SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #9,871 of 14,755
Aww man. Seems to be a promising audio player. Too bad ZX-2 is stuck in 4.2

It's pretty much the best if you want to stream digital from android. True gapless playback too....playlists, etc. Works with my Galaxy S3 into every portable DAC/amp I own.
Edit- not sure if it can do dsd though..... I forgot that's what you guys play.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #9,872 of 14,755
Exactly, this Onkyo player HF can not output high-res and or up converting DSD into Mojo, only stock app allows the high-res out into Mojo.

Onkyo HF paid version do just fine high-res and DSD Mojo from note 4.

Yep, all Onkyo hi-res also works on Chord compatible Apple products.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #9,873 of 14,755
Oh, sorry about that, I didn't realise. There is a free trial version, but you had to download the apk file and install using android. .....Do you own any other android devices like a phone? If so, you can probably use it with those.

I can try it on the phone, my note 4, but please allow me to skip it :D...Onkyo HF player testing and critical listening sessions feeding into MoJo, A/B with Zx2 and all these OS limitations, nuances differences in sound is driving me crazy lol....I am honestly stressed out at the moment.

Whenever I am stressed out, I would therapy with my music, and my ears, brain is picking this up for that therapy session

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #9,874 of 14,755
I can try it on the phone, my note 4, but please allow me to skip it :D...Onkyo HF player testing and critical listening sessions feeding into MoJo, A/B with Zx2 and all these OS limitations, nuances differences in sound is driving me crazy lol....I am honestly stressed out at the moment.

Whenever I am stressed out, I would therapy with my music, and my ears, brain is picking this up for that therapy session

Once you start overanalysing audio, and expecting to hear differences, you will hear differences that just aren't there in reality. It's called expectation bias.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #9,875 of 14,755
So far yeah. You can make it a little shorter by re-enabling it before shutting off and restart the device, when it is restarted and is on then you can disable it again.

Btw, it doesn't seem like Sony is going to upgrade zx2 or so, at ces2016 and they only announced rainbow color on A26 which is A17 successor ?

Hmm, seems like ZX2 will have another good year of listening then

Well you know, maybe—maybe—this means that since Sony isn't planning on a ZX2 successor this year, they're going to focus their efforts on getting a new software build based on KitKat for the ZX2? Granted, it's a long shot, but it's not outside the realm of possibilities.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #9,876 of 14,755
Once you start overanalysing audio, and expecting to hear differences, you will hear differences that just aren't there in reality. It's called expectation bias.

Trust me, I don't bias, and don't bs. This is my hobby, the hobby that stick with me from childhood, and is getting more serious as I am more stable in financial and family situation. I am whole heartedly looking and wanting better quality than Zx2, hence I expressed interests into the Mojo as a new technology device, I prayed, and wished....anyways, it is still upon preferences. But why would I keep picking up Zx2 ? I will post my review soon. In the mean time, you can look into my other post.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/9750#post_12209904

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #9,877 of 14,755

Your tablet has a Jumbotron HI-RES audio sticker
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #9,879 of 14,755
After few hours listening to Mojo now and feeding ZX2 toward it, I can totally see why some people would love and make purchase on the Mojo and disregard Zx2. Though Zx2 owners need not to worry. However, I am fully open heart to welcome new tech and upgrades. Mojo wouldn't be a what called to be an upgrade, but rather side-grade ? different sound signature. Personally these questions would arise. These are personal opinions answered below.

1/ Can Zx2 use Equalizer on transport toward Mojo ?
-Answer: No, unless using 3rd party app as Onkyo hifi player app. However 3rd party does not output any higher than 16/44.1. It down samples the quality before feeding into Mojo

2/ Would I think Zx2 as a transport toward Mojo is the best combo ?
-Answer: No. In my honest opinion, it would be a waste of money. Both out of the box offer different sound signature (be that I had to disable sound adjustment on zx2), why would I want to stack it and drain my zx2 battery.

3/ How does Mojo sound ? Is it good ? Can it beat Zx2 ?
-Answer: Mojo sounds good and very high-end. Yes! Very good. Yes and no, depends on circumstances. Out of the box Mojo edges out on Zx2, and the majority of people would make a purchase on the Mojo. So Yes, out of the box, Mojo sounds better than Zx2. If Zx2 has Sound adjustment app disabled and using TRRS connection, then Zx2 edges out on Mojo on soundstage, tonality and the immersive feeling

4/ If I never owned any quality portable devices, and would like to purchase one. Would I buy ZX2 or the Mojo ?
-Answer: I would definitely buy the Mojo. Because it pricing is great, it designs is fun, it is small and compact. It offers the sound quality that is high-end and unmatched at the sub $1000 price point by simply using standard cables that comes with all kind of head phones, and that means no need to bother with upgraded cables or balanced, or modify anything and dumb more money down the "black hole". Mojo also would drive many headphones without struggling.

4+/ Don't you like Zx2 ? As answered on the #4 question, it seems that you like the Mojo more ?
-Answer: Actually I do "love" Zx2, but for the fact that ZX2 needs the use of "TRRS" which can easily suck people into the "black hole" of snake oil cables, and may not ended up with any noticeable improvements while spending out a lot more, and that is not to say that there is no cables materials that offer me a noticable "upgrade and improvements". There is, and I vouch for solid-silver. I had referred a couple fellows to make the purchase and so far everyone can confirm the improvements. Beside, the sound adjustment app is a very tricky one as it only affect nuances extensions in the music, and without good observations and time spending on listening sessions + good revealing gears, it is more than unlikely that anyone can hear the differences. Simply put, Mojo edges out on the Zx2 out of the box, stock, and no need for any of modifications with a lot of power. Yes, the reason I would buy Mojo instead of Zx2.

5/ According to all of the answers above, would I trade my Zx2 here and now for the Mojo ?
-Answer: No, I would absolutely not be trading my Zx2 for the Mojo. Zx2 is a DAP, I don't need to feed it anything beside micro SD if needed. I am a DIY fellow, so I enjoy tinkering with my gears, and the fact that DIY skills can net in improvements from the ZX2 over the Mojo, I enjoyed it a lot more this way.

Thank you for reading guys. I will try to compose a detailed impressions and reviews on the Mojo and VS Zx2. Ask me any questions
smily_headphones1.gif

your great analysis had me 90% at NOT getting the mojo...

but then i saw these pics of your stack and i went to 150% NOT GETTING MOJO

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/8070#post_12209634

this is one UGLY stack

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #9,881 of 14,755
I was very happy with my ZX2 but something kept telling me to go for the QP1R. I did end up buying one and so glad I listened to that voice as it takes the sound quality to another level. Sure, it hasn't got the battery life of the ZX2 or the smoother UI but on sound alone? It will take you to heaven and back everytime you press play. I seriously have trouble putting it down! It's an amazing all in one unit, stacking is a thing of the past with that beauty.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #9,882 of 14,755
I was very happy with my ZX2 but something kept telling me to go for the QP1R. I did end up buying one and so glad I listened to that voice as it takes the sound quality to another level. Sure, it hasn't got the battery life of the ZX2 or the smoother UI but on sound alone? It will take you to heaven and back everytime you press play. I seriously have trouble putting it down! It's an amazing all in one unit, stacking is a thing of the past with that beauty.

Did you try using TRRS cables on your Zx2 ? And disable the sound adjustment app ?

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #9,885 of 14,755
I did, yes and the QP1R is still way ahead. I was and still am truly gobsmacked at how good it is. I've never heard anything this good before. Demo one if you get the chance.

Lol, I see, and this is a good review :wink:. Good enough for me to conclude something

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back