SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2,386 of 14,755
I was looking at AK120II but I decided to go with ZX2 for the following reasons:

* Spotify. The way I discover new music is Spotify. This is also the only reason why I would use USB DAC on AK120 - just to listen to Spotify from work PC/laptop.
* Build. ZX2 is built like a tank and has a really good case out of the box.
* Price. Here in Russia ZX2 costs 900-1000 USD depending on our currency fluctuations.

However I don't think ZX2 can drive large headphones. I have B&W P7 and on classical recordings and on e.g. Pink Floyd "The Wall" which is recorded with high dynamic range I have to turn volume almost to the top.

Depends on which headphones. I'm using full size beyer dynamic T 90s (planar magnetic) right now and they sound great without an amp.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,387 of 14,755
When you say 'adjustment enabled to boost some bass' do you mean you used the equalizer grid or clear bass? the only Eq I use is clear bass on 2-3. (It has ten steps) Sony explains in the manual that EQ kills the battery, some as high as 70%, but clear bass is never mentioned.

Doing some spotify comparisons with vinyl recorded on a $50,000 system. it's amazing the differences, and not always the way you think it will go. Paul Simon Graceland album on vinyl rip and Spotify is a clear win for Spotify. Blue oyster cult first album on vinyl compared to Spotify version equals big win for vinyl. Sometimes the remasters on spotify are easily better than even the best original vinyl rips.

I only use clear bass, as I am not a big fan of using EQ in capable DAP....only on smartphones, and my home stereos :D......and when I use it...it means the systems need adjustments..............and yes, clear bass is a form of equalizer too!

As a long time enthusiast, it slowly evolving inside me...but the sounds I am chasing after is the weigh, power (the authority), the details, instruments differences....and natural/organic tones....clear vocal.....surprisingly....the ZX2 deliver it well in a small and portable package....only thing you need would be your favorite CIEMS or IEMS..:D And blast away

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2,388 of 14,755
A question was asked a while back about warranties in the U.S. on purchases made from Japan or UK.  I don't know how it would work with Sony's warranty, but Square Trade told me upon inquiry that I would not be able to buy a U.S. SquareTrade warranty on a foreign-sourced unit.  Plus, I don't want a Euro-unit because of EU regulations on headphone loudness (and possibly also on batteries, as in the crippled Euro PHA-3 amp). 

If you buy from Amazon US, you get the option right on the page to buy a SquareTrade drops-and-spills warranty (either 2 or 3 years):
Here's the link: http://amzn.to/1BPSflS

And, wow, just noticed Amazon is now listing the new mini-Amp, the PHA-1A, for $299:
http://amzn.to/18PtARW

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2,389 of 14,755
Turning off the Sound Adjustment will make the ZX2 a bit on the bright side....but it depends on the IEMS....it brought out a lot of sibilance in Fidue A83, a little brighter on FX750 which is already a warm and bassy pair....but not TTPOD T2....I got startled .....like.....this doesn't make any senses as people have been bashing the T2....

Anyways, I am still seeking after a good pair of IEMS which has the Warm side of the FX750....but less bass and boom :D

The T2 is satisfying somewhat...but the low mid details are not played out too well.....should I even try IM04?

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #2,390 of 14,755
What background processes have you got going in android while on standby? Trying to figure out what I can shut off to conserve battery. When I leave the unit, I stop the song playing and that's it, the screen shuts off after fifteen seconds. 8 hours later I play it again and the battery has dropped 5%. Disable everything with Google? The first 10% of the battery seems to drop really fast (2 hours use max) and I never get more than a 99% charge. It starts slowing down after that to average 3% per hour for MP3. I tried a reset but battery still won't hit 100% on full charge.

I've been curious about your battery issue for a while now—trying to figure out what the issue might be.

I think what needs to be done is to isolate the behavior of the battery from Android and from the hardware. How? Well, I don't think those three can be entirely decoupled. But consider this—Android obviously has it's own quirks, errata and such. The longer it runs the more you compound it's effects on battery drain. Likewise, if Sony didn't fine tune the hardware enough, you're going to end up with situations in which certain chips, or portions of chips will be powered up and pulling down current even when the system is in sleep mode. Again, the longer you leave the system "on", the more this effect will be compounded.

So I'm wondering: do you have any DSD files? Or anything hi-res? I'd suggest rebooting and charging up the ZX2 to full (in your case, 99%), and make a playlist consisting of nothing but the highest resolution files you have. Let that loop, with the screen powered off until the system shuts off. Also, I'd turn off all EQ and any post-processing options.
You should come up with runtime numbers similar to these:

Obviously, if you had even one 5.6MHz DSD file looping over and over, that would be best, as the battery should only last 16 hours—that would leave very little time for battery drain issues to compound due to either Android or chip inefficiencies.

If, however, you only get, lets say, 8 hours of playback, I think that would be the sign of a legitimately bad battery.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2,393 of 14,755
I've been curious about your battery issue for a while now—trying to figure out what the issue might be.

I think what needs to be done is to isolate the behavior of the battery from Android and from the hardware. How? Well, I don't think those three can be entirely decoupled. But consider this—Android obviously has it's own quirks, errata and such. The longer it runs the more you compound it's effects on battery drain. Likewise, if Sony didn't fine tune the hardware enough, you're going to end up with situations in which certain chips, or portions of chips will be powered up and pulling down current even when the system is in sleep mode. Again, the longer you leave the system "on", the more this effect will be compounded.

So I'm wondering: do you have any DSD files? Or anything hi-res? I'd suggest rebooting and charging up the ZX2 to full (in your case, 99%), and make a playlist consisting of nothing but the highest resolution files you have. Let that loop, with the screen powered off until the system shuts off. Also, I'd turn off all EQ and any post-processing options.
You should come up with runtime numbers similar to these:

Obviously, if you had even one 5.6MHz DSD file looping over and over, that would be best, as the battery should only last 16 hours—that would leave very little time for battery drain issues to compound due to either Android or chip inefficiencies.

If, however, you only get, lets say, 8 hours of playback, I think that would be the sign of a legitimately bad battery.

Thanks, I will try this. I have some DSD and will loop.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,394 of 14,755
Anybody else order from sony.ca ?  I wonder if sony.ca got a batch with bad batteries.  I think I'm gonna hold off on this one until Japan later this year.

I just got one of those Sony customer service online surveys. Gave Top marks for the quick 2 day delivery from the point they told me it was shipped, and the purchase process/service, but low marks for phone support and the guy who had no clue about zx2 and actually hung up on me before I even had a chance to explain the problem i was having. Sony should rename themselves to 'Jekyll and Hyde'.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,395 of 14,755
  @jonstatt I'm hoping I'm somewhere close to your order as I ordered at the end of Jan too. I'm doubtful I'll be in the first lot if only 6 have made it into the country so far.
I still have not heard back from Sony in regards to the ship date, even though they sent me an email replay saying it would be answered within 24hrs, maybe I should give them another poke and see if I can find anything else out

I've given up trying to find out anything useful about the UK orders. Today I was told the stock is arriving 9th, or the 13th, or the 25th and in the last conversation, that they should be arriving sometime today! I think they really have no idea what the stock situation is and I can't find the right person or right department that does. So it's either sit and wait, or order from Japan.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,397 of 14,755
  How much battery time should I get when looping this file?:

96 khz, 24 bit, 4608 kbps (DVD) This is ONE song and it's 596 mb.

Per Sony's chart, 43 hours.

If it were me, I'd start it looping and stick it in a drawer somewhere and not even touch it for precisely 24 hours. If you check it after 24 hours, the battery should probably be somewhere around 45% remaining. If it's a lot less than that, or if it has shut itself off already, you're probably looking at a bad battery.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,398 of 14,755
Per Sony's chart, 43 hours.

If it were me, I'd start it looping and stick it in a drawer somewhere and not even touch it for precisely 24 hours. If you check it after 24 hours, the battery should probably be somewhere around 45% remaining. If it's a lot less than that, or if it has shut itself off already, you're probably looking at a bad battery.

This is not a flac file. It's dsf. even though the details do not say it's a 5.6, it should give 16 hours. I'm trying to put the most demanding file on loop. I also downloaded a free test track which is confirmed as 5.6 and it's also about the same size as the one I am using. Not all file details will tell you if its 5.6 or not. But I haven't found anything larger to test than 400-600 MB for a four minute track.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2,399 of 14,755
I contacted them about the new hi res cradle thing and they took two weeks to answer my question, essentially no they aren't getting it for Canada at least.  I wonder if this is why the zx1 wont do that new update?  Either way how are people enjoying this new device?  God I am so tempted but $1344(shipping handling, environmental fee (LOL)) is a lot of crackers.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back