1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-ZX2 DAP

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Nov 16, 2014.
First

Back
637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646
648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657
Next

Last
  1. proedros

go for the Cowon P1 then - or if you buy ZX2 , install the Onkyo HF player which has an ama-balls-zing EQ circuitry

something like 16,384 points in the sonic spectrum where you can tinker the EQ 

you will probably spend more time playing with the EQ than listening to music [​IMG]

2. nc8000 Contributor

Provided that the digital out signal is taken after the apps eq processing. And if using an app a cheap Android phone would probably be a better again provided that the digital signal is taken after the eq processing

3. Uncle E1
    curious, when one is using any player as a transport to any external dac/amp, does the eq still works in changing the sound?

4. Sound Eq
    i thought the zx2 does not have eq wihen used with line out now the above confused me again

5. proedros
    i am very confused too and i am retiring for the night - good luck with your search [​IMG]

6. Sound Eq
    well i sent an offer to the thing u sent me :wink:

proedros likes this.
  7. nc8000 Contributor

Please dont use the term lineout as that is an analog signal that the Mojo cant use. The lineout signal almost certainly does support the app eq. The signal you want for Mojo is a digital signal and depending on where this is taken it may or may not support the eq, I dont know, and there might also be a difference between what the stock player can deliver and what an extra app can do. Again I dont know

8. Sound Eq
    line out or signal out those terms to me are confusing to me

i never thought a simple question if i can use eq from zx2 with the mojo will confuse the hell out of me

so i am sorry guys forget that question

9. nc8000 Contributor

Yes it is confusing. Your music is stored as a digital file. This file is loaded by the dac (just to confuse even more the ZX2 does not have a dac chip in the traditional sense but leave that). The dac converts the digital file to an analog signal and in the process does all the dsp (eq and the other sony features). This analog signal is then send both to the analog lineout for use with an external amp or to the ZX2 build in headphone amp and then to the headphone out. The digital out signal for use with an external dac like Mojo is taken from somewhere in the dac. If it is taken right at the start of the dac it will not support eq but it could also be taken after the eq processing has happened but before the signal is converted to analog in which case it will support the eq. This implementation will vary from dap to dap so there is no general answer to the qurstion if digital out supports eq.

Technically the eq could also be an analog processing done completely after the dac but I doubt that is the case here.

proedros likes this.
  10. Sound Eq
    thanks for being so patient and explanatory 

11. proedros
    i have to say that @nc8000 is a very helpful member indeed

his writing sometimes has a somehow Nordic aura of strict detachment (?) , but beneath this i see a very warm and helpful head-fier

cheers

12. Sound Eq
    all respect to @nc8000 

can i ask was my question so bad and naive :)

13. Caruryn
    I bet he's blushing right now [​IMG]

14. nc8000 Contributor

Thank you :)

No your question was neither bad nor naive, the reallity was just more complex than you imagined and therefore there is no simple answer and I dont know how Sony have implemented it and I dont have a digital out cable so I cant test it, only speculate on how it theoretically can be done. I know that Jamato has ZX2 and a Hugo so he might be able to give an actual answer

15. proedros

i expect something like 'stop with the kind words and enjoy your ZX2' [​IMG]

First

Back
637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646
648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657
Next

Last