SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 6, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #76 of 14,755

The ZX1 doesn't do native DSD though - it does DSD to PCM.  I haven't found any sources to confirm that the ZX2 does native DSD, and even more strangely the device doesn't show up in Japan yet but rather it got announced for the Chinese market first.

Either way the pricing makes complete sense to me when compared to the Astell & Kern line up, considering that the ZX1 is now squarely in the same price range as the AK100II, and as I said before, the ZX2 looks to be competing against the AK120II, and Sony is presumably aiming to do this by touting native DSD support which the AK120II doesn't do unless buyers are willing to go all the way to the AK240 which is double the price of both the AK120II and ZX2.  When positioned like this and trying to sell the device based on this feature, the ZX2 makes a lot of sense. 

I found it that info from a blog some where but I doubt that it will support DSD natively given that the ZX1 doesn't.  Pricing is fine but IMO it is rather high comparing to the ZX1.  I have the PHA-3 so it should already be at the top of Sony's audio lineup in term of sound quality.  I don't mind sacrificing a little sound quality and less storage space and save $500.  To be frank, the real upgrade b/w the ZX1 and 2 is a much better battery life on the ZX2.  I sure hope the ZX2 is able to match the sound quality of the AK240 as well (or close to it)

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #77 of 14,755
  I found it that info from a blog some where but I doubt that it will support DSD natively given that the ZX1 doesn't.  Pricing is fine but IMO it is rather high comparing to the ZX1.  I have the PHA-3 so it should already be at the top of Sony's audio lineup in term of sound quality.  I don't mind sacrificing a little sound quality and less storage space and save $500.  To be frank, the real upgrade b/w the ZX1 and 2 is a much better battery life on the ZX2.  I sure hope the ZX2 is able to match the sound quality of the AK240 as well (or close to it)

ZX1 only does DSD64, whereas from the official website the ZX2 supposedly does both DSD64 AND DSD128.  Also there's the dual clock with switching - one clock does the 44.1 88.2 and 176.4 and the other does 48, 96, 192.  Considering some people argue how the accuracy of the clock affects playback that's also another feature which the ZX1 doesn't have.

Does all these justify the hike?  Time will tell.  But it surely is not just a straight gut migration from the ZX1.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #78 of 14,755
  If you check out the sony style china page for the ZX2 which lomenhk has kindly linked to. The circuit board appears to be a more sophisticated rendition to the one Sony designed for the ZX1. There are some pretty exotic components on the new PCB including a supercapacitor—does anyone know how this might effect the amplifier?

But the question about where the extra weight is coming from looks to be mostly from a much larger battery as TRANCE has pointed out.

I don't feel that these improvements warrant a price increase of 60% from the ZX1, but I am pretty confident that the sound would be an interesting evolution. The amplifier design is quite unique amongst conventional DAP and portable amp design. Looking forward to some real-world impressions : )

Ok that's enough to make me buy the ZX2, yes its still overpriced, but the hardware has changed so I can't stop myself lol.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #80 of 14,755

The ZX1 doesn't do native DSD though - it does DSD to PCM.  I haven't found any sources to confirm that the ZX2 does native DSD, and even more strangely the device doesn't show up in Japan yet but rather it got announced for the Chinese market first.

Either way the pricing makes complete sense to me when compared to the Astell & Kern line up (which I'd think is currently the market leader for high end DAPs, if not the most prominent), considering that the ZX1 is now squarely in the same price range as the AK100II, and as I said before, the ZX2 looks to be competing against the AK120II, and Sony is presumably aiming to do this by touting native DSD support which the AK120II doesn't do unless buyers are willing to go all the way to the AK240 which is double the price of both the AK120II and ZX2.  When positioned like this and trying to sell the device based on this feature, the ZX2 makes a lot of sense. 

People are not all in agreement that DSD over PCM sounds worse than native DSD.

ZX1 only does DSD64, whereas from the official website the ZX2 supposedly does both DSD64 AND DSD128.  Also there's the dual clock with switching - one clock does the 44.1 88.2 and 176.4 and the other does 48, 96, 192.  Considering some people argue how the accuracy of the clock affects playback that's also another feature which the ZX1 doesn't have.

Does all these justify the hike?  Time will tell.  But it surely is not just a straight gut migration from the ZX1.

Wow so before you could listen to the 6 DSD albums availlable and now, well you still have those 6 but they sound (maybe) even better! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #81 of 14,755
So a better power supply sounds neat, and the larger battery will reduce impedance also, the circuit board and solder is also touted as high end, but the main thing I'm interested in is the super capacitor, It is another completely new thing for a dap, it will be most likely utilized as a form of burst mode power supply, so it will increase dynamism and impact. I'm def getting a ZX2 hehe.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #82 of 14,755
  More details here...wonder if what they mention on the internals was already in the ZX1'

https://blog.sony.com/press/sonys-new-portable-audio-products-provide-freedom-to-deliver-new-music-sound-experience/

The NW- ZX2 supports digital music files up to 192 kHz/24 bit and compatible file formats are MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, WAV and ALAC including DSD[1]

Caveat emptor turned out to be:

[1] Linear PCM conversion playback

Such a moot point to advertise DSD support and then kill someone's hope at the very end of a Press Release, LOL

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #83 of 14,755
  People are not all in agreement that DSD over PCM sounds worse than native DSD.
Wow so before you could listen to the 6 DSD albums availlable and now, well you still have those 6 but they sound (maybe) even better! 
biggrin.gif

And people argue that mp3 players shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks, that 320kbps mp3 is nearly transparent etc, your point being?

I'm just decoding how Sony is positioning this player relative to what's out there in the market.  Objectively speaking, they are pricing it in a range with some features which is better than their competition (presumably the AK120II), and from that POV, it makes sense and is nowhere near the ridiculous pricing that people are making it out to be when most other boutique players are in this range.  If you want to criticize Sony, then you have to condemn the entire high-end DAP market for being overpriced (which I agree).  

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #85 of 14,755

And people argue that mp3 players shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks, that 320kbps mp3 is nearly transparent etc, your point being?

I'm just decoding how Sony is positioning this player relative to what's out there in the market.  Objectively speaking, they are pricing it in a range with some features which is better than their competition (presumably the AK120II), and from that POV, it makes sense and is nowhere near the ridiculous pricing that people are making it out to be when most other boutique players are in this range.  If you want to criticize Sony, then you have to condemn the entire high-end DAP market for being overpriced (which I agree).  

Losen up up a bit I was kidding (hint : there is a smiley).

AK players are grossly overpriced IMO, but let us not get into this debate again. I own one, so i judge quite objectively. I think DSD is just a gimmick and it will pass, but once again that is just me, so do not take it as a personal attack as if you had invented DSD.

It is not because every other boutique DAP brand is being an a-hole that Sony HAS to do the same. The ZX1 was around 700 bucks, so unless there is more to it than more battery life, better DSD and sd card, 1200 bucks is a bit steep. They could even bring these new features AT THE SAME PRICE, like they sometines do with smart phones. If there is a significant increase in power and SQ (I did not like the ZX1 sound all that much) then 1200 bucks is "reasonable"

You have the right to disagree without being angry.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #88 of 14,755
  Also look out for ZX2 power specs, due to the super capacitor you can expect the power to be 3-4 times more than the ZX1 from what I know about super capacitors anyway.

More interested now.

Let's hope that is true.  Still it is a just a DAP, so I don't expect that much higher power rating coming from Sony.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #89 of 14,755
man look at the pics up in the thread, the ZX2 has improved power supply with 3 more os-con caps than zx1, the bigger battery will actually lower impedance and improve audio quality, the pcb and solder might be new and improved, and the main thing to focus on is the new super capacitor, this will definitely have a big effect on the sound, it should make the sound fuller and more dynamic, and at least double power of ZX2 over ZX1, but it could even be up to 4 times as powerful. This will make bass more solid and the over all sound will be less bright and more controlled while maintaining the S Master unique ability to cleanly project vocals and provide very clean and quick sound. So yeah ZX2 should be pretty awesome, I'll buy one as soon as Its available.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #90 of 14,755
  Also look out for ZX2 power specs, due to the super capacitor you can expect the power to be 3-4 times more than the ZX1 from what I know about super capacitors anyway.

Can't seem to find the power output specs on either the US or Chinese product pages. The Japanese page should advertise that tidbit of info once it goes live. More power would be a very welcome addition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back