SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 3, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #12,931 of 14,755
It shouldn't be THAT surprising because DoP could very well be saved for WM1Z and WM1A, that's why no such luck with ZX2 and unrooted ZX1/F880.

And then it's only natural to save Wi-Fi for WM2Z if that were running Android. LOL

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #12,932 of 14,755
And don't forget the **** search function of the ZX2, only by song. What's the problem in search also by artist and album?? The ZX2 is a music player, I hope 1A improve a better search function respect ZX2.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #12,933 of 14,755
Let me clarify. Zx2 is a Walkman, and all Walkman is using Sony S-Master. This is different than traditional DAC you can find off the shelves. For S-Master to be able to do DSD, it had to be designed so. Zx2 S-Master was not designed from the hardware to decode native DSD. Zx2 will convert it to high quality PCM for playback or digital out.

If you want DSD ? Go for 1A or 1Z

I agree Walkman OS is the best and the purest for audio quality. But in trade of this, we sacrifice the practicality and conveniences from android OS.

Sony shall at the least offer ZX1AZ or so as successor from Zx2 which runs on android and have the same build as 1A/Z :D

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #12,935 of 14,755
Sony shall at the least offer ZX1AZ or so as successor from Zx2 which runs on android and have the same build as 1A/Z
biggrin.gif

Android is a pain for a company, it introduces harder to anticipate and control variables so I'm not surprised Sony, at least for their flagship model DAPs, have opted to go another direction. I'm sure in time this may change, but Android isn't completely ready for prime-time as the backbone of an audio player. I suspect Sony carefully considered the pros and cons of using Android and decided that with their design goals that it was better to go their own OS.

Come on you ZX2 users, the writing was extremely clear, why do you think they never once updated the ZX2? I am quite sure they did testing and whenever they did Sony likely found that each new Android version introduced changes that would require they rework too much of their software and it just wasn't worth it. Look at the non-stop issues the FiiO X7 has. Sure they are small and the device is getting better and is arguably excellent in many respects, but I follow that thread and it is extremely evident that trying to use Android as the OS is challenging. Why I'm not sure.

What I'm surprised about is that there is no other way that Sony could get access to the streams from the major streaming services without another OS. Maybe in the future the Sony OS will enable streaming services to be ported in. I would be shocked if this isn't actually on their radar. Much like having really, really weak amplification in the ZX2 made little sense, not supporting streaming in my mind makes even less sense so either they are working on it behind the scenes, or they are waiting to see the consumer response to this decision. Either way, I feel confident that Sony will eventually, sooner than later I hope, offer streaming support with their flagship devices. If we can split atoms and map the human genome, I'm sure Sony can get streaming services into their OS. Of course I'm speculating rampantly here so feel free to disregard this as the inane ramblings of somebody with little better to do than muse over such things.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #12,936 of 14,755
Sep 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #12,937 of 14,755
Hey guys, I am going to get a dap for my portable rig and am mostly between the Zx2 and Acoustic Research M2.  I know the M2 has more power, but don't really need as will drive iems mostly, and Ultrasone Signature Pro with ""balanced" TRRS cables for X2.  Was considering Mojo to stack with iPhone 6, but don't want to stack if possible.  Listening to FLAC and Tidal.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #12,938 of 14,755
Regarding  a possible NW-ZX2 purchase, I am worried about os and firmware updates.  What is the current version of Android?  Still 4.2.2?  I want to use Tidal in addition to playing my own FLAC files, and am worried that Tidal might not work due to needing more current version of Android.  Is this a real possibility?  If so, it is real ****ty that a flagship dap, around a year and a half old only, should have these problems.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #12,940 of 14,755
"Regarding  a possible NW-ZX2 purchase, I am worried about os and firmware updates.  What is the current version of Android?  Still 4.2.2?  I want to use Tidal in addition to playing my own FLAC files, and am worried that Tidal might not work due to needing more current version of Android.  Is this a real possibility?  If so, it is real ****ty that a flagship dap, around a year and a half old only, should have these problems."

"I run tidal...no issues."

But what about future?  Will Tidal still work on older Android version in the future?  I know some apps don't work On the version on ZX2.  That is my main worry.  I don't want to buy now if Sony refuses to update and I lose ability to play/use apps like Tidal.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #12,941 of 14,755
  "Regarding  a possible NW-ZX2 purchase, I am worried about os and firmware updates.  What is the current version of Android?  Still 4.2.2?  I want to use Tidal in addition to playing my own FLAC files, and am worried that Tidal might not work due to needing more current version of Android.  Is this a real possibility?  If so, it is real ****ty that a flagship dap, around a year and a half old only, should have these problems."

"I run tidal...no issues."

But what about future?  Will Tidal still work on older Android version in the future?  I know some apps don't work On the version on ZX2.  That is my main worry.  I don't want to buy now if Sony refuses to update and I lose ability to play/use apps like Tidal.

Is this a legit concern?  Or am I being paranoid?

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #12,942 of 14,755

Is this a legit concern?  Or am I being paranoid?

There is no way of knowing the answer to this. Sony have not released any update's and do not look like they will. After all, why would they jeopardise any sound quality issues from that update?
There are 2 new DAP's now so I cannot see anything being done for the ZX2 software or firmware.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #12,943 of 14,755
I got my ZX2 one week ago and was also worried about the old android version. Considering the price I want to use the ZX2 for several years. Will it run Tidal in 2-3 years from now? Maybe, but honestly I doubt it. Why should Tidal still support "ancient" android versions in 2018/2019? But right now the only alternative to the Sony which is able to run Tidal etc would be the Onkyo dpx1. I was able to get the zx2 for a discount of approx 25%. For his money the ZX2 seemed the better option than the Onkyo. And if Onkyo will uodate the dpx1 in the future with new android versions is yet to be seen

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #12,945 of 14,755
And don't forget the **** search function of the ZX2, only by song. What's the problem in search also by artist and album?? The ZX2 is a music player, I hope 1A improve a better search function respect ZX2.

Yes and supossedly will have composer search which I longed for sooooo long​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back