SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 29, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #13,173 of 14,755
Will be putting my mint ZX2 for sale sometime today for those interested. I will post here when done.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #13,176 of 14,755
Sep 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #13,178 of 14,755
Didn't the zx2 hit the right spot?

I really like mine still.

Me too. In fact, I bought the ZX2 only recently after the announcement of WM1A/WM1Z. The ZX2 ticks all the boxes for me, from sound and built quality, to battery life and good android applications. A bit heavy for a portable DAP, but no complaints for the weight contributed by the built quality. Any bigger is almost going back to my old DAP with portable amps, which is a big hassle for traveling and defeats the purpose of being portable. 

Getting a WM1A seems to be going into the similar AK marketing path - as once into WM1A, the upgrade bugs continue and one-day, it will be a WM1Z. Unlikely for sound quality, but materials used for exterior?

I have bad hearing anyway and only using IEMs, and I doubt I could hear any differences between a ZX2 and WM1A. At least, my ZX2 can do everything that WM1A couldn't do, while I will hear no differences in either set. So easy choice. I paid less than US$800 for this brand new ZX2, vs having to pay US$1,199 for a WM1A for something less for me.

I don't like to keep DSD, and all hires in wav, which is technically better.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #13,179 of 14,755
It's good you mentioned this, every one has different hearing capabilities and at different life stages, our hearing is affected. Possibly people damage their hearing through many hours of abuse through dangerous volumes. Or their brain just can't analyze the audio, I don't know.

Then they say all DAP's sound the same and DACs. And of coarse to them, they will.
I agree the WM1A is going to become heavier and bulkier, and the zx2 is already a handful and I want smaller with the same sound, not bigger with more power, i don't need.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #13,180 of 14,755
I thought I'd also mention IMO, if you drop the second volume,( the music video games volume) by 2 or 3 clicks. With sensitive IEM's it's dropped the harshness, it seems so smooth now with all sibilance gone for me. It seems to be too much gain if the volume is all up for my IEM'S.
Please try this fellow zx2 users, it's maybe making a little extra noise at higher volumes, but really great improvement overall for me.
ymmv

I leave sound enhancements on.
Clear bass +4 to 6 gain

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #13,181 of 14,755
Didn't the zx2 hit the right spot?

I really like mine still.

I want my device to not have Android and it's associated baggage. I want it to only play music, don't get me wrong the player is amazing from it's build quality to SQ. The added power is also welcome as I continue to be plagued by fit issues with ear phones. I will use for the most part headphones from now on.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #13,182 of 14,755
I want my device to not have Android and it's associated baggage. I want it to only play music, don't get me wrong the player is amazing from it's build quality to SQ. The added power is also welcome as I continue to be plagued by fit issues with ear phones. I will use for the most part headphones from now on.

Fair enough, I understand the love/hate thing going on with Android, these things have their positives like the streaming apps, or extra browsers and file browser's.

I guess then your also working against the clock, as updates slowly render the DAP useless, within the Android platform.
Yeah the new upcoming DAP will be a real bonus for headphones with all that extra power, especially working in true inverted balanced mode. I may be buying a wm1a shortly as well.

Sony have looked after us Aussies on price as well, on this round of up and coming DAP's.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #13,183 of 14,755
anyone using his zx2 with Empire Ears Athena ? How is the sound/synergy ?

thanx

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #13,184 of 14,755
I thought I'd also mention IMO, if you drop the second volume,( the music video games volume) by 2 or 3 clicks. With sensitive IEM's it's dropped the harshness, it seems so smooth now with all sibilance gone for me. It seems to be too much gain if the volume is all up for my IEM'S.
Please try this fellow zx2 users, it's maybe making a little extra noise at higher volumes, but really great improvement overall for me.
ymmv

I leave sound enhancements on.
Clear bass +4 to 6 gain

Holy crap....it makes the bass less punchy, but it does drop the harshness. Real Thanks :)

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #13,185 of 14,755
Holy crap....it makes the bass less punchy, but it does drop the harshness. Real Thanks :)

It has given this DAP a new level of clarity that is like nothing in have heard before from the zx2.

I wish I discovered this earlier. But it's my pleasure to share any way I can, to improve the zx2, and if you step the bass back up with clear bass, I think you get most of the bass back:thumbsup:.
What a shame people sold this DAP before sampling with the second volume down 3 to 4 notches down. What a major improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back