1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-ZX2 DAP

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Nov 16, 2014.
First

Back
644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653
655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664
Next

Last
  1. Whitigir
    Buy the Japan version of Zx2 for the best :D

2. paulchiu

what's different with the Japanese ZX2 edition?

3. davidmolliere

No stupid EU regulations is what's different, which means louder output

paulchiu likes this.
  4. Whitigir

Exactly, and has been confirmed many times by other forum fellows. I have zx2 Japan unit, and I can drive full size headphones without problems.

paulchiu likes this.
  5. nc8000 Contributor

Technically it is Sony that are stupid as the EU regulation only covers products sold with an included headphone as the volume only has meaning with a known pairing of source and headphone. As a stand alone player there are no regulations

6. Whitigir

Lol, the old saying "better be safe than sorry". A niche device as Zx2 once got struck by lawsuit could bring the end to everything....especially where Sony has just revised it Walkman line. We do not want to see that, I certainly don't :D

7. Caruryn
    That's because you have the good version.I wouldn't mind a bit of payback.

8. Caruryn
    http://hifisenses.com/portable-audio/sony-nw-zx100-portable-player.html

ZX100 vs ZX2

9. Buddhahacker
    Nice review. Thanks for pointing it out.

Caruryn likes this.
  10. tokyoskies

Lol, we certainly do not want that. The iPhone also has such a EU Volume limit, while the iPad does not as it doesn't come with headphones in the box. However, a user can turn this EU Volume Limit off in the iPhone settings, which would be desirable for ZX2 users as well. (Sorry, I also got the Jap version (^ ^:wink: 

It definitely made a difference to upgrade the headphone cable to TRRS/Silver, so the already (to my listening) sufficient power of the ZX2 got even better. I can't stress that enough. With stock cable I was listening to all my music 100% volume setting, whereas now I dial down for some albums to 90% to save my ears :wink: Now, this is true for my Z7 and I will try this on my Z5 in future as well, but I suppose it would apply to most phones out there.

I know we all have different listening preferences, genres we like and even physical differences when it comes to hearing ability and sensitivity. If I give my ZX2/Z7 to my colleague sitting next to me, he will turn down the volume, even if it was already dialled back to 90% volume.

Found it more dramatic to have no battery in the EU version of the PHA-3. 

They should have called it SPBLPTTJVHA-3 (Still Portable But Less Portable Than The Japanese Version Headphone Amp - 3)

11. Kerouac

Haha, good one! [​IMG]
    Or VPAWTROYPC-3 (very portable amp within the range of your power cable)
    Imo both Z5 and Z7 sound superb (they scale up in sq) from my Pono player in balanced mode [​IMG]
    More than enough power without using an amp. Can't imagine the PHA-3 will sound that much (or even) better...

12. tokyoskies

ha ha, also good. 

Agreed. Im sure it has its applications and its definitely a superb product, but I dont listen to music from iPhone&Co, so I wouldnt need it.

I am wondering what will be the successor to the ZX2. I dont think its the ZX100, so lets see what they come up with.

13. audioxxx
    After many hours of thinking about this, I am seriously considering the Noble k10u, I can't believe the fact I will be spending this much on iem's, but I can visualise the the value, if they can take me to the next level with the ZX2.
    Thankfully there is a demo of the new alloy version at our local dealer, and this is why it's now or never for me with the k10u, I don't like the idea of sticking cold alloy in my ears and don't like the update of materials used on the new version of the k10u.

So I need to buy the plastic version now before they are sold out, (while it's being cleared at a discount as well), so I think now is the time.

I am very sad for my wallet, but very excited at the thought of the update.:joy:

14. proedros

i would go for the rhapsodio solar, if i had your wallet.

cheers

Cagin likes this.
  15. kingdixon

i have been in the same boat before,

i wanted to get the k10u so bad, but it was out of my budget which was around 1000$, and i even couldn't find a good condition used one at this price,

at that time the classified had a mint angie for around 800$ and some friends advised me to try them out, so i pulled the trigger and they are just awesome also the synergy with zx2 is just amazing, and it looks very nice but the comfort might not be for everyone,

you can also try them if they are available at any shop around you.

also if you settle for the k10, you can read about the new custom sla, i think they are priced at 1300$ which is less than the universals i think.

but at this price point you can't go wrong, it is just about preferred signature and synergy with your dap.

First

Back
644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653
655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664
Next

Last