SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 17, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #13,276 of 14,755
Some ZX2 questions. 

Background: I have a ZX1with Z7 headphones. I have really enjoyed this setup for some time.  The ZX1 is an international model that I picked up in Tokyo a couple of years ago. Recent changes for me are the purchase of a PHA3 and the degraded battery on my ZX1 giving me erratic play times. I thought I'd try my Xperia Z5 phone as a source for streaming and pick up a new WM1A for music, but the Xperia sounds much worse than the ZX1 when attached to the PHA3.  I figured I would wait for the 1A, as it can stream DSD without conversion to the PHA3.  But, I only have about 50 DSD songs right now.  So maybe for me that's not a big deal.

Questions:  Will I notice a huge difference between a ZX2 connected to the PHA3 versus the PHA3 on DSD files?  Second, what is the difference between the Japanese version of the ZX2 and the US version I see on Amazon?  I was a huge MD person years ago, and I have around 50 .oma files on my ZX1 that I sync through MediaGo.  Any reason to get a Japanese version of the ZX2 to provide the same support as my ZX1.

I love the ZX1, and I would just buy another one if the ZX2 didn't have a better battery now that I have the PHA3.  What are you thoughts and recommendations?  I'm an engineer.  I like data when making a decision.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #13,277 of 14,755
Just purchased a ZX2, pairing with Oriolus v2 with upgrade cable. ZX2 shows me how great Oriolus capabilities. Really amazing combo. You are all welcome other users have these combination to tell me which records I should listen to in the first place.

Downloaded Tidal btw. I can't tell any big difference while streaming hifi between ZX2 and iPhone 6S yet.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #13,278 of 14,755
There will still be differences from Zx100 vs Zx2 feeding The pha-3. However, buy the cradles first, as it works with any Walkman just fine and improve quality while charging the Walkman as well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-For-NW-ZX2-ZX1-A10-F880-From-Japan-/201569477354?hash=item2eee7a22ea:g:VrUAAOSwoBtW3wMF

Zx2 Japan has no volume cap, English language, ability to record MP3 songs

I say just hold out onto 1A, you can get a quality transport (without streaming) and powerful Walkman on the go....unless u need streaming and don't need powerful Walkman on the go, then Zx2 is the only one

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #13,280 of 14,755
  I missed this player for$450

if it was the japan/no volume cap version , you missed a great bargain INDEED

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #13,282 of 14,755
I often see an "international version" on Amazon here in the US.  What is the international version?  Is it the european one with the volume cap?  I was thinking about getting myself another one.  Last time I had the japanese version and it was great, but I would like something with a warranty here in North America if I get another one, just in case.

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #13,283 of 14,755
  I often see an "international version" on Amazon here in the US.  What is the international version?  Is it the european one with the volume cap?  I was thinking about getting myself another one.  Last time I had the japanese version and it was great, but I would like something with a warranty here in North America if I get another one, just in case.

Nope internatinal version is for all countries and doesnt has a volume cap.

PS WM1A is due to go out for sale, ZX2 is obsolete already

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #13,285 of 14,755
Lol, yeah, don't want a a player that's taking a step backwards. I'll be fine with the ZX2. Though I guess I should wait as maybe the prices will come down.

Yes, like all Sony products (as well as other DAPs), price will drop graciously over 2-3months after launch, and by 12months when another newer model is announced, the price will be very attractively just before the model becomes out of stock.

ZX2 is a good DAP, and I can't hear a difference (using 4-poles TRRS on both DAP) when doing audition with WM1A. It was a short 10mins audition in the Sony Store for me, and I don't have the best ears like some of the audiophiles here.

The difference between DAPs is very subtle, even if you have a longer time audition, you may not hear much a difference if doing blind test.

After doing the audition of the WM1A/WM1Z, I cancelled my order and used the money to purchase a top end IEM instead. In fact, I sold my Z5 as well after hearing the difference.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #13,286 of 14,755
Yes exactly. I guess I'm also one of the few that can't here a difference between the single ended vs trrs wiring. I can tell the ZX2 sounds fantastic as well as other DAPs but I can barely tell the difference in sound amongst them. The biggest improvement in sound came when I went from Shure se530s to the se846. And even then I think the significant difference was the addition of low frequency response more than anything else. But oh boy did it sound amazing!

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #13,287 of 14,755
  3rd one I found out today is enabling sound enhancements then disabling the sound enhancements......then going to settings -> apps -> and going to running tab and not the all tab.....and kill the sound enhancement track on the running tab. It should be 5 megabytes or so. Then restart the same track.

3rd option i found makes the ZX2 absolutely 100% neutral signature.....compared to the warm sound you get from completely disabling the 20.0k app in all and getting this mushy sound that is dark with recessed lower treble and super strong bass....detailing is much better and there is much more energy in the sound that people complained about. IMO it sounds much better. Try this guys and let me know. I can definitely hear the difference with my studio monitors here for sure.

I have to say I was dubious about this "more reference" sounding mode of operation - perhaps because I couldn't get le technique right. However, the other night, I was trying to get it working (again) and bam - it does indeed exist. mmmm, me likes. I think I did an extra couple of steps in addition to the above instructions, but if you can get it working for you, it really opens up the higher frequencies, removes the Sony house sound feeling of the ZX2 and reveals a very impressive level of mid/upper detail. I have a pair oif ie80s (lowest bass setting) with a Silver Widow cable, and even they sound pretty damn sparkly and clear, to the extent that they may well be my new best friends. Shock horror, my ER4s may about to take a backstage role.....

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #13,288 of 14,755
I have to say I was dubious about this "more reference" sounding mode of operation - perhaps because I couldn't get le technique right. However, the other night, I was trying to get it working (again) and bam - it does indeed exist. mmmm, me likes. I think I did an extra couple of steps in addition to the above instructions, but if you can get it working for you, it really opens up the higher frequencies, removes the Sony house sound feeling of the ZX2 and reveals a very impressive level of mid/upper detail. I have a pair oif ie80s (lowest bass setting) with a Silver Widow cable, and even they sound pretty damn sparkly and clear, to the extent that they may well be my new best friends. Shock horror, my ER4s may about to take a backstage role.....
yes....you have to turn on sound adjustment....then turn on clear audio+ and uncheck it....then only terminate the sound adjustment app on the running tab. The sub bass is also much clearer with less mid bass. The sound stage also expands, with vocals sounding from around the forehead compared to coming from your jaw. Becomes sparkly.glad you agree on the finding. No one really tried it in this forum.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #13,289 of 14,755
yes....you have to turn on sound adjustment....then turn on clear audio+ and uncheck it....then only terminate the sound adjustment app on the running tab. The sub bass is also much clearer with less mid bass. The sound stage also expands, with vocals sounding from around the forehead compared to coming from your jaw. Becomes sparkly.glad you agree on the finding. No one really tried it in this forum.

I am trying it now but cannot say I hear a difference. I reckon the sound app was working as the volume dropped quite a bit. I followed your instructions and am now trying it out.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #13,290 of 14,755
Yes, like all Sony products (as well as other DAPs), price will drop graciously over 2-3months after launch, and by 12months when another newer model is announced, the price will be very attractively just before the model becomes out of stock.

ZX2 is a good DAP, and I can't hear a difference (using 4-poles TRRS on both DAP) when doing audition with WM1A. It was a short 10mins audition in the Sony Store for me, and I don't have the best ears like some of the audiophiles here.

The difference between DAPs is very subtle, even if you have a longer time audition, you may not hear much a difference if doing blind test.

After doing the audition of the WM1A/WM1Z, I cancelled my order and used the money to purchase a top end IEM instead. In fact, I sold my Z5 as well after hearing the difference.

That is perhap true that the differences between DAPs are subtles, though we can not deny the improvements though. However, it seems that DAP is hitting a brick of diminishing return+power supply from a battery pack .....LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back