS-500 etc. There are different preferences there, in all equipment I always try to shoot for the direction of a perceived deeper tone with more relaxed, calm yet more dynamic sound. You need to figure out which product produces that effect in your system.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #14,152 of 14,755
Yes, disable/force stop them. I started with uninstalling all unused apps/services and disabling/force stopping the other ones. I do not really recommend rooting the ZX2, as it sounds pretty good when cleaned up.

About PSU's, even better a phone charging battery would do for the cradle, or even an iPad charger (which actually is a quite clean PSU), but of course you can use Teddy Pardo, Paul Hynes, Sbooster, LPS-1, SPS-500 etc. There are different preferences there, in all equipment I always try to shoot for the direction of a perceived deeper tone with more relaxed, calm yet more dynamic sound. You need to figure out which product produces that effect in your system.

Just got a shock googeling the prices for Teddy Pardo :-x

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #14,153 of 14,755
I have conducted a bit of an expensive and hard work experiments. I concluded that the Zx2 is an excellent transport if you use it with the correct accessory (Only). It also explains why the Zx2 spend it battery like crazy when being a transport. It is because Zx2 spends a lot of it prowess to cater toward the DC signals to not only preserve the best of the Digital signals, but also give it the best quality it needs. The worse thing is that the Zx2 needs both parts to have you witness the best of it quality. It accessory.

1/ Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output. It has quality capacitors, resistors, and a huge processor chip on the inside. Quality shielding....etc....etc. When using this cables, there is a huge step up away from the cheap OTG cables from PHA-3 packaging or 3rd party cables of similar kind

The real deal

The trash PHA-3 cables for Walkman, and it similar low quality OTG for Walkman to digital.

Now, you ask how should you know ? First, buy authentic Sony cables as I said above. Second, the different is most seen in the size of the cables. The low quality has no inner stuffing, where as the Sony high-res has a sophisticated inner boarding. Picture from another member compare to the smaller one

To have the best quality of transporting from Zx2, you will have to modify the stock cables, and there was one member who posted it here before as well. At first look, you may think it is BS. But it is not.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/10890#post_12400249

I did an extensive testing and criticle listening between the PHA-3 cables and this cables. There were a huge different in "inner fidelity" and "soundstage" just to name the most 2 obvious improvements. There are more weighty, impact within a tonal body of beats and plays. The vividly representing rhymes of the instruments and it energies. The bad thing is that it only has Female USB end. It also has cheap copper wires inside. Therefore, I modified my cables. Let's talk about it later.

2/ The next accessory that you would want for Zx2 as a transport will have to be the dock. BCR-NWH10

It allow you to transport quality high resolution digital signals into your DAC/amp. It also allow charging while docking and feeding external devices, so your Zx2 is always charged. You wonder why ? Here is a shot of the inside. Yes, by using these 2 accessory. You can get the best digital feeding on the go, or the best desktop digital feeding. There are no argues about this. It is just pure facts that me and a reputable member had witnessed it.

****Now, the glorified/modified**** cables. This is only a prototype. I used large AWG Solid pure quality silver for wires. Quality shielding to resist interferences, and output toward Micro-USB port. I am very happy with the result, and will be making another improved version soon.

Why do modifications ? Because we need the micro USB end, then we want to upgrade the cables for even better quality. Why not ? Beside, to make sure the inner stuffing is authentic, there is only one way....to buy authentic cables and modify it.

So far, all I can say is that Digital signals do need special cares given to have quality music as a part of the chain, and whoever think digital do not get negative affects is wrong. Example of flours and sugar to make cookies. You have bad cookies if flours and sugars are bad, you have best cookies if flours and sugars are the best. Now, imagines your Digital signals being Flours and sugar....then the chief who make cookies is your DAC....and your cookies is the final Analouges quality to output the music to your ears.

Therefore I am very happy with my improved and modified cables. I thought I would want to share with anyone who want to know more. You can disregard it if you don't want to believe it.

Now, if you want to ask more questions ? It would be why did I say Zx2 is one of the best transport ? Again, only Zx2 would bring special catering toward digital signals out at this level....a stand alone DAP that lasts for 18 hours or more....but digitally transport and it got reduced to 10 hours or so. It was also specially designed for Sony own accessory, and the best quality can only come off this combination. Would a smartphone be good for transporting ? Of course, and why not ? But portably speaking, for the best quality ? It gotta be the Sony newest gadgets and technologies.

I wanted to connect my WM1Z to my Numerico DAC from Viva Audio. Is there a high quality cable with the Sony port and USB 2.0 Type B?? Anyone that would build this for me?

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #14,155 of 14,755
I wanted to connect my WM1Z to my Numerico DAC from Viva Audio. Is there a high quality cable with the Sony port and USB 2.0 Type B?? Anyone that would build this for me?
I can point you to the right direct, and your on your own.

www.taobao.cn
www.aliexpress.com
online there are many custom 3rd party company to make custom cables.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #14,156 of 14,755
Hi folks ...

I have a quick question. I have recently bought a cable second hand. I don't use a DAP at all as a source, just my smartphone (LGV20) + my laptop. The cable fits my CIEMs at the 2 prong end fine, but when i use it with either my laptop or my smartphone the sound is in one earpiece only.

I think that the cable was originally used with a ZX2 as a source (which is why i'm asking here). The cable is a 3.5 TRRS cable terminated for use with sony zx2/cowon p1/hifiman 901. I did not realize that it would not work with my smartphone and have been told that i need an adapter. Can anyone give me a link to a suitable adapter that will give me the stereo sound that i am looking for. I am in Sydney, Australia. Despite spending may too long online and googling I'm still basically clueless about balanced cables and plugs. :frowning2:

Would this one be suitable?

> http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables...ards-bi-directional-adapter-ctia-to-omtp.html

Appreciate the response.

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #14,157 of 14,755
Hi folks ...

I have a quick question. I have recently bought a cable second hand. I don't use a DAP at all as a source, just my smartphone (LGV20) + my laptop. The cable fits my CIEMs at the 2 prong end fine, but when i use it with either my laptop or my smartphone the sound is in one earpiece only.

I think that the cable was originally used with a ZX2 as a source (which is why i'm asking here). The cable is a 3.5 TRRS cable terminated for use with sony zx2/cowon p1/hifiman 901. I did not realize that it would not work with my smartphone and have been told that i need an adapter. Can anyone give me a link to a suitable adapter that will give me the stereo sound that i am looking for. I am in Sydney, Australia. Despite spending may too long online and googling I'm still basically clueless about balanced cables and plugs. :frowning2:

Would this one be suitable?

> http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables...ards-bi-directional-adapter-ctia-to-omtp.html

Appreciate the response.

This is the adapter you need. Not the one you linked.

https://www.scansound.com/3-5mm-3-c...-4-conductor-female-jack-headset-adapter.html

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #14,158 of 14,755
Guys, been using my ZX2 for a few years now, love it. Like others I prefer my own music, but I've stuck with ZX2 because of TIDAL & QOBUZ for revewing new music. Anyway, has never been a probelm, QOBUZ a bit sticky at times, but OK. So I tried updating my subscription to QOBUZ Sublime + and imported a Talking Heads album at 24/96...... It refuses to play it...... Anyone had same issue?

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #14,159 of 14,755
Guys, been using my ZX2 for a few years now, love it. Like others I prefer my own music, but I've stuck with ZX2 because of TIDAL & QOBUZ for revewing new music. Anyway, has never been a probelm, QOBUZ a bit sticky at times, but OK. So I tried updating my subscription to QOBUZ Sublime + and imported a Talking Heads album at 24/96...... It refuses to play it...... Anyone had same issue?
I always first download via the Qobuz website and import it with Media Go. Afterwards I can play it with Onkyo HF or the intern player.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #14,160 of 14,755
Today I was looking for my ipod touch earbud to give to a friend, and I found out it TRRS, it does not have the inline controls and mic, and i'm not sure if it's reterminated to Sony's ZX2 TRRS specification, but it does sound pretty good. Whiles it does sound good, I find the earbuds to be really uncomfortable, anyway i'm giving it away to a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back