1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-ZX2 DAP

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Nov 16, 2014.
First

Back
653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662
664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673
Next

Last
  1. audioxxx

Thanks mate,
    absolutely, the ZX2 scales so well, the better the headphone or iem's, the better she plays, I just hope the synergy is good, otherwise there will be tears:sweat:

2. turen009
    what would be good IMEs to match with the ZX2?

3. Whitigir

Anything that is revealing and detailing :D because Zx2 has enough warmth and density to bring your music alive, you just need these kind of IEMS for the best synergy

4. Conext

I went from using Sony MDR-7550s (EX-800ST) with the ZX2—which were very solidly mid-range IEMs to the Senns IE800. The difference in the clarity, detail and instrument separation was nigh shocking.

Of course, I continue to tumble down the rabbit hole and am about to throw an external amp into the mix to extract that last bit of improvement from my setup...[​IMG]

5. Whitigir

External amp would alter the sound coming from Zx2, be it analog or digital :). Best stay pure to Zx2, and get what he can drive without struggling

6. turen009
    Does it drive 250ohm cans well, like the Beyer dt770?

7. Caruryn
    Hmm,i was looking at the site you recommended,the prices are good,the silver cable for most iems/can is the same.The problem is it has the highest AWG which is 28.The silver dragon has 26 which explains why it is priced higher and mine is 22 with 5 nines for purity,again almost double the money. The sound is really good with sound enhancement  disabled,crisp dynamic and detailed but with no trrs.I was looking at these links https://www.google.gr/search?q=22+awg+vs+28awg&oq=AWG28+AWG22&gs_l=serp.1.1.0i8i13i30j0i8i13i10i30j0i22i30.4163.7011.0.11108.2.2.0.0.0.0.115.228.0j2.2.0....0...1c.1j2.64.serp..0.2.228.zDcq_LnzkqE

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/878399-clarification-hdmi-awg-ratings.html

wondering if this whole bandwith,information,thickness they're refering translates to sound cables or just hdmi.The best would probably be to buy a trrs plug but i'm not too fond  of playing with a $300 cable since i haven't done this before.

8. audioxxx

I have a couple of amp's and neither did well, the amp in the ZX2 is where half the magic happens, and you loose this when trying others amp's.

There are probably high end amp's that may do better, but will likely cost just as much as the ZX2.

My rabbit hole is starting to become a bear cave.

9. Whitigir

You are looking at "solid core silver" and not multiple stranded like the silver dragon. Beside silver dragon has some silver plated copper mixed in. This is "pure Solid Silver" that I used, testes, stress tested, and heard the improvements, differences. Trust me, you would not regret one bit, may thanks me later. If you wonder, Solid core conduct much better continuity in current and flow than stranded, by being 28 AWG, it is the perfect size to be flexible, and this is what you really really need.

Caruryn likes this.
  10. Whitigir

Doubtful, I say "no", stick with some high sensitivity, but lower impedance, Z7, Thx00, nighthawk, th600, th900...etc...try to stay below 100 ohm with more than 100 db/mw as possible

11. Hifi59

The Burson soloist used in conjunction with the ZX-2 sounds fantastic!
    If I just want to hear the Burson amp while using the Sony dac, I connect to wm port to RCA audio in on Burson.
    This combo actually sounds best to my ears. Unfortunetley, the wm port has a very low output.
    I have to crank my Burson full throttle just to get a reasonable level of sound to drive my LCD -3f
    and Alpha Dogs.

12. audioxxx

Yes, this is one of Sony's walkman pitfalls, the line output from the WM port is so low, it almost makes most amp's non compatible.

I don't understand why Sony did this.:fearful:
    Good to know the Burson Soloist is doing well, thanks.

13. nc8000 Contributor

I'm using Whiplash Audio TWau Reference on all my phones and love the sound but it is expensive and customer service and delivery times can be erratic so patience is required when dealing with them.

14. clkt
    Welp, all these aftermarket cables are made only when they are ordered thus the waiting time. Planning to get a DHC Symbiote SP OCC Silver Type 4 Litz IEM Cable (Tier 4) and holy smokes that wating time! But silver cables ftw. Only issue is whether if I should get a permanent TRRS for the NW-ZX2 or.....

I know most people recommends TRRS for ZX2. But my only concern is regarding other players etc.

15. Whitigir

Get TRRS, and request an extensions adapted into TRS for other players. Yeah, to acquire TRRS for Zx2 is the PITA, which is worth it, but it is a PITA...and darnnnnn DHC cables price .....woooohhhhtttt......

First

Back
653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662
664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673
Next

Last